Sign in to follow this  
alwaysvaleme

Missing posts

If this forum carry’s on the way it is with missing posts etc then it’ll be going same way as Vale at the minute....down the pan!

I’ve had them many posts go missing today I’ve lost count, shocking!

It isn't showing on the app.
Very true, have raised with Rob (The banner explains that 12 hours of posts were lost in the server changeover, unable to save) Edited by Fosse69

Before I reply, can I put things in context...

I've worked for three days to make the server switch smooth. That has involved (and I have just counted them) 32 messages to customer support, two telephone calls and about 7 hours of my time this week. But as the site is "going downhill" can I also point out - I have run this site (often daily) for 21 years - in that time I have lost the odd day's worth of posts (we have had one crash and a couple of server moves) but otherwise I have strived to keep this site up often during times of massively high traffic and chaos at the club (and thanks to the help of the brill admin team).

So onto the subject at hand...

Yes, around 24 hours worth of posts have gone. That was why I...

* Put up a front page blog post about it (appears on the app too)

* Put up several forum posts

* Plus this weekend's message

What more notice (other than coming round to everyone's house) could I seriously give?

A server migration is exactly that - it depends how long it takes the web to index it and there is no simple switchover so it is gradual. The best I could do is give copious warnings which said posts would be lost. I was completely honest - I warned that some content would be lost.

If you are still unhappy then (I have said this before) feel free to set up and run your own Vale forum and then take years of abuse about how bad it is. You may end up as cynical about the whole thing as I sometimes feel.

Seriously, I try and move to a better and more reliable server and sometimes I really wonder why I bother. I could have spend those hours this week doing something else...

p.s. Thanks to those of you who have been understanding.

It isn't showing on the app.

There is no easy way to put a message on the app. I will try but can't guarantee I can put anything up. However, this post (and the previous warning posts) are available but obviously not as clear as the message on desktop/mobile.

Before I reply, can I put things in context...

I've worked for three days to make the server switch smooth. That has involved (and I have just counted them) 32 messages to customer support, two telephone calls and about 7 hours of my time this week. But as the site is "going downhill" can I also point out - I have run this site (often daily) for 21 years - in that time I have lost the odd day's worth of posts (we have had one crash and a couple of server moves) but otherwise I have strived to keep this site up often during times of massively high traffic and chaos at the club (and thanks to the help of the brill admin team).

So onto the subject at hand...

Yes, around 24 hours worth of posts have gone. That was why I...

* Put up a front page blog post about it (appears on the app too)

* Put up several forum posts

* Plus this weekend's message

What more notice (other than coming round to everyone's house) could I seriously give?

A server migration is exactly that - it depends how long it takes the web to index it and there is no simple switchover so it is gradual. The best I could do is give copious warnings which said posts would be lost. I was completely honest - I warned that some content would be lost.

If you are still unhappy then (I have said this before) feel free to set up and run your own Vale forum and then take years of abuse about how bad it is. You may end up as cynical about the whole thing as I sometimes feel.

Seriously, I try and move to a better and more reliable server and sometimes I really wonder why I bother. I could have spend those hours this week doing something else...

p.s. Thanks to those of you who have been understanding.

Keep up the good work Rob,MOST of us appreciate it.

Well explained Robf and I fully understand and appreciate all the great work you put in for our sake

My thread was a bit tongue in cheek tbf not meant to be a cheap jibe so apologies mate

All the best and thanks for the ovf site

Well explained Robf and I fully understand and appreciate all the great work you put in for our sake

My thread was a bit tongue in cheek tbf not meant to be a cheap jibe so apologies mate

All the best and thanks for the ovf site

Thank you. My capacity to determine what is "tongue in cheek" and what is not simply by reading text on a screen is still no better... it must be due to twenty odd years of people continually telling me OVF is "going downhill" is "rubbish" and so on.

It's also probably down to a lot of work in recent evenings to get the site onto a new server and get rid of the reliability problems we were getting on the other server. When you've done all that and you see people moaning it does rile you...

It would be nice if people were a bit more positive about the site. Even though it is my "baby" I personally would rather be on a structured, moderated forum than the "wild west" of Facebook groups where (often) anything goes. Considering OVF is free to use and is staffed by unpaid volunteers I would think a little more appreciation of the team wouldn't go amiss.

And if you don't like OVF, why come on here to tell us, just go and use Facebook or something and leave. It's the people who come on OVF to tell me that it's no good that I can't understand. I don't like soaps on TV so I don't watch them - I don't write to the producers of Coronation St telling them the programme's rubbish!

Or maybe all these years looking after OVF has left me with a sense of humour bypass some days :wink:

Thank you. My capacity to determine what is "tongue in cheek" and what is not simply by reading text on a screen is still no better... it must be due to twenty odd years of people continually telling me OVF is "going downhill" is "rubbish" and so on.

It's also probably down to a lot of work in recent evenings to get the site onto a new server and get rid of the reliability problems we were getting on the other server. When you've done all that and you see people moaning it does rile you...

It would be nice if people were a bit more positive about the site. Even though it is my "baby" I personally would rather be on a structured, moderated forum than the "wild west" of Facebook groups where (often) anything goes. Considering OVF is free to use and is staffed by unpaid volunteers I would think a little more appreciation of the team wouldn't go amiss.

And if you don't like OVF, why come on here to tell us, just go and use Facebook or something and leave. It's the people who come on OVF to tell me that it's no good that I can't understand. I don't like soaps on TV so I don't watch them - I don't write to the producers of Coronation St telling them the programme's rubbish!

Or maybe all these years looking after OVF has left me with a sense of humour bypass some days :wink:

Put your feet up Rob and have a well earned glass or two in the knowledge that so many of us honestly appreciate all the work you do . Without OVF many of us may not have the avenues open to us to "communicate" with fellow Valiants about all subjects. I, for one think you do a top class job mate.

I think it's interesting that fans now expect such a high quality of service from this website and get a bit scratchy when things are not exactly as they expect. It takes a huge amount of effort to keep something like this going, and we sort of take it for granted now, because it has been so good for so long. We shouldn't. It's a cracking website, with so much info on it, and Rob deserves loads of praise for making it so. I hope you haven't taken this personally Rob, though it must be frustrating to hear some of the comments yo get from time to time when people forget themselves. Keep up the good work, I can't imagine how I would stay in touch with the goings on at the club without onevalefan.

Got no complaints Rob it is very mich appreciated. I have been coming on this forum since around 2001 and it is a great website. One of the besy forums around.