onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Shopping list

RichG

Advert

To be brutally frank, I don't care where we get our players from, if they've played here before or they come from the moon. As long as they can improve a team that was the worst one in Port Vale's history and survived the trapdoor to oblivion by a single point, I couldn't care less about their past history.

Certainly, the likes of Dicko, Dodds, Neal, O'Connor, AJLS, Streete, Grant and the rest are all proven league one players and in general terms miles better than what we've currently got. Most would walk into last season's XI blindfolded.

However it seems that we are after other targets and for once in a blue moon we are told that we've actually bid for a couple of players. Who might they be? Godden at Stevenage? Dennis at Chesterfield? They are both looking to move.

I'm delighted that Aspin is under no illusions about our lack of goalscoring options currently and is trying to do something about it.

And from afar and trying to fill in the gaps through guesswork it appears that Aspin isn't pursuing players who have turned him down once, so the lad who came back last week has burned his bridges and so too maybe both Dodds and Whitfield.

But what a welcome change to see us being so proactive and so keen to get players through the door. Let's hope and pray that the sweetie jar isn't empty just yet.

It all depends if theres a short term gain with getting players like that in.

Take the left back position for example. We had a dedicated young left back on the books in Kelly. Aspin didn't play him and playing Gunning and then Monty there instead. When Monty got injured he played Davis, Gibbons and Pugh before Kelly. So Aspin went with his trusted players rather than someone who was an untried but still a dedicated left back.

I'd imagine that Monty could well start the new season as first choice left back, but if he gets injured (he seems to have dodgy hamstrings) who will play there? Surely we don't want to be switching players around again and moving Gibbons there for example. Obviously we need full back cover so does Apsin go for a cheaper younger left back as cover/competition or get someone in like Dicko who at his age probably won't get paid a great deal but becomes a good squad player with valuable experience?

Kelly had been sent out on loan by Brown before Aspin arrived. He was playing two levels below our league and was sent out again to the same level in January.

Nothing wront with a player returning as long as they can do the job.

I would agree with that. In Dicko's case I would need convincing he hasn't got even slower and would therefore get skinned on a regular basis.

I like pacy left backs a la Darren Hughes. I think Monty could be one of those for us which upsets many opposition teams because they don't often come up against it.

Aspo has shown (in my opinion) that he can get the best out of players such as Pope, Gibbo, Monty, etc...

He is the man for the job of rebuilding. He needs to be backed by NS if he is to get his targets. A decent striker will cost money. Such a signing will increase season ticket sales. A promotion campaign will increase the pay on the day revenue. Teams that score lots usually go up.

I would agree with that. In Dicko's case I would need convincing he hasn't got even slower and would therefore get skinned on a regular basis.

I like pacy left backs a la Darren Hughes. I think Monty could be one of those for us which upsets many opposition teams because they don't often come up against it.

Jones was keeping Dicko out of the side for much of this season I think.

Interesting that in Aspin's press conference he also stated that Joyce could have gone to a lower league and earned more money.

Its not the first time he has made a comment about that, saying in the past something along the lines of the fact that the players he is looking at wouldn't be coming for the money as its not that much.

i think hes selling the player to the fans as wanting to be here, people keep jumping on this line from Aspin that hes saying players arent coming for the money. You cant just jump to conclusions and say theres a pittance to spend and the owner is not putting money in when he also talking about bidding for strikers. I think theres just a common sense theme from Aspin that we arent breaking the bank for signings but we are spending wisely on players who want the opportunity at what is a big club for this league. Hes also not daft enough to put forward the fact we have a very good budget in the press. If he does every agent in the lower leagues will put another 500 quid a week on their contract demands if we are interested. Not every comment is a losely veiled dig at the owner as many would like

Stupid comment. Dicko would be a great signing and should never have left in the first place.

