onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

We hate Walsall! But ......

smithie

We're undoubtedly a bigger club than Mansfield. Always have been and always will be. However, I hate it when Vale fans get on their high horses about attendances, we have our fair share of shockers.

FWIW, if you take a out the 'perfect storm' Burton match and the promotion clincher against Northampton, our average for the other 21 home matches in 2012/13 was sub 5000. To put that into context, Chesterfield (a club many of us would class ourselves to be bigger than) are averaging 5375 in a season where they will likely finish bottom of the football league.

Yes, it's a shame about losing Chesterfield to non-league and I remember them reaching an FA Cup semi-final not so long ago.Tranmere were another club that have gone the same way with another good ground and support.

League Two seems to be swopping all-seaters for safe-standing grounds?

Advert

And if Walsall average say around 5000, but have only sold 6500 at £5 imagine how much money they will lose.

I understand what you are saying Butt lane. I suppose the hope is a short term pain for a long term gain. However, the Vale have a history of failing when we have a bigger crowd at Vale park. Usually we are struggling financially so no one wants to take the certain short term pain for some undefined potential benefit in the future.

I understand what you are saying Butt lane. I suppose the hope is a short term pain for a long term gain. However, the Vale have a history of failing when we have a bigger crowd at Vale park. Usually we are struggling financially so no one wants to take the certain short term pain for some undefined potential benefit in the future.

Certainly not Norman.

I actually suggested many years ago when Bill Bell was in charge that we set the playing budget based on income from 22 league games then choose one game during the season to offer free entry to all the walk ups. For that game you do everything you can to encourage the return of the floaters (bribing the ref if necessary!). The club would still have some income for various matchday sales so it wouldn't be a total loss and would give a clear indication of what the actual fansbase is. There is no point in marketing a product if no one wants to buy it, but it would make sense to me to find out how big your market actually is.

I'd love to see that, possibly first game of the season although that usually attracts a few more anyway.

L2 equates to a lot less than L1.

Not sure about that?

We seem to have gained a few extra Vale fans.

From the Sentinel.

"Remarkably, despite being near the foot of League Two, the average number of Vale fans at games is slightly up to 4,087 from 4,036 last season.

Overall Vale Park attendances are down, from 4,797 to 4, 570 but that is because there have been fewer away supporters at Vale Park this season, down to 483 from 761 when the club was in League One last year."

Who'd have thought it? 😁

Not sure about that?

We seem to have gained a few extra Vale fans.

From the Sentinel.

"Remarkably, despite being near the foot of League Two, the average number of Vale fans at games is slightly up to 4,087 from 4,036 last season.

Overall Vale Park attendances are down, from 4,797 to 4, 570 but that is because there have been fewer away supporters at Vale Park this season, down to 483 from 761 when the club was in League One last year."

Who'd have thought it?

I meant in terms of financial loss, as well you know. Garlick reported the figure in pre season. Hundreds of thousands. Your own post refers to the overall fall in average attendance compared to L1, hence fall in income. Your post has proven we have great supporters, despite everything they have to endure, and also helped to prove my original point that L2 equals a lot less money than L1. Thanks for that.

I meant in terms of financial loss, as well you know. Garlick reported the figure in pre season. Hundreds of thousands. Your own post refers to the overall fall in average attendance compared to L1, hence fall in income. Your post has proven we have great supporters, despite everything they have to endure, and also helped to prove my original point that L2 equals a lot less money than L1. Thanks for that.

It goes without saying really,it's like saying the Championship equals a lot less money than the Premier League?

The fact that our home support has actually increased after a relegation is more of a story, especially after ten home defeats.

It goes without saying really,it's like saying the Championship equals a lot less money than the Premier League?

The fact that our home support has actually increased after a relegation is more of a story, especially after ten home defeats.

You just argue for the sake of it don't you. Do you even remember what the original point was? Take a loss on a one off match to attract a bigger crowd to help avoid the drop, and the eventual loss in income.

Don't forget that only walk ups would get in for £5, season ticket holders paid more. They average 4700 so they have added over 4000 to the gate.

How many times would Northampton take 2000 away at normal price?The Lincoln game was free at the Vale and the crowd was?

Biggest game at the Bescot for ages.

Archived