onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Penalty Taker

Daddy Vale

Advert

The mis-management at this club deserves a relegation.

Sadly Lady Vale you may be right.

Another bitterly disappointing end to the game yet again. Many chances squandered.

Just imagine if Marc Richards had played up top?

Says it all. I really do hope we can scrape over the line but I'm not confident at all.

It hurts. There will be loads of mither at Crewe imo, fans have had enough and will vent their anger.

There needs root and branch change asap

It is as much about mental toughness as physical ability. Remember Michael O'Connor taking and scoring two penalties at Vale Park? Scored the first but before the second was taken the other team were messing about for several minutes. O'Connor just stood there quietly waiting, whistle blew and bang he just stepped up and scored.

Think the original poster was psychic. Uncanny really.

It's hard to say Tonge at fault as if keeper goes the other way it is seen as a perfect penalty. I prefer the old Stuart Pearce type blaster, and even he famously missed one.

Messi and Ronaldo have missed umpteen but as per usual Vale never cease to let us down.

It is as much about mental toughness as physical ability. Remember Michael O'Connor taking and scoring two penalties at Vale Park? Scored the first but before the second was taken the other team were messing about for several minutes. O'Connor just stood there quietly waiting, whistle blew and bang he just stepped up and scored.

"Spot" on about mental toughness. Any - and I mean any - professional footballer should be able to take consistently good dead balls of any type, penalties included, but so, so often they don't. They practice every day, they should be able to put a penalty in any of the four corners of the goal with ease 99% of the time and probably do in training. In a match situation lots of them just go to pieces and either miss by a mile or virtually make a pass back to the keeper, it's all about mental strength and there's a lot of players who can't just focus on striking the ball like they must be able to 99% of the time in training and focus on the 1% chance of mis-hitting it, thus virtually guaranteeing they will mis-hit it.

West Ham's Ray Stewart was a famously good penalty taker who hardly ever missed and all he did was put them (usually) in the top corner knowing that if he did that there wasn't a keeper on the planet who could physically get to it, no need to rely on the keeper 'going the wrong way'.

It also depends very much on technique. Tonge converted a good penalty at Crawley and I anticipated he was going to hit yesterday's with power down the middle but he chose placement and the goalkeeper chose the right way. I was surprised some Vale players weren't on the edge of the box waiting/competing for a rebound, there were 3 Grimsby players yards ahead os a Vale player.

There No6 was well inside the box before Tonge struck the ball so by rights it should have been retaken.

It also depends very much on technique. Tonge converted a good penalty at Crawley and I anticipated he was going to hit yesterday's with power down the middle but he chose placement and the goalkeeper chose the right way. I was surprised some Vale players weren't on the edge of the box waiting/competing for a rebound, there were 3 Grimsby players yards ahead os a Vale player.

There No6 was well inside the box before Tonge struck the ball so by rights it should have been retaken.

Penalty at Crawley?

It was a free kick with 15 ricochets.

Guest Vale at home
He hit it on target and if the goalie had dived the other way it would have been a good penalty. Didn't strike it hard, always prefer a hard shot on target.

I agree with the man in the pub . Tonge is Not a Good penalty Taker . What was Tonge Thinking . The 3 points . Game won .

Archived