onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Crawley Town.

Fosse69

Two dilemma's

Gibbons or Radlam

Tonge or Hannant (Harkness)

Radlam maybe shades it defensively but we should be going out for the win, therefore it is a no brainer when it comes to an attacking full back.

Tonge or Hannant is a big question. Ok Tonge has lost any pace that he had but you don't lose experience. I think Hannant's future is a roaming centre mid, since he is so comfortable with either foot. For now I also think he is a better attacking option wide left rather than Harkness. He gives more balance when Monty is off on one of his surges.

For me same eleven that started Saturday but can we switch on from the start.

Advert

Who's Radlam?

Personally I'd stick with Gibbons at right back even though his form is nowhere near what it was earlier in the season. He's better defensively than Raglan in that position and no worse than Raglan or Davis in terms of distribution, plus if he does find a return to form he's an asset going forwards.

Two dilemma's

Gibbons or Radlam

Tonge or Hannant (Harkness)

Radlam maybe shades it defensively but we should be going out for the win, therefore it is a no brainer when it comes to an attacking full back.

Tonge or Hannant is a big question. Ok Tonge has lost any pace that he had but you don't lose experience. I think Hannant's future is a roaming centre mid, since he is so comfortable with either foot. For now I also think he is a better attacking option wide left rather than Harkness. He gives more balance when Monty is off on one of his surges.

For me same eleven that started Saturday but can we switch on from the start.

And in addition to SotT's post above, Kay and Hannant/Whitfield in the centre. Tonge's too static, takes awful set pieces and slows play down. Bring him on with 2 minutes to go to sit in front of the back 4 if it's close.

Just want to get that win and get this over and done with. I’m 33 next week and yet feel like I’ve been through the ringer experiencing this past few weeks with all the big games and fear of losing our FL status. Literally can’t sleep with the anxiety of it. Come on Vale!

... Maybe he came off and had a rant at Aspin for not playing him more and Aspin has sent him packing under the guise of "personal reasons".

Yeah - and maybe he didn't so why speculate on a real negative having happened?

For me, nothing's safe until mathematically so, so we have to keep up the concentration and play with the confidence that a couple of good results and 4 useful Easter points should have given us. When / if we're safe I'd like to see some of the youngsters thrown in, to see if they're worth persevering with? - pretty sure Calverley seemed to have a decent pre-season?

A win at home on Saturday and we're safe I reckon. I would personally go with:

4-3-2-1: Hornby; Gibbons, Smith, Howkins, Montano; Worrall, Kay, Hannant; Whitfield, Turner; Pope

The typical 'Christmas tree' formation. I've thought for a while that it would suit the players we have. Whitfield and Turner to support Pope but drop back when required. Worrall and Hannant tuck in but help the wing backs. Kay protects the back 4, and drops in when one of the full backs pushes on.

Hopefully once we're safe we'll see more of players like Turner, Howe etc. to bed them in for next year, and leave out players who aren't in future plans (Barnett, Tonge?)

A win at home on Saturday and we're safe I reckon. I would personally go with:

4-3-2-1: Hornby; Gibbons, Smith, Howkins, Montano; Worrall, Kay, Hannant; Whitfield, Turner; Pope

The typical 'Christmas tree' formation. I've thought for a while that it would suit the players we have. Whitfield and Turner to support Pope but drop back when required. Worrall and Hannant tuck in but help the wing backs. Kay protects the back 4, and drops in when one of the full backs pushes on.

Hopefully once we're safe we'll see more of players like Turner, Howe etc. to bed them in for next year, and leave out players who aren't in future plans (Barnett, Tonge?)

I like it.

All season being able to support Pope has been our achilles heel and its not too late to find a solution for it.

If it wasn't for our full backs and wingers trying to get crosses in and supporting each other we would have no other attacking threat, because the long balls up to Pope with no one near him are rarely working. So we need to see players supporting Tom through the middle and getting aroung him, we lack any kind of creativity through the channels so it has had to be a case of either full backs overlapping or wingers getting crosses in.

If we are safe soon then I wonder if Aspin will look at some of the other younger players? Out of all of them theres only been one whos come in and held his own but there are decisions to be made at the end of the season on quite a few of them, like Turner, Middleton, Reeves, Kelly, Regis, the first year pros, even the keepers, but I wonder if hes already made his mind up on them whether they are out of contract or not.

Who's Radlam?

Personally I'd stick with Gibbons at right back even though his form is nowhere near what it was earlier in the season. He's better defensively than Raglan in that position and no worse than Raglan or Davis in terms of distribution, plus if he does find a return to form he's an asset going forwards.

