onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Favourite loan players to play for us

darren1810

Thought i delve into the memory banks, based on the popularity of Howkins.

Who sticks out as loan signings who made the biggest impression on you?

The younger ones won't have a clue on some of mine but recent loan signings have been less than impressive.

Mark Lawrence 82/83 Promotion season, mainly sticks out for his performance at Tranmere, but played a vital part.

David Lowe 92 and 94 Only played maybe 30 games during his 2 spells on loan, tireless worker who never failed to give 100 % , possibly my favourite loan player ever.

Kevin Scott Vital signing on loan from Spurs mid 90's , helped us to stay up but we couldn't afford to buy him.

Also a mention for Tony Sealy as another good loan signing back in the day.

We have had loads of loanees in the past few seasons and to be honest none stick out in the memory. Certainly Howkins has impressed the majority of us and actually looks like he gives a damn unlike most loan signings.

Advert

Couple of goalies, Mike Stowell, Neville Southall

Southall was absolutely brilliant for us but I thought Stowell was woeful even if he did go on to have a decent career.

How about Alex Williams? Wasn't he on loan before we signed him permanently? A superb keeper and it was so sad he had to retire with a back injury.

We had a forward on loan from Ipswich during the Rudge years - Think his name was Andy Little but can't be 100%. I loved his attitude. Ran himself into the the ground for us. I remember one game when he chased a ball down from the half way line and you could tell at the end he was ******! Dragged himself back onside... then chased another long ball down. Absolute quality in terms of effort and a damn good player too.

Two equal for me Keith Leonard from Villa and Tony Sealy. Both did so well they were recalled by their clubs and both played at Wembley in the League Cup Final within a year or so. If really pushed would have to go with Sealy he brightened the whole place in what was probably our poorest ever team.

PS If we are having a separate vote for players who then went on to sign for us permanently I would go for Tony Lacey. Clearly Ray Walker was the best ever player who started on loan and then signed permanently. However as a loan player Ray was good but did not make a huge impact. Tony Lacy joined us when we had dropped off the pace in the old Division 4. Many of us older fans will remember that wonderful night in 1970 when we played Hartlepool and won 3-0 with their GK being bombed by snowballs. Tony Lacy scored his first Vale goal in that game. He added assurance to our midfield and a little bit of steel when needed.

We had a forward on loan from Ipswich during the Rudge years - Think his name was Andy Little but can't be 100%. I loved his attitude. Ran himself into the the ground for us. I remember one game when he chased a ball down from the half way line and you could tell at the end he was ******! Dragged himself back onside... then chased another long ball down. Absolute quality in terms of effort and a damn good player too.

Alan Lee? (Not from Ipswich but Andy Little came from Rangers and wasn't with us during the Rudge years)

Archived