onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Australian cricket cheats

robf

Well Nathan Lyon did say Australian tactics would end people's careers. I guess he meant England players rather than his own captain and vice captain though :laugh:

It's terrible that such fine, upstanding people (insert very sarcastic smilie here) such as David Warner and Steve Smith are being castigated.

I guess that's the rub and they'll have to learn to take the rough with the smooth... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Advert

Well Nathan Lyon did say Australian tactics would end people's careers. I guess he meant England players rather than his own captain and vice captain though :laugh:

It's terrible that such fine, upstanding people (insert very sarcastic smilie here) such as David Warner and Steve Smith are being castigated.

I guess that's the rub and they'll have to learn to take the rough with the smooth... :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Unlike those fine upstanding examples of fair play such as Mike Atherton, Stuart Broad, ad infinitum. Pot and kettle seems to come to mind

Unlike those fine upstanding examples of fair play such as Mike Atherton, Stuart Broad, ad infinitum. Pot and kettle seems to come to mind

Sorry bit of a jump to conclusions by you...

1. I don't compare England players with Australians in the post. I did point out some cheats though. If this had been Joe Root and David Malan they would have been condemned too. But it wasn't. The current England team have not admitted on TV to deliberate cheating.

2. You are not comparing like with like with Broad. Broad didn't walk. There's a MASSIVE difference between waiting for the official to give you out on the spur of the moment and planning in advance among the senior players to deliberately alter the state of the ball.

RR Broad didn't walk and why should he have? Atherton just dried his hands (with dust) his happenened to be in his pocket. But to pre meditate and put it on tape, is a step up. All players know how to scuff a ball or polish one side. This ranks of a planned hierarchy scheme, not good at all. The series has been very good, but Smith and Warner, involving Bancroft in this nonsense, not good and they should be banned. Warner for been a total idiot fullstop

Atherton offered his resignation after the dirt in the pocket affair. Illingworth wouldn't accept it. Smith seemed to think his resignation wasn't required and he would learn from his mistake - as a friend of mine pointed out, he should have learned when he was in the Under 11s.

Broad did not breach the Laws. He waited for the umpire to give him out - which is what every Australian does. Larwood claimed to his dying day the Bradman was out first ball caught behind but didn't walk at Headingly in 1930 when he went on to score a world record 334. Bradman was noted for it.

Sorry bit of a jump to conclusions by you...

1. I don't compare England players with Australians in the post. I did point out some cheats though. If this had been Joe Root and David Malan they would have been condemned too. But it wasn't. The current England team have not admitted on TV to deliberate cheating.

2. You are not comparing like with like with Broad. Broad didn't walk. There's a MASSIVE difference between waiting for the official to give you out on the spur of the moment and planning in advance among the senior players to deliberately alter the state of the ball.

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Atherton, the England captain of the time, get caught on camera roughing up the ball with something akin to grit in his trouser pocket ? But if I’m wrong, feel free to correct me.

Atherton offered his resignation after the dirt in the pocket affair. Illingworth wouldn't accept it. Smith seemed to think his resignation wasn't required and he would learn from his mistake - as a friend of mine pointed out, he should have learned when he was in the Under 11s.

Broad did not breach the Laws. He waited for the umpire to give him out - which is what every Australian does. Larwood claimed to his dying day the Bradman was out first ball caught behind but didn't walk at Headingly in 1930 when he went on to score a world record 334. Bradman was noted for it.

As you might say “pedant warning” but Gilchrist was noted for walking, so to say “every Australian” is incorrect. But I accept that he would be one of the few exceptions. And for the record, the much vaunted WG Grace REFUSED to walk on occasions even when given out !

Not sure of the laws of the game but i would suggest that even rubbing the side of the ball on one's trousers could be construed as "Tampering with the ball".

However I am amazed that someone such as Smith would ever be so stupid. Just noticed that he has been banned for.......1 whole match!. Utterly disgraceful.

Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Atherton, the England captain of the time, get caught on camera roughing up the ball with something akin to grit in his trouser pocket ? But if I’m wrong, feel free to correct me.

See my post above - unlike Smith, he immediately offered his resignation.

As you might say “pedant warning” but Gilchrist was noted for walking, so to say “every Australian” is incorrect. But I accept that he would be one of the few exceptions. And for the record, the much vaunted WG Grace REFUSED to walk on occasions even when given out !

You're right about Gilchrist - and he was castigated by his team mates on more than one occasion for doing so. WG Grace used to tell the umpire that the large crowd in attendance had come to watch him bat, not watch a bloke in a white coat raise his finger in the air!

Whilst on the subject of cricket and fair play, how is the infamous bodyline series of the 30’s seen in this context ? As expected, “fast leg theory” was seen as cheating by the Australians, especially their press. But doubters about the tactic existed even in the Tourist’s ranks, so much so that Gubby Allen even refused to bowl it ! Surely this went beyond the boundaries of fair play, or is it just a case of a means to an end. But it’s “not cricket” surely ?

Whilst on the subject of cricket and fair play, how is the infamous bodyline series of the 30’s seen in this context ? As expected, “fast leg theory” was seen as cheating by the Australians, especially their press. But doubters about the tactic existed even in the Tourist’s ranks, so much so that Gubby Allen even refused to bowl it ! Surely this went beyond the boundaries of fair play, or is it just a case of a means to an end. But it’s not “cricket” surely ?

Bodyline was not in any way against the laws of the game. Leg theory, as it was called prior to the 1932 series had been used by other countries before that. Indeed, the Australian team of 1921 had two fearsome bowlers who used leg-thory in Gregory and McDonald who led their team to 8 consecutive victories against England.

Jardine and his bowlers developed it further into fast leg theory because England were trying to find a way of curbing the scoring of Bradman who had scored nearly 1,000 runs in the previous Ashes series. Jardine had Larwood and Voce in his squad, the former being probably the best pace bowler in the world at the time. He had noticed that Bradman was nervous when faced with fast, short pitched bowling so this was adopted as a tactic.

The problems arose at Adelaide when the Aussie captain, Bill Woodfull was hit by a straight ball from Larwood. He made his famous remark about only one of the teams playing cricket which was leaked to the press. The flashpoint came when Bert Oldfield was hit on the head. The fact is, the film shows this was not a short ball but one which Oldfield tried to pull and top-edged onto his skull. He ended up in hospital and when Larwood visited him, Oldfield said it was entirely his own fault.

Having read a lot about the Bodyline series, I have come to the conclusion that it was the Aussies who invented whingeing, not the Poms!

I watched enough of the last ashes to convince me Smith and Warner are vile creatures who would try anything to gain an advantage over there opponents,There embarrassing news conference laughing about Bairstow did it for me,Smith especially is one weird man.

Archived