onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread : Barnet v Port Vale

Fosse69

In Ryan Boot's Sentinel interview today he said: “A win can change everything, and change things for weeks to come as well as you take confidence into different games. It makes a massive difference, boosts everyone around the team and the club.”

Whilst I agree and hope this happens for the Vale... I think is is imperative that we don't lose tonight. A draw is much better for us than it is for Barnet. Draw tonight and beat Stevenage at home on Saturday and it'll be a good week, even if we believe we should be doing better.

A win for Barnet would not only allow them to play catch up, but would also boost them for their run in massively.

I think a clear out is a given. Unfortunately thats the consequence of having 3 managers in less than 18 months, (with lots of panic buys too), but each manager will want his own squad.

Realistically look at the recent matchday 18 man squads, how many will be part of the matchday squads next season, either starting or on the bench? I'd say

Boot

Smith

Gibbons

Worrall

Pope

Hannant

Montano (but I'm not sure Aspin trusts him as a winger)

All the loans will go back.

I imagine we'll get an experienced keeper in at the expense of someone like Lainton.

Pugh, Tonge and Kay, I don't doubt their commitment, but realistically they are too old.

Will Aspin really want to keep Forrester, Barnett and Turner? (Maybe only Turner out of those 3 as hes got chance to develop). But we certainly need someone else up front, as we won't be able to continually rely on Pope.

Regis, Middleton and Reeves are nowhere near the squad either.

What about the young players like Walford, Calveley, Dennis and Kelly? Will they all get a new contract? History tells us that not all the young pros are kept on. Only 3 of 6 were last year (Gibbons, Reeves and Turner)

Its a huge job to get the squad numbers down and replace with some quality.

I agree that there will be a clearout, however I don't think it'll be as drastic as the last 2 seasons, as we are desperate for t least a little bit of continuity.

For example whilst Kay, Tonge and Pugh are too old I think he'll keep one or maybe two in reserve - Kay being the obvious choice due to his level of performance and the fact that he would need paying off.

I don't see many getting paid off at all so it'd be interesting to see who is on what length of contract. That will determine who else we keep and who we need to bring in.

Not sure on the contract situation regarding the strikers but I think Barnett will go, whilst Forrester effectively has 10 games to prove that he can earn another contract. Angus and [i hope] Turner will be kept for the future. That probably leaves us space to bring in one or two forwards (depending on Forrester).

Defensively I think we'll only see full backs in which is required anyway. I agree that he'll keep Montano not because he particularly rates him but as is my main point because we need consistency.

Advert

Wonder what the future holds for Knell Knopps? Thought he had a decent first season at Full back could be a good backup to a proper Left Back then there's Adam Yates??

All depends if he is the same player after this horrific injury. I was impressed with him last year.

Because of Smurfs parsimony, we now have two players, Tonge and Pugh or Kay doing the same job as Anthony Grant.

So, I'm not sure how much is being saved, but the costs are obvious. We are a player short!

The goalkeeping situation is much the same. On Saturday we drew a game that should have been out of sight because their keeper was outstanding. How often did Alnwick keep us in games against all the odds?

We now have two rookie keepers who will inevitably make errors, and one, crocked, experienced keeper, who is ring rusty.

Proof, if ever it was needed, that bargain basement footballers are both costly and inadequate.

Oh, and left backs?

Well, why bother?

IMO, we have one player, Worrall, of the type that successful teams are built around.

The rest are young and inexperienced, or old and consequently limited.

We need a nucleus of players, with experience, in the 23 to 28 year old bracket.

A few younger and older players can be woven in to such a team.

A team built of old and inexperienced players is not fit for purpose and probably costs just as much as a decent team.

Essentially, it's the same argument that has been made over and over again.

Quality, not quantity.

Of course, this is a match day thread, so apologies for off loading.

A draw would be a good result.

A win would be dreamland.

I fear that Barnet will have too much for us and a defeat is most likely.

I sincerely hope I am wrong, I'm hating this run of results and the uncertainty it's creating.

We paid the price for not being three or four goals ahead not for conceding a well taken equaliser, frustrating as that may be and one we could arguably have defended better. It wasn't the worst goal we've conceded this season by a long way.

3 Vale defenders marking their one man who gets the header that drops to the feet of teir unmarked forward and he pops it into the net--and you think that's not bad defending?Give me strength!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Archived