onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Stewart Talbot 1999

SourceOfTheTrent

Saw on the homepage that it's 19 years since Stewart Talbot had his leg snapped by that animal Paul Robinson (Watford at the time) in an horrific challenge that, amazingly, only got him booked! It was one of the worst challenges I've ever seen - Foley the Lardie thug on Aspo being the worst - on a football field and that includes all the Sunday football I ever played. I remember going to a Vale 'do' after the event and Talbot had some sort of caliper on his leg with Titanium bars going through his skin to help the bone to heal, pretty gruesome! He did brilliantly well to recover from that and I always thought what a good player he was, oh for a midfielder of his quality now!!

Advert

I remember it vividly and I was sat in the Railway Paddock directly opposite and couldn't believe the horrific nature of the tackle...no,.. assault because if you did that in the street you would be in jail! I have "hated" Robinson with a passion since and I don't use hate very often. He always came across as an obnoxious "wanna be hard man" but was just a to$$er.

19 years ago, wow! I liked Stewart Talbot but he was never the same after that cowardly assault.

Yes, agree with all above comments on Robinson. I may be wrong, but didn’t he also break someone else’s leg after that ?

As for Talbot, he was signed as the next Ian Taylor but never reached those dizzy heights.

In out excellent 96/7 campaign he was a regular away from home where Rudge adopted a 5 man midfield allowing him the freedom to support the lone Naylor up front. This was his best position and certainly best season.

However, when Rudge reverted to two up front for home matches, Talbot was left out to accommodate Lee Mills( now strangely titled Lee Morson-Mills !)

I liked Talbot, but unfortunately was always compared to Ian Taylor. Those were big boots to fill !

The comparisons were inevitable given that we signed him from the same non-league club.

That Watford team were on their way to back to back promotions but they were a right bunch of dirty sods. We scored from a penalty given for some off the ball nonsense from them. Rob Page also played that night I think.

I remember vividly that brutal attack on Stewart as I was in the Lorne Street at the time.Robinson has history of this type of behaviour and was also involved in another incident later on in his career when he broke the jaw of Birmingham's Damien Johnson while playing for West Brom in a local derby.

Can anyone remember that time he kicked off at someone in the Bycars?

Yeah, although I was in the Stand I remember it happening. Didn't he shank a cross into the Bycars and someone ran down the gangway to have a massive go at him?

I'd agree early on in his Vale career he was but improved rapidly from what I remember. Was excellent when we battered Norwich 6-1 in 1996.

To this day the best midfield display I have ever seen at Vale. He ran the entire game that day. Both goals were brilliant too. 25 yarder and the other I think he hit with the outside of his boot from a through ball.

Great player - good tackler, passer and strong - shows that you could pick some great players from non league in those days.

I suspect you probably still could today. But there are too many lazy managers who won’t get off their fat arses and follow up recommendations in person.

During the 80’s I would watch a fair bit of lower league and non league football in midweek, and a lot of the times you would see Rudge there also. How many managers do that nowadays ?

Very few I suspect.

Archived