onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Missing posts

alwaysvaleme

Well explained Robf and I fully understand and appreciate all the great work you put in for our sake

My thread was a bit tongue in cheek tbf not meant to be a cheap jibe so apologies mate

All the best and thanks for the ovf site

Thank you. My capacity to determine what is "tongue in cheek" and what is not simply by reading text on a screen is still no better... it must be due to twenty odd years of people continually telling me OVF is "going downhill" is "rubbish" and so on.

It's also probably down to a lot of work in recent evenings to get the site onto a new server and get rid of the reliability problems we were getting on the other server. When you've done all that and you see people moaning it does rile you...

It would be nice if people were a bit more positive about the site. Even though it is my "baby" I personally would rather be on a structured, moderated forum than the "wild west" of Facebook groups where (often) anything goes. Considering OVF is free to use and is staffed by unpaid volunteers I would think a little more appreciation of the team wouldn't go amiss.

And if you don't like OVF, why come on here to tell us, just go and use Facebook or something and leave. It's the people who come on OVF to tell me that it's no good that I can't understand. I don't like soaps on TV so I don't watch them - I don't write to the producers of Coronation St telling them the programme's rubbish!

Or maybe all these years looking after OVF has left me with a sense of humour bypass some days :wink:

Advert

Thank you. My capacity to determine what is "tongue in cheek" and what is not simply by reading text on a screen is still no better... it must be due to twenty odd years of people continually telling me OVF is "going downhill" is "rubbish" and so on.

It's also probably down to a lot of work in recent evenings to get the site onto a new server and get rid of the reliability problems we were getting on the other server. When you've done all that and you see people moaning it does rile you...

It would be nice if people were a bit more positive about the site. Even though it is my "baby" I personally would rather be on a structured, moderated forum than the "wild west" of Facebook groups where (often) anything goes. Considering OVF is free to use and is staffed by unpaid volunteers I would think a little more appreciation of the team wouldn't go amiss.

And if you don't like OVF, why come on here to tell us, just go and use Facebook or something and leave. It's the people who come on OVF to tell me that it's no good that I can't understand. I don't like soaps on TV so I don't watch them - I don't write to the producers of Coronation St telling them the programme's rubbish!

Or maybe all these years looking after OVF has left me with a sense of humour bypass some days :wink:

Put your feet up Rob and have a well earned glass or two in the knowledge that so many of us honestly appreciate all the work you do . Without OVF many of us may not have the avenues open to us to "communicate" with fellow Valiants about all subjects. I, for one think you do a top class job mate.

I think it's interesting that fans now expect such a high quality of service from this website and get a bit scratchy when things are not exactly as they expect. It takes a huge amount of effort to keep something like this going, and we sort of take it for granted now, because it has been so good for so long. We shouldn't. It's a cracking website, with so much info on it, and Rob deserves loads of praise for making it so. I hope you haven't taken this personally Rob, though it must be frustrating to hear some of the comments yo get from time to time when people forget themselves. Keep up the good work, I can't imagine how I would stay in touch with the goings on at the club without onevalefan.

Got no complaints Rob it is very mich appreciated. I have been coming on this forum since around 2001 and it is a great website. One of the besy forums around.

Back to more boring stuff (rant over).

Another reason for the change is there is a new data protection law coming in. I only hold information such as - your username, IP address, email address, any profile info (e.g. you may have put your location or age in), your posts and PM (the latter being private).

It's very limited (no address, no billing info) but under the new laws I still have a duty to keep the data secure and to act on users' wishes.

Under the new laws I am obliged to let people know that a) where the data is being stored and b) remove someone's details completely if they wish.

As well as the new server being more reliable, it's location in the UK will help with this. I think it's fair to say that in 21 years I have only had three communications with lawyers (one being with a former director long gone) so it's a rare event but this new server move (and the loss of the posts) also plays a minor role in complying with new data protection and keeping the very limited data I have on you safe and secure. It means if I ever do have to comply with data protection I can call (which I couldn't do as easy with the server based in California that I used to use).

Sorry if that was as boring as the recent game against Newport but it does explain another reason for the move...

If this forum carry’s on the way it is with missing posts etc then it’ll be going same way as Vale at the minute....down the pan!

I’ve had them many posts go missing today I’ve lost count, shocking!

Rob’s made you look a right cock

It was very weird over the weekend, I could see things on the front page but then I'd click through into a totally different thread, and newer posts weren't showing at all when I navigated round the forums. However I've logged in at work this morning and everything looks OK. So either something has been fixed overnight or it is/was an issue with my browser at home.

It was very weird over the weekend, I could see things on the front page but then I'd click through into a totally different thread, and newer posts weren't showing at all when I navigated round the forums. However I've logged in at work this morning and everything looks OK. So either something has been fixed overnight or it is/was an issue with my browser at home.
One for Rob, but out of interest had you not logged out during the changeover period so were picking up old info ?

Probably part of the migration and caching issues. It does take 24-72 hours for it to take total effect. :smile:

I have to say Rob, OVF is by far the best football forum I've been onto. I regularly browse the tow local clubs' and also often other teams in our league. NOTHING compares

Archived