onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Chesterfield

Fosse69

I thought the 3-15 KO was due to miners’ shifts.It was your Uncle was it?My Dad used to take his transitor to the match to listen to the rest of the racing.We knew he’d won when he gave my brother and I a ten bob note each.

Vale were always one of the only clubs to KO at 3.15 on Saturdays no idea why, except Dad said it was Fred's fault! As a kid I could never understand it but miner's shifts would add up I suppose. Plenty of time to get over from Sneyd pit then! It was always a late result on the footie scores.

Advert

I thought the 3-15 KO was due to miners’ shifts.It was your Uncle was it?My Dad used to take his transitor to the match to listen to the rest of the racing.We knew he’d won when he gave my brother and I a ten bob note each.

I wonder if anyone knows the real answer to why we used kick off at 3.15pm , I heard a new one last week on that radio Stoke 50 years old programme, nick Hancock said it was so Michelin workers could get to the Victoria ground, after they finished work at 3 pm

I wonder if anyone knows the real answer to why we used kick off at 3.15pm , I heard a new one last week on that radio Stoke 50 years old programme, nick Hancock said it was so Michelin workers could get to the Victoria ground, after they finished work at 3 pm

I wouldn’t argue with that Bertie.

My uncle used to take me to the Vale in the 60's when we had 3.15pm kick-offs.He rode the motor-bike and I sat in the open side car freezing my ******** off.It was in the days before crash helmets were compulsory and I used to wear a black and amber balaclava to keep my head warm.

The first match I attended was a 7-1 win over Chesterfield

Lets hope it is a good fri last 10 games 5 before the last 5 probably didnt deserve win any of them the last 5 deserved win them all so next 5 lets win them all deserved ,maybe i dont care UTV

Looking forwards to both games the Chesterfield following passed a 1000 so i expect all of Vale come out then if the ones who are due in workas surely they have a shift swap option (our place does its amazing ).

UTV i think they should kick off at 17.00 hrs as that gives folk chance go who work 8-4

My uncle used to take me to the Vale in the 60's when we had 3.15pm kick-offs.He rode the motor-bike and I sat in the open side car freezing my ******** off.It was in the days before crash helmets were compulsory and I used to wear a black and amber balaclava to keep my head warm.

Lucky omen mate?

Did Stoke ko at 3.15 as well? I conner remember that....

Did Stoke ko at 3.15 as well? I conner remember that....
As far as I remember, but the KOs moved to earlier times throughout the leagues in the Winter since there were no floodlights. Midweek games at the beginning and end of the season would be 6.00 KOs.

That was my second match after the mid week win against Shrewsbury, 4-1 I think. Happy days.

I don't quite see that. How does that relate to Vale kick offs? To get out of the Mich and up to Burslem and into the ground would have taken longer than 15 minutes. There was no D road in those days!

I don't quite see that. How does that relate to Vale kick offs? To get out of the Mich and up to Burslem and into the ground would have taken longer than 15 minutes. There was no D road in those days!

Like I said does anyone know the real reason we kicked off at 3.15 instead of 3 pm , I’ve heard so many different answers over the years

Like I said does anyone know the real reason we kicked off at 3.15 instead of 3 pm , I’ve heard so many different answers over the years
Maybe to do with pub closing times, areas that closed at 2.30 would have 3.00 KOs, whereas areas with 3.00 had 3.15 KOs.

Archived