onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Salford City

There are plenty of clubs around Manchester who do well enough crowd wise. Rochdale, Bury, Oldham, Stockport (when they were in the league).

I think Salford deserves something like this. It is a pretty dreadful borough socially and economically.

Advert

Fair play to them. The problem I have is that they replace proper football clubs in the league. Teams like chesterfield, Stockport, wrexham etc that are good clubs with proper fans end up in non league and are replaced with teams such as FGR. It's crap playing FGR at home when we could have someone like Wrexham who might bring a few and generate an atmosphere. Also, how long will it be until we are one of the proper clubs dropping out and being replaced by Boreham Wood.

Sir, I don't often post on here anymore but I'll make an exception on this occasion to say how much I agree with this post. Also my biggest pet hate regarding these so called "Phoenix Clubs". Replacing proper Football League old guard such as Stockport, Wrexham, York etc. It's a shame that we're losing proper names in English football for bank rolled Sunday league sides.

I don't believe the vast majority of Vale fans want the owner to throw money at the club. I think the vast majority would just appreciate a little more transparency in the finances of the club. According to Norman, he has already thrown in £3 million and look where that's got us.
To be fair if ruddy Bournemouth can get someone pumping in millions it's only natural to be bloody jealous of them. Why can they get decent owners but we just get bloody penny pinchers.

Sir, I don't often post on here anymore but I'll make an exception on this occasion to say how much I agree with this post. Also my biggest pet hate regarding these so called "Phoenix Clubs". Replacing proper Football League old guard such as Stockport, Wrexham, York etc. It's a shame that we're losing proper names in English football for bank rolled Sunday league sides.

It’s staggering that people think they can choose who they deem worthy of league status. You’re watching the wrong sport for the tradition over money attitude

How has a thread about Neal going to Salford ended up with this pointless Norm debate?

Norm doesn't know what he's doing. Stop shoehorning him into everything.

"We've signed Luke Joyce; maybe Norman deserves praise?"

"Chris Neal has signed for Salford; insert tenuous link to veiled praise of Norm"

Let me enjoy my summer without reading tripe about him, in threads with naff all to do with him.

Cracking signing for Salford.

Don;t take htis as a dig at you Jean but this post is a prime example of V2001's lasting legacy. If those numpties hadn't have made fans hare holders, this misplaced sense of entitlement wouldn't exist. No one has the right to transparency, except the man who put his money in.

Railway Rowdy is also correct- the hypocrisy of some posters is mind blowing.

Not taken as a dig at all, Yukon, because I don't think I expressed myself properly. By transparency, I don't mean chapter and verse of each line in the accounts, I mean some sort of consistency from Norman in his statement about the finances. One minute we are losing £140,000 a month and the next minute we've made £400,000 profit. It makes no sense to me. I don't feel entitled to details of the accounts although Norman thought I did because he sent them to me last year!

I think Salford deserves something like this. It is a pretty dreadful borough socially and economically.

*city

It has its highs and lows. Parts of Salford have seen far more regeneration than Stoke has. MediaCity is an obvious example but also just other side of Deansgate & the Irwell, Chapel Street is pretty lively these days with loads of apartment blocks and development.

Having said that, trying to build their training ground on Chorlton/Sale greenbelt/nature reserve instead won't do much for Salford. I'm sure they could find a decent brownfield site in the city.

How has a thread about Neal going to Salford ended up with this pointless Norm debate?

Norm doesn't know what he's doing. Stop shoehorning him into everything.

"We've signed Luke Joyce; maybe Norman deserves praise?"

"Chris Neal has signed for Salford; insert tenuous link to veiled praise of Norm"

Let me enjoy my summer without reading tripe about him, in threads with naff all to do with him.

Cracking signing for Salford.

Really interesting point....I posted it to express my amazement when I saw it, but I see what you mean! Agree, incredible signing for them.

Think Salford like many in the football food chain (mk dons,fleetwood,fgr,wigan dave Whelan era,blackburn jack walker era etc etc) will rise from a lower platform which is easier when bank rolled- the tipping point will be when they reach a limit on the field for their investment versus the income the club generates and the newness/energy has gone.

They will have their day like others mentioned but agree once it levels off and mundane sets in its the fan base that then becomes more important and makes the difference between league and non league as a true level is found (there will always be exceptions to the rule)- accy will maybe survive 1-2 seasons same as new teams in the prem ,,

for instance stoke got promoted had a young lean team with a lower cost than when their contracts come up for renewal or if players become old and need to be replaced costs more in fees and money just to stay still which is what happened as stoke tried to live in budget get this part wrong and you drop cause you cant keep spending.

For me want vale to live within their means make some money, owner keeps a bit , a bit invested in the team a bit kept for stadium improvements/a needed loanee emergency cover - this will only get us so far maybe mid table league 1 stability until it all clicks for a promotion push then enjoy the ride until we then have to start the cycle again albeit in a much healthier stable position--as long as investment from what we generate and maximised from all income streams (ie advertising,marketing)comes mainly to the club no one can complain--in a nutshell stability and good recruitment and reinvestment of money generated is all key

Well if we want to play against traditional old fashioned long standing names then we should encourage the football league to close its doors and not allow anyone new in. Then next season we could be looking forward to going to exotic places to play in the north against Nelson, Bradfor PA, Gainsborough Trinity, Workington.

We could have some closer games, not quie derbies but not far to travel to Northwich Victoria or Glossop.

We could have a couple of nice days out at the seaside by going to Southport and New Brighton.

If we are missing a trip to Wales not to worry, Merthyr Town are waiting.

Also we get in a nice day out to London, our capital City, Thames are awaiting us.

As well as being able to enjoy these exotic encounters, on today of all days, we should remember that three FA Cup winners would never have made it to Wembley, they would still be playing non-league because they are not a "proper historic" old club from back in the day.

Oh and as a country we would have been denied one of our clubs winning a trophy in Europe.

I nearly forgot, we would also have been denied one particular win of the League title, to identify as the best team in the whole country. However, we would have kept in the FL all those "traditional" clubs.

To deny any football team and its fans the hope of promotion, the ability to dream the dream and think the impossible would be like denying a drowning man a life belt.

Football needs the challenge of winning and losing. To deny Salford City is to betray the history and tradition of the game that this country gave to the World.

Everything is impermanent. Therefore becoming attached to things that change will lead to disappointment. So I would love to see some traditional clubs back in the league and with Tranmere that's happened. But what about Macclesfield, is that a traditional club because it has been in the football league before and boasts a long non League pedigree as well?

Just have to accept what will be will be. Next year if the choice is say Salford City or Boreham Wood getting promoted them I would prefer Salford.

Been documentaries on TV about them over the past couple of years. Massive investment and ground developments and expect they will be an EFL outfit in 2019/20.

It’s fair enough if sides like these get invested and climb as with Fleetwood for example. It’s a sport after all but does seem to be killing the game with all these bankrolled sides, Boreham Wood, Ebbsfleet etc

I think its more realiatic to say killing off traditional sides.

Problem is to properly compete we meed massive investment. I am not bitter fair play to these sides just wish we had our turn.

It’s staggering that people think they can choose who they deem worthy of league status. You’re watching the wrong sport for the tradition over money attitude
True fact. Most long established teams were non league at one point. Its more what people know and how things were.

To future generations clubs like Salford could be known as the established league clubs and Stockport could be an up and coming non league side. Its football.

Archived