onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

58 days....

TylerB

Sounds simple enough! Lucky all the out of contract players are match fit and willing to play for peanuts

Know what you’re saying Rz but there has to be players who can do a job, someone in a championship squad who’s not getting a game in the first team and will be released in June who would be willing to cancel his contract and sign for vale.

The biggest issue is the man with the money but over the last 12 months he’s inherited 2 million odd quid via the vale. We need 5 wins, still 12 games left, still time to become match fit and do the business for vale. If we go down we go down fighting.

Advert

In my opinion you cant blame Aspin.

I wasn't too struck on Aspin getting the job in the first place as I would rather have had an experienced manager (in the mold of a Micky Adams)but that is my opinion and I've since have had no choice but to get behind him.

Yes Aspin picks the team, but its from a squad which was extremely poor to start with when he took over.

What you have to ask yourself is this. We had a squad which was a top 12 League One team when Page left and as we know that squad was completely destroyed by Norman due to his enforced budget cut when we were getting close on 6,000 gates.

Norman then appoint's an inexperienced manager in Ribiero on the basis that he was Jose Mourhino's mate. Ribiero then brings in a squad full of European lower league chancers, it goes horribly wrong and then Norman decides that the best course of action was to appoint another inexperienced manager in Brown and not support him in the January 17 transfer window.

Yet again there is another budget cut due to being relegated and the squad needs to be rebuilt again. Norman also enforced a wage cap which promoted quantity over quality as the better players wanted more than the wage cap would allow. This lack of quality caused the bad start this season which saw Brown sacked.

Aspin then comes in with the promise from Norman that he would be backed in the January 18 transfer window which also never happened. Gunning went as due to the wage cap we couldn't compete with Forest Green (Garlick confirmed this in a recent supporters meeting), Aspin tried to sign over 30 other players who also decided to go elsewhere (I assume due to the wage cap) and we were left with bringing in Non-League players to cover the players we lost.

I reckon that Mourhino, Conte or Klopp couldnt have done any better with this squad than Aspin is doing.

The blame lies firmly with one person - Norman Smurthwaite who had he decided to invest slightly in a team who were in the top 12 of the division above could have been looking get into the playoffs, or if he'd employed an experienced manager instead of the cheap option we may be in a different position, however, due to his destructive nature we now find ourselves a division below and fighting to stay in the league. All this has caused the the gates to decrease by roughly 2,000 (from 2 years ago) and has left the rest of the supporters who do still attend home games extremely disillusioned.

Aspin tried to sign over 30 other players who also decided to go elsewhere (I assume due to the wage cap)

Could very easily have been many reasons not necessarily down to the budget for the January window. People automatically seem to be stating that Norman was scrimping in the winter window but I don't think this has to be the case. I've said it before but I believe Norman's actions re Page could have disuaded players from joining us far more than wages offered last month.

I reckon that Mourhino, Conte or Klopp couldnt have done any better with this squad than Aspin is doing.

I'm sure they wouldn't play Tonge and Pugh in midfield and isolate our only real goal threat.

It's Aspin who is choosing to play Tonge and Pugh, and Aspin who is leaving Whitfield and Harness on the bench. It's also Aspin who has ostracised certain players. But, hey, doesn't matter, at least none of our players wear ******* gloves any more.

People keep going on about how we had 5 points when he took over but I'm more concerned (and very concerned) about the here and now. I desperately want Aspin and Rudgie to succeed and ram these words (along with the doubts I expressed before he joined us) down my throat but I just don't see it happening.

Sums my feelings up pretty well, good post

Could very easily have been many reasons not necessarily down to the budget for the January window. People automatically seem to be stating that Norman was scrimping in the winter window but I don't think this has to be the case. I've said it before but I believe Norman's actions re Page could have disuaded players from joining us far more than wages offered last month.

I'm sure they wouldn't play Tonge and Pugh in midfield and isolate our only real goal threat.

If aspo has told Norman that he is sure he can keep this side up and the money would be better spent in the summer then that could be another reason. Of course we want to improve the team whenever possible but this season was always a write off due to Brown being given the job in the first place and then keeping it after relegation. I will save judgement for the summer and what the squad looks like on 1st Sept and hope and pray we stay up. (I'm pretty confident we should despite the poor form and doom and gloom at the minute)

Settled on non league football I gather? How can it not be doom and gloom with what we are facing? Give us some positives in your eyes then?

We aren't in the bottom two, and aren't that bad that we won't win again this season. Given the number of six pointers to play we could be safe sooner rather than later. It only feels bad because the weekends results all went against us which won't happen every week.

At this stage of the season we have to stick with Aspo and the players we have and hope to god a few results go our way. Come end of May all need to re-evaluate their postions at the club from the owner down to the players. To be fair to Aspo our current run is dire, relegation fodder all the way but that run in November and December if only half replicated will be enough like others these six pointers are essential we can not afford to lose any and need to win some.

When Aspin took over we did not get an instant reaction. We lost. Anyone who has watched all the games and who thought we would storm the league after Luton is criminally insane. We've had a dross squad since the start of the season, and an even worse one now.

If Aspin keeps us up he's the messiah. If he doesn't he's just a naughty manager who got stuck with a pile of dross which got worse in Jan thanks to the penny-pincher in chief - and he can't do miracles.

When Aspin took over we did not get an instant reaction. We lost. Anyone who has watched all the games and who thought we would storm the league after Luton is criminally insane. We've had a dross squad since the start of the season, and an even worse one now.

If Aspin keeps us up he's the messiah. If he doesn't he's just a naughty manager who got stuck with a pile of dross which got worse in Jan thanks to the penny-pincher in chief - and he can't do miracles.

His first 9 games were 4-1-4

Think we can excuse him the Grimsby game as was it a mere 2 days after he took over? There was a pretty much instant reaction as we then won the next 3 before petering out.

So far this season we have had an 11 game winless run and now are on a 9 game winless run.

Not pretty reading in as much as the 2 barren spells have totalled 20 games !!!

I,m definitely in the Aspo camp though a little concerned at some of the selection and tactics used recently

All this talk of Aspin not been the right man is simply ridiculous. Most of the players at the Vale are non league fodder. Since Aspin's took over Vale are 14th in the league table, with 30 points from 23 league games which is quite impressive with the players we do have. Yes we all want to end this winless run, but moaning about Aspin and saying he's not the right man is quite embarrassing.

All this talk of Aspin not been the right man is simply ridiculous. Most of the players at the Vale are non league fodder. Since Aspin's took over Vale are 14th in the league table, with 30 points from 23 league games which is quite impressive with the players we do have. Yes we all want to end this winless run, but moaning about Aspin and saying he's not the right man is quite embarrassing.

Not one person here was saying that our squad was not good enough or "non league fodder" when we had a good run of form for a month or so. And the only players we don't have that we did then are Gunning and Anderson! Granted our squad leaves a lot to be desired but you could say that about most teams in the league. We should be performing better than we have been doing this year, 100%.

We've had too many crap team selections and crap tactics, both home and away, under Aspin of late. He is largely responsible for that.

Archived