onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Reserves v Bradford 2pm Today

PV1973

Advert

Anton's wonderful scoring record for the reserves perhaps illustrates quite well the gap between the reserves and first team. This should be a factor in planning our squad for next season. We know it needs to be smaller. We also need to be more selective in determining where to send out our young players out on loan. Apart from Nathan Smith, none have come back and challenged for a first team slot

I don’t take notice of the games at all. How many times have we heard over the last few months, this is your time stake a claim in the first team.... and none of them can do it when it matters.

The reserve game is against kids and a vest slow paced game.

Not bothered if he scored 7. Not good enough to do it in the first team along with all the other fringe players.

Anton's wonderful scoring record for the reserves perhaps illustrates quite well the gap between the reserves and first team. This should be a factor in planning our squad for next season. We know it needs to be smaller. We also need to be more selective in determining where to send out our young players out on loan. Apart from Nathan Smith, none have come back and challenged for a first team slot

Most of our young players seem to follow the same pattern, go out on loan locally to the Kidsgroves, Leeks and Newcastles of this world in their first season as a pro. Then the next season go out on loan to a higher level, preferably as close to the conference as possible.

I suppose Turner was an exception last season after he was at Kidsgrove, but we were struggling for forwards then. This season after being in favour with Brown, hes fallen out of favour with Aspin and even a loan spell away hasn't seemed to have helped him much. He arguably needs another loan away.

Yet on the other hand Gibbons didn't go anywhere other than Leek and hes slotted in to league football comfortably. I suppose as well as the choice of clubs to go on loan to it also comes down to the individual players ability too and how quickly they develop as well. Gibbons is a year ahead of Smith in that regard as he was at Torquay at this stage of his career.

Billy Reeves broke in to the side last season too, I thought he did reasonably well, but hes struggled this year to break back in, despite going out on loan to Wrexham I think. He had a couple of opportunites under Aspin too early on.

We've needed a left back this season and it seems as though the club feel Kelly still needs some time away on loan to develop, otherwise he'd have been in contention.

It'll be interested to see how Angus comes back after his loan away too and if that improves him.

I also think that initial few weeks of Aspins reign was a big chance for many players, but they had to come in and do it straight away. I remember an interview with Brabin early in the season and he said they need players to take their chance as they couldn't afford to wait a few games to bed in because of the situation we are in.

For me the loan system is a better way of developing players over them just playing reserve games. Theres more at stake and you're playing against men too.

I suppose it works the other way too, look at players who've come to us from a higher level this season and stuggled. Stobbs, that keeper from Forest, Jules, the striker from Huddersfield.

PV1973 - good post and agree with you.

Are these young lads from Huddersfield, West Brom, wolves, Sheffield Wednesday that much better than lads from our academy?

Its funny when the club announce all these signings and you see the fans getting excited on social media about these players. Yet you see them play in the flesh and you soon realise they aren't that much (if at all) better than the lads who've come through our own academy, who kind of fly under the radar a bit. It almost seems as though a player from our own academy breaking through isn't met with the same level of fanfare or excitement that someone coming on loan from the u23 level of a higher placed club does.

When we look back on this season I think the most consistent young players have been our own. Whitfield has shown what he can do in spells but not often enough, maybe Harness at times, arguably Anderson did, Howkins looks a decent player to be fair. But other than that I'm not sure many of the others have.

Archived