I'd stick with him too, I think hes better all round than Davis and Raglan and is a natural right back. The only benefit of Davis and Raglan is their physical side and indeed the decision to play Raglan at right back at Wycombe in particular was the right one. But overall I feel a centre half at full back is too negative. We had the same with the left hand side when Gunning was here. I think Gibbons has still shown plenty of instances of what he can do going forward this year. Hes changed a few games with his energy getting forward. But with no assissts this year it makes the 2017 form look even better. But for me I think he played worse in some of those early games, Swindon at home and Lincoln away immediately spring to mind. It looks like hes still trying to do the same stuff as before, some of its worked, some of it hasn't. Like a lot of our young players he has aspects he needs to improve on, who doesn't at that age? I've watched the reserves and youth play at home many times when he featured in the past and even then distribution and final delivery were areas to improve. But the reality is that hes been a bright spot in an awful season and to see fans jump on his back is a. disappointing and b. not surprising given the unrealistic expecations of some people, these youngsters are nowehere near a finished article yet and are learning the game as they go too. A 19 year old with no previous league experience comes in to a struggling side and plays what must be over 30 games now and doesn't look out of place is a huge achievement not to be underestimated. The same in many ways can be said of Smith too this season, another quality player, who also has plenty to learn yet holds his own and has had the fans on here and social media on his back wanting him out of the team. I find it bizarre and wonder what some people are watching sometimes.

Didn’t Harness replace Tonge and left the Crewe players to overrun us in midfield for their goal.
Well the fact there centre half played the final ball for Kirk score shows that whoever was not marking him was maybe at fault or in my opinion it was a catalogue of disastrous decisions from probably five of our players .

Gibbons should have blocked it didnt make any attempt to block the shot Smith ended up in no mans land (he does that quite often )Kays attempt at winning the header was as amateur as can be and the goalie should have saved it .

Worrall and Harness and Hannant and Barnett Howskins were no where be seen with injury time nearly up .

2-2 anyone on police advice if so then it wouldnt surprise me but why do Vale have to not get a goal at home v Crewe then if that was the case .

As for Sat there winger is there best player aint he forget his name but gave Wilson the run around and i think he scored in our win there .

Dont forget to get your tickets for 20 quid you get to be able to get behind the Vale for 2 games v Crawley ,and Lincoln who are bringing a fair few .

Dont forget get your tickets before sat then 20 quid for two 10 quid for two for up to ? 18 year olds i think .

As for the game u could play 11 reserves for me itsall about attitude and application .

Pope and Kay only just back from injury yet they had the character play most of last two matches .

Lets hope we have no missing players on the pitch like v Crewe where we only played for 25 mins the other 75 couldnt string 2 passes together .

Nerves ,tiredness i dont know but must not be repeated.

UTV

Well Done Vale!

I didn't have this game on my horizon.

I was disappointed that there wasn't a ticket offer for the Chesterfield game.

One that I went to anyway.

Marketing this and the Lincoln game is very sensible in my view.

I have been attracted by the reduced price and the steadier performances on the pitch.

So, as I said, well done Vale for digging me out of my hole.

...Anyone know if Lainton is fit? Not that I think he should play' date=' as I think he is awful, but if he isn't who will be the sub keeper? Or will we not bother with one?[/quote']

If not Lainton then Boot will be on the bench, I don't think he was really injured at Crewe it was just his head had gone.

If not Lainton then Boot will be on the bench, I don't think he was really injured at Crewe it was just his head had gone.

Boot out injured for two weeks. Mr Aspin will not be happy with your comments.

Boot had a tough opening 23 minutes at Gresty Road but the manager firmly denied any rumour that he could have played on.

Aspin said: “He went for a scan and it showed he hadn’t broken his foot but he had damaged ligament so he will probably be unavailable for a couple of weeks.

“You would have to be very careful to accuse someone of throwing an injury. It’s one thing to say someone has had a bad game but it’s another to question someone’s integrity. I certainly wouldn’t want to go down that route for any player. That would be overstepping the mark.”

...Anyone know if Lainton is fit? Not that I think he should play' date=' as I think he is awful, but if he isn't who will be the sub keeper? Or will we not bother with one?[/quote']

Cleaning lady or even Pope could play in the goal.

Give one of the many young goalies we have at the club a chance with the first team if Boot and Lainton are injured and unable to be on the bench. It will give them some experience of being with the first team and show them what they could achieve with a bit of work.

Archived