onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Missing posts

alwaysvaleme

Advert

Before I reply, can I put things in context...

I've worked for three days to make the server switch smooth. That has involved (and I have just counted them) 32 messages to customer support, two telephone calls and about 7 hours of my time this week. But as the site is "going downhill" can I also point out - I have run this site (often daily) for 21 years - in that time I have lost the odd day's worth of posts (we have had one crash and a couple of server moves) but otherwise I have strived to keep this site up often during times of massively high traffic and chaos at the club (and thanks to the help of the brill admin team).

So onto the subject at hand...

Yes, around 24 hours worth of posts have gone. That was why I...

* Put up a front page blog post about it (appears on the app too)

* Put up several forum posts

* Plus this weekend's message

What more notice (other than coming round to everyone's house) could I seriously give?

A server migration is exactly that - it depends how long it takes the web to index it and there is no simple switchover so it is gradual. The best I could do is give copious warnings which said posts would be lost. I was completely honest - I warned that some content would be lost.

If you are still unhappy then (I have said this before) feel free to set up and run your own Vale forum and then take years of abuse about how bad it is. You may end up as cynical about the whole thing as I sometimes feel.

Seriously, I try and move to a better and more reliable server and sometimes I really wonder why I bother. I could have spend those hours this week doing something else...

p.s. Thanks to those of you who have been understanding.

It isn't showing on the app.

There is no easy way to put a message on the app. I will try but can't guarantee I can put anything up. However, this post (and the previous warning posts) are available but obviously not as clear as the message on desktop/mobile.

Before I reply, can I put things in context...

I've worked for three days to make the server switch smooth. That has involved (and I have just counted them) 32 messages to customer support, two telephone calls and about 7 hours of my time this week. But as the site is "going downhill" can I also point out - I have run this site (often daily) for 21 years - in that time I have lost the odd day's worth of posts (we have had one crash and a couple of server moves) but otherwise I have strived to keep this site up often during times of massively high traffic and chaos at the club (and thanks to the help of the brill admin team).

So onto the subject at hand...

Yes, around 24 hours worth of posts have gone. That was why I...

* Put up a front page blog post about it (appears on the app too)

* Put up several forum posts

* Plus this weekend's message

What more notice (other than coming round to everyone's house) could I seriously give?

A server migration is exactly that - it depends how long it takes the web to index it and there is no simple switchover so it is gradual. The best I could do is give copious warnings which said posts would be lost. I was completely honest - I warned that some content would be lost.

If you are still unhappy then (I have said this before) feel free to set up and run your own Vale forum and then take years of abuse about how bad it is. You may end up as cynical about the whole thing as I sometimes feel.

Seriously, I try and move to a better and more reliable server and sometimes I really wonder why I bother. I could have spend those hours this week doing something else...

p.s. Thanks to those of you who have been understanding.

Keep up the good work Rob,MOST of us appreciate it.

Archived