Dicko would be a liability in my opinion these days, he used to get caught out of position 2-3 seasons ago. if hes even slower now he would be very very weak defensively going forward or just command a 5m x 5m box and give us nothing supporting the left side. Monty does a decent job going forward and getting back Dicko is a spent force and needs leaving in the history books

Wonder who these two strikers we've bid for are?

Going off Aspin saying he wanted players that have been proven in the football league, I'd maybe guess at Kristian Dennis and/or John Akinde who fit the bill and are both looking to leave? Both seem overly ambitious though based on our recent history of recruitment!

Someone who I'd also be interested in is Junior Morais at Peterborough who is transfer listed. 22 years old, 10 goals in 45 games at L1 level and maybe someone that Aspin knows from his non-league days?

Wonder who these two strikers we've bid for are?

Going off Aspin saying he wanted players that have been proven in the football league, I'd maybe guess at Kristian Dennis and/or John Akinde who fit the bill and are both looking to leave? Both seem overly ambitious though based on our recent history of recruitment!

Someone who I'd also be interested in is Junior Morais at Peterborough who is transfer listed. 22 years old, 10 goals in 45 games at L1 level and maybe someone that Aspin knows from his non-league days?

I reckon most likely players transfer listed at clubs above us rather than Akinde and Dennis (reckon there will be League 1 sides sniffing around those lads). Awesome news we are bidding though

To be brutally frank, I don't care where we get our players from, if they've played here before or they come from the moon. As long as they can improve a team that was the worst one in Port Vale's history and survived the trapdoor to oblivion by a single point, I couldn't care less about their past history.

Certainly, the likes of Dicko, Dodds, Neal, O'Connor, AJLS, Streete, Grant and the rest are all proven league one players and in general terms miles better than what we've currently got. Most would walk into last season's XI blindfolded.

However it seems that we are after other targets and for once in a blue moon we are told that we've actually bid for a couple of players. Who might they be? Godden at Stevenage? Dennis at Chesterfield? They are both looking to move.

I'm delighted that Aspin is under no illusions about our lack of goalscoring options currently and is trying to do something about it.

And from afar and trying to fill in the gaps through guesswork it appears that Aspin isn't pursuing players who have turned him down once, so the lad who came back last week has burned his bridges and so too maybe both Dodds and Whitfield.

But what a welcome change to see us being so proactive and so keen to get players through the door. Let's hope and pray that the sweetie jar isn't empty just yet.

Godden totally out of our league, Posh agreed a fee, knowing the way they do business i'd expect maybe 250 grand.

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/05/17/por-posh-agree-fee-for-stevenage-striker-godden/

That's interesting, ta.

I didn't know he was that highly rated. I thought he'd only scored one goal since Xmas, but realised that he'd score a few before then.

But this is our problem isn't it? Anyone who can guarantee us 10-15 goals is going to (a) cost money, perhaps more than we've got, and (b) be in huge demand. I don't honestly know where we're going to find them.

Was Rowe on loan at Lincoln or did he sign for them?

Williams went to big spending Northampton from Doncaster.

We couldn't afford Marc Richards in January, or so I'm led to believe.

Who else is out there who realistically we can attract and afford? We probably need more than one scorer, two more at least in my view.

Perhaps the Hopper rumour has something in it. Or maybe Rudge knows of a few lads in the youth sides/reserves of Championship clubs who might be worth a gamble. Fortunately it's still very early days but players are getting snapped up now on a daily basis.

Shall I give Martin Foyle a buzz?

Rowe was on loan to Lincoln from Ipswich Sage when he tore Davis a new one the other week.

It is going to be very difficult to pluck a gem for nothing , Posh are notorious for paying decent fees for chancers and selling them on.

Dwight Gayle

Assombolonga

Marriot ( rumoured to be going )

Mackail-Smith

Conor Washington

No i haven't googled that little lot !!!

They will pay decent money for Godden and probably sell him for triple in 18 months time.

Shola Ameobi is available though :laugh:

I guess what we need are 10 goals to supplement Popey and a midfielder scoring a few.

Archived