onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Safe standing

Jacko51

Advert

Agreed, fencing and policing were the issues not safe standing.

I agree that safe standing shouldn’t be an issue. However, the problem was that many grounds didn’t have safe standing. Things needed to change. Maybe they threw the baby out with the bath water, but if it was a choice between what there is now and what there was then, there’s no debate.

Agreed that things had to change but all the blame fell on to the fans head. You let too many in to stand it doesn’t matter wether there is standing or seating you are going to have problems.
True, but the German system prevents crowd surges even if fans try to concentrate in one spot in spite of crowd control measures. I suspect quite expensive, no doubt Prem clubs will be seeking a grant to introduce the system, and will probably maintain prices. Big advantage to me is to segregate people who prefer to stand and those that prefer/need to sit.

I personally see no advantage in standing area’s, whether it be “safe” or otherwise. Anyone who witnessed (albeit only on tv) those appalling scenes at Hillsborough would not want to go back to those days. To me, it would be a retrograde move with little, if any, meaningful purpose.

I personally see no advantage in standing area’s, whether it be “safe” or otherwise. Anyone who witnessed (albeit only on tv) those appalling scenes at Hillsborough would not want to go back to those days. To me, it would be a retrograde move with little, if any, meaningful purpose.
The causes for Hillsborough were criminal and well documented. Standing is preferred by large numbers of fans, why do people stand to sing? Germany have developed a perfectly safe system, and used by Celtic so easily observed in Britain. The existing seating systems where people are allowed to stand are not as safe, so there is a risk there, are we going to wait for something to happen?

Those scenes happened because the gates were opened which let too many fans in to the stand. The same consequences would have happened had it been a seated area. It’s simple, have a capacity and stick to it.

I personally see no advantage in standing area’s, whether it be “safe” or otherwise.

That is because you are not a dwarf with arthritic knees.

Anyone who witnessed (albeit only on tv) those appalling scenes at Hillsborough would not want to go back to those days. To me, it would be a retrograde move with little, if any, meaningful purpose.

Who wants to go back to the overcrowded terraces in ramshackle stadia like Hillsborough of 1989? Nobody. Who wants to have areas in a stadium where fans can stand legally without disobeying ground regulations and blocking the view of people who prefer to sit? Loads.

Standing in seated areas is inherently unsafe. The rake in seated areas is steeper than we used to see on old terraces and yet the only "barrier" stopping folk falling is the back of the plastic seat in front which comes about half way up your shins. I have been in the away sections of Premier League grounds where everyone is standing and had drunken blokes behind falling on top of me. It's not nice. Rail seating which can be easily converted to standing where everyone has a barrier in front of them is considerably safer.

If we were in Covent Garden Opera House and half the audience stood up blocking the view of others there would be hell up. But we are just football fans so we don't count.

Those scenes happened because the gates were opened which let too many fans in to the stand. The same consequences would have happened had it been a seated area. It’s simple, have a capacity and stick to it.

wish it was as simple as that, wouldnt have taken nearly 30yrs ..

Standing in itself isn't the issue, more the policing the attitudes the stewarding towards fans in general and common sense plus the fa who have hid in all of this..all which were devoid by the authorities especially after near missed and broken legs and issues in previous semi finals.

remember taking my mrs and much younger son to burton v vale , got there early plenty of time got our spot yet ended up pn the tarmac behind the goal, managed to utilise the stewards seat in the corner whilst a vale fan with a much younger lad was being pushed back into the stand and told he would be arrested if he didn't..I had a go at a steward saying there was too many in the end and to move their fans down the end put a row of stewards didn't listed but it ended up that way anyway -the next year our allocation was reduced by 500..

at least with seat you have your space but understand why standing is wanted unfortunately the establishment dragged the disaster on by covering up what really happened with smears and lies which will mean they will be more reluctant to reverse and until their is a concerted effort from all parties and procedures put in place both outside and inside the the grounds I think grounds need to remain as they are.

Once again, I think you are misunderstanding what is being suggested. Rail seating/standing is not the same as the sort of terracing at Burton.

Not at all ,

Its got to be fully thought through and agreed via all concerned, the point re:burton wasn't the issue with standing as standing alone doesn't cause problems (same as seating) more the club/fa allowing selling too many tickets , then the attitude of the police n stewards in their management of this.

Archived