onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Shopping list

RichG

Finally - perspective! Lots of bigger clubs than us have / have had crackpot owners. We do ok for gates, considering we are so close to Premi...hahaha EX-Premiership outfit Sjoke. And Vale Park has its faults, but a better catering system would help forget those, and plenty of players like Chris Coleman, Stan Collymore plus those players of ours who went on to better things have enjoyed playing on Vale's huge pitch.

Advert

Pie in the sky i know but i see Godden is leaving Stevenage and they want offers for a player with 12mths left on his deal(so thats the sticking point),i dont think it would take mega money to get him and a goal every other game is a decent return...prob end up league one though

Going to Peterborough isn’t he?

I'd love us to sign Dodds, it would wind so many people up.

Why waste our so called miserly budget on a bench warmer like Dodds when we could get a regular first teamer for less wages.

Let him warm the bench in the Conference with Chesterfield.

My respect for Neil Aspin would go out of the window if he can’t find someone better than Dodds with his budget.

He was desperate for players in January and maybe Dodds would have done as a stop gap but surely there is better players available now.

Pie in the sky i know but i see Godden is leaving Stevenage and they want offers for a player with 12mths left on his deal(so thats the sticking point),i dont think it would take mega money to get him and a goal every other game is a decent return...prob end up league one though

Probably, would depend on how desperate they are to sell him and the competition, and of course the usual considerations.

I'll never forget the 0.1 home defeat to Middlesbrough back in the 90's. They nicked a goal, and we absolutely hammered them all game, but couldn't get past Scwarzer in their goal. First and only time I've seen a standing ovation and not 1 boo following a home defeat!

Absolutely - seen a good few games with no goals, or just the one. Seen a surprising number of lost games where the team went off to a great reception - because the effort was there. And seen a lot of games with plenty of goals: satisfying 7s going in against Norwich and, I think, WBA; the 4-4 against Villa...and the other 4-4...point is, you don't have to have goals to be entertained - it's just nicer!

Ive seen a lot of games over last 30 years but the last 2 years especially since the Fa Cup defeat to exeter have being abysmal .

We had the Grant saga the getting rid of the supposed dead wood players who were anything but then the foreign experiment ,then Browns weplay every game to draw 0-0 rubbish they a glimmer of hope around xmas newyear where we finally looked like we were watching a team who wants it then the Gunning saga and rest of season stumbling to safety withinept after inept performances onthe whole .

So big job for Aspo and his backroom staff .

Do i want see style or substance .

If im honest i like see style i loved the way Nicky Cross backflicked it in v Wrexham in a promotion season ,the way kay hammered home v Crewe the way Whitfield crashed that beautiful goal v Chesterfield .

Its league two and in order for Vale to climb the league there has to be more players putting there bodies on the line ,its being that bad i cannot remember many occassions of this happening and it needs to .

As for dodds he scores goals very good ones aswell and he is great around the changing room im led to believe so its a YES from me however its downto Aspin and if he manages like he plays the good ship Vale will turn around but it wont if players have tin pot attitudes and apllication UTV

Dodds was always a bit of a conundrum at the Vale. Every new manager started trying to build a team around him and he invariably ended up on the bench after about 15 games. Never quite strong enough to play up front or quick enough to play out wide. Not really a player who can play in a central midfield role, unless in a 3, or as a 10 just behind a striker. He's probably a player to build a team around or steer away from. I suspect he's on good money at Chesterfield, so it's probably accademic. He's of an age where he only has a few years left and probably maximise his earnings.

Dodds was always a bit of a conundrum at the Vale. Every new manager started trying to build a team around him and he invariably ended up on the bench after about 15 games. Never quite strong enough to play up front or quick enough to play out wide. Not really a player who can play in a central midfield role, unless in a 3, or as a 10 just behind a striker. He's probably a player to build a team around or steer away from. I suspect he's on good money at Chesterfield, so it's probably accademic. He's of an age where he only has a few years left and probably maximise his earnings.

Very good analysis

I'll never forget the 0.1 home defeat to Middlesbrough back in the 90's. They nicked a goal, and we absolutely hammered them all game, but couldn't get past Scwarzer in their goal. First and only time I've seen a standing ovation and not 1 boo following a home defeat!

Oh yes i remember that one Merson did us but we were so good and Ainsworth was outstanding

Oh my word,this Dodds fixation amazes me,went missing in games,one good game then hides in the next 8....started the season at a team chasing the Championship and couldn't get in that team(scored goals for them the previous season but must of then sussed him out,we couldn't do that in 8yrs) so went to a team facing relegation to non league and couldn't get in that team,blow me and people want us to improve the squad.....errrrrmmmm ok

Its a fair point. I loved Dodds when he was with us, but as you quite rightly say, he couldn't get in a poor Chesterfield team.

Time to move on. Good in the dressing room or not.

I'm sure there are better players available than doddsy but it's up to the manager to make that decision on whether to sign him or not.I would doubt if he was on aspo's radar considering the signings made up to now Louis would probably be considered a backward step .

I would have Dodds back. He would liven up the attacking threat in midfield. However he was as many have pointed out the first team certainty we need.

It depends on the money. As a cheap option yes, he gets on with Pope and he played he best football with Dodds in the team.

Paying him big money in the expectation he would be a top squad member would be crazy. He isn’t that. Never was.

Archived