onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Favourite loan players to play for us

darren1810

Advert

Two equal for me Keith Leonard from Villa and Tony Sealy. Both did so well they were recalled by their clubs and both played at Wembley in the League Cup Final within a year or so. If really pushed would have to go with Sealy he brightened the whole place in what was probably our poorest ever team.

Oh yes......Keith Leonard was my hero....big old fashioned barrel chested centre forward. I bet not many remember him Essex! Good call on Tony Sealey, too. :clap::thumbs:

Did he play in the Spurs away game when we lost 3-1?

Constantine putting us 1-0 had me thinking we'd do it, remember Colin Miles and Goodlad having worldies that night.

What a night that was! Seeing our lads competing with the likes of Edgar Davids, Berbatov and a young Aaron Lennon stifled by Colin Miles of all people. Didn't get home till about 3am and was happy even though we lost. 12 years ago now, Jesus!

Back on loan signings, Craig Davies wasn't bad for us was he?

David Lowe I will always remember for the Brighton game in 92 when we were 1-0 down and Rudge moved Swan up front to play as a target man with him. We won 2-1 and it looked like we were going to save ourselves from relegation.

David Lowe for me.

I didn't realise Raw Walker was initially on loan. Popey and Walker would be joint winners in that category. Andy Jones back on loan was a boost. Chris Killen and Billy Knott both did very well, as did Alex Jones last year. Anderson this season was excellent under Aspo alongside Smith. That's when we picked up most points this season.

Krystian Pearce and Chris Herd were the best of a truly awful bunch of players around 2007-2009.

Yes good loan signing Chris Herd from the Villa. A fast winger who took a man on. Only a young slight lad but got stuck in. Remember me and my mate saying if he doesn't make it no one will.

What about Jan Jansson who joined us on loan from Norrköping. A great player who should make the list for his 2 goals, away to Huddersfield, in the last game of the 97-98 season alone.

As kids me and my mate knocked on Jan Jannsens in Westbury Park and his Mrs (gorgeous!) invited us in for tea. Lovely.

I'd go for David Lowe who really tipped the balance for us in the 93-94 season, helping us to finish second. I remember in particular we lost a crucial game late in the season at Stockport who, with Plymouth, were breathing down our necks, and it looked as if we might not win automatic promotion. We then went on a great run, winning our last five games, with Lowey scoring in two of them. He used to make great runs pointing exactly where he wanted the ball and with Vanders, Taylor and Kenty in midfield, he usually got it. Great player (now assistant manager at Blackburn, I think).

PS If we are having a separate vote for players who then went on to sign for us permanently I would go for Tony Lacey. Clearly Ray Walker was the best ever player who started on loan and then signed permanently. However as a loan player Ray was good but did not make a huge impact. Tony Lacy joined us when we had dropped off the pace in the old Division 4. Many of us older fans will remember that wonderful night in 1970 when we played Hartlepool and won 3-0 with their GK being bombed by snowballs. Tony Lacy scored his first Vale goal in that game. He added assurance to our midfield and a little bit of steel when needed.

Remember that game against Pool. The whole of the Bycars trooped round the pitch at half time to the Hamill End which hadn't been cleared of snow. Their goalie gave us a cheery wave at the start of the second, turned to face the game and ended up looking like a snowman. Felt a bit sorry for him really, he must have been frozen. :smile:

Archived