onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Shopping list

RichG

I would have Dodds back. He would liven up the attacking threat in midfield. However he was as many have pointed out the first team certainty we need.

It depends on the money. As a cheap option yes, he gets on with Pope and he played he best football with Dodds in the team.

Paying him big money in the expectation he would be a top squad member would be crazy. He isn’t that. Never was.

Probably up to Popey to put the case for a squad minor role to Aspin.

Advert

Absolutely agree with you. We can get better than Dodds now. Ok he was useful and at times half decent but spasmodically and went missing more times than I've watched Vale over the past 30 plus years. Get over Valiants, this mad, mad fixation on previous players for us! There's a big footballing world out there and Aspin will suss out who is going to push us forward. Dodds won't, imo.

Amen sir

Dodds was always a bit of a conundrum at the Vale. Every new manager started trying to build a team around him and he invariably ended up on the bench after about 15 games. Never quite strong enough to play up front or quick enough to play out wide. Not really a player who can play in a central midfield role, unless in a 3, or as a 10 just behind a striker. He's probably a player to build a team around or steer away from. I suspect he's on good money at Chesterfield, so it's probably accademic. He's of an age where he only has a few years left and probably maximise his earnings.

It’s called being crap not good in any position at any level

Isn’t he still on contract at Bury for another year?

He is. Doesn't seem that long ago many Vale fans were urging the club to follow the Bury model. They're now back in division 2, with most players being on over market value salaries and long-term contracts.

As we tried to sign him as recently as January it really wouldn't be a surprise if Aspin goes for him again.

From what I heard he was around the ground a lot in January, he wanted to come back and offered himself to us at a big drop from his Shrewsbury money (not even a grand a week), we wouldn’t meet that and dithered around, in the meantime Chesterfield swooped in and paid him a lot more than what he asked vale for anyway. So he went there.

As someone already posted, Walter maybe, theres a lot of negativity on here about players, past and present, no matter who’s name is mentioned. A lot of it is just ridiculously over the top and I think some people just can’t see the wood for the trees with them. On the flip side I have a couple of mates who are Shrewsbury season ticket holders, they couldn’t say enough good things about Dodds, but the fact is they had some better and more mobile players in that area, so he fell down the pecking order. I have no idea what went on at chesterfield, but i believe he picked up an injury.

For me Dodds is under rated. He’s not necessarily a player who will play he game at 100mph or pick up the ball and run at the opposition and put one in the top corner which I think is the only type of player that would get no criticism on here. But we saw against Shrewsbury in that cup game that he is still a clever player who doesn’t need to run around like a madman, if you have the the right players moving around him he can find them with clever quick one touch passes and good movement himself. I think he set up a goal that day with some good link up play around the box. I think he could still offer something and more importantly offer something different, we don’t have a player like that who can see a clever little pass early or be a link man. That’s not an endorsement or a get him in now plea. But if Aspin thinks he can do us a job then I’d support that. All I’m saying is that type of player with those attributes would be a good addition to our squad.

It’s all well and good saying we can get better than Dodds, maybe we can, but we are a club who were relegated and then came within a point of going out of the league so we might not be able to attract that better player and may have to settle for someone like him in the short term.

Enough of the dodds thing now. It’s every transfer window. He’s just been relegated with bottom of the league and couldn’t even make their team the majority of the time and when he did had literally no impact.

There’s a clear reason vale didn’t want to pay what they did in January. He’s really not that good. I’d be extremely disappointed if we were even interested in bringing him back this time.

Move on.

From what I heard he was around the ground a lot in January, he wanted to come back and offered himself to us at a big drop from his Shrewsbury money (not even a grand a week), we wouldn’t meet that and dithered around, in the meantime Chesterfield swooped in and paid him a lot more than what he asked vale for anyway. So he went there.

As someone already posted, Walter maybe, theres a lot of negativity on here about players, past and present, no matter who’s name is mentioned. A lot of it is just ridiculously over the top and I think some people just can’t see the wood for the trees with them. On the flip side I have a couple of mates who are Shrewsbury season ticket holders, they couldn’t say enough good things about Dodds, but the fact is they had some better and more mobile players in that area, so he fell down the pecking order. I have no idea what went on at chesterfield, but i believe he picked up an injury.

For me Dodds is under rated. He’s not necessarily a player who will play he game at 100mph or pick up the ball and run at the opposition and put one in the top corner which I think is the only type of player that would get no criticism on here. But we saw against Shrewsbury in that cup game that he is still a clever player who doesn’t need to run around like a madman, if you have the the right players moving around him he can find them with clever quick one touch passes and good movement himself. I think he set up a goal that day with some good link up play around the box. I think he could still offer something and more importantly offer something different, we don’t have a player like that who can see a clever little pass early or be a link man. That’s not an endorsement or a get him in now plea. But if Aspin thinks he can do us a job then I’d support that. All I’m saying is that type of player with those attributes would be a good addition to our squad.

It’s all well and good saying we can get better than Dodds, maybe we can, but we are a club who were relegated and then came within a point of going out of the league so we might not be able to attract that better player and may have to settle for someone like him in the short term.

Brilliant summary. At £1k a week I would snap his hand off.

Excellent well balanced post.

How dare you call anyone from Smallthorne a chancer Tylerla?’One of our own’ or ‘Clampett’acceptable but ‘Chancer’??!!!

To be fair Daniels is on a 6 month contract , lets hope he shows he is up to it and if he does that we can keep him in January on the other hand if he doesn't its a good call ..he looks like what we need and hopefully can reach his proposed potential but wouldn't say he is a guaranteed starter so maybe another player proven in the spine maybe needed

Would have Doddsy back in a second. He would have walked into the teams of the last two seasons.
That says more about the garbage teams of the last two seasons.

There are better players than Dodds out there right now. He's not what we need for another relegation battle.

Archived