onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Favourite loan players to play for us

darren1810

Two equal for me Keith Leonard from Villa and Tony Sealy. Both did so well they were recalled by their clubs and both played at Wembley in the League Cup Final within a year or so. If really pushed would have to go with Sealy he brightened the whole place in what was probably our poorest ever team.

Correct on all points EV. When he first joined Leonard was about as good as Viljannen, but blossomed with games. Sadly, not enough goals.

Typical McGrath quote above Sealy, “he’s quick enough to catch pigeon’s” !

Advert

What about Alex Jones, 10 goals in 21 games in that team pretty phenomenal, if he'd have stayed we would still have been in Lge 1.

Agree with Tony Sealy, phenomenal pace and composure.

Ray Walker has to be the best ever Vale loanee, 1st Division feet playing in the 3rd Division

• 4 weeks later...
PS If we are having a separate vote for players who then went on to sign for us permanently I would go for Tony Lacey. Clearly Ray Walker was the best ever player who started on loan and then signed permanently. However as a loan player Ray was good but did not make a huge impact. Tony Lacy joined us when we had dropped off the pace in the old Division 4. Many of us older fans will remember that wonderful night in 1970 when we played Hartlepool and won 3-0 with their GK being bombed by snowballs. Tony Lacy scored his first Vale goal in that game. He added assurance to our midfield and a little bit of steel when needed.

Ha.. what fun that was..... C'mon goalie!!!!!!

I think I'd struggle to pick between Keith Leonard and Nev Southall. I liked Chris Killen too; good player

The fact that after almost 40 years so many say Tony Sealy confirms how good he was. He played in the worse Vale team in modern times. His arrival was the start of our renaissance. John Rudge had not long been here. I wonder what Rudgie would say about this excellent thread?

As you say he was the start of our renaissance, which is why he's so fondly remembered. His quality and workrate stood out and he seemed to drag the rest of the team up a level. Class.

• 4 months later...

Archived