onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

19 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

That simply isn't a fact at all.

In theory, it's an easier negotiating position if you represent a larger group but it's not a fact that it will transpire that way. There are many other variables.

Depends which way you look at it.

If the question is who will get a better deal with the US (FOR THE BENEFIT OF THE UK) then I think the UK would get a better deal than the EU.

Remain is all about over simplifying everything into just big numbers. How can the EU secure a trade deal that benefits all of its members at the same time? It is actually very unlikely as there are 28 member states with different needs different skills different markets different deficiencies.

So when we're talking about the EU being super duper at signing trade deals, are we talking about it benefitting the UK or the EU in general as they are not the same thing.

And a trade deal would have to be mutually beneficial, why would we agree to be a dumping ground? It's just not realistic to think that.

Trump has the dumping truck, likely to be a Caterpillar not a JCB

Advert

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

Who will get a better deal with the US, the UK or the EU? We are more likely to be the dumping ground and not be able to tax the likes of Google and Amazon.

Better isn't a question I addressed mate..... just ease.

Question I don't know the answer to........ does the EU consult with the members about details of a deal? And...... do individual members get to say no?

Every developed country in the world belongs to a trading bloc. Everyone. America, Asia, Europe. Why do they do that if it's better to branch out on your own? Why do Norway and Switzerland pay big bucks to access the EU market? Can you explain why?

Self evidently, economies of scale mean that big companies in 99/100 cases can undercut smaller ones. Look at the evidence. Amazon. Why is shopping cheaper in Aldi and Tesco rather than the corner shop?

Just as obvious is that a free trade area and single market of 500 million customers will have greater leverage than one country of 60 million customers. It's a no brainer. Arguing the opposite is daft.

You dismiss foreign companies investing here, like Toyota and Nissan. But they have helped our economy and employ over 100,000 people. They came for access to the EU. How you can dismiss this inward investment with a few expletives amazes me.

Just as you reckon we can do deals with parts of the world where it is predicted that growth will occur in the future, so too can the EU. It recently signed deals with Japan and South America. But if I use your own argument that 90% of growth will happen outside the EU I might say that's fake news and you are making it up, because you don't know that it will happen. You can't have it both ways.

Geo, I think EU trade deals are proposed by the Commission, then have to pass through the Council and through Parliament and are then ratified. They have a panel of experts who negotiate and member countries' have an input as well as votes. However, I don't know if it's all majority voting or 1/27 can veto it. I imagine it's the former but I don't honestly know. Clearly it's a joint decision and we are not acting alone (which supports those who argue around "sovereignty") but I'm pretty sure that in the last 5 years at least, for example, the UK has voted for 95% of what's gone through (all laws) and I doubt any country is going to argue against a free trade deal are they?

2 minutes ago, geosname said:

Sage...... I don't know the answer either mate..... I do wonder how horse meat was allowed into the food chain..... but that's nowt to do with a trade deal..... I think.

I assume within the EU it is a national decision, based on national customs. I remember it being sold in Hanley as dog food, but the English have an aversion to eating it. Don't see a great difference in the composition of  beef, horse, or venison  myself, other countries eat dogs as we eat rabbit. The main thing is for all meat to be labelled.

7 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

What about the fact that we can sign our own trade deals outside of the EU? That's a fact.

What about all the other variables we have control over that can influence the economy?

What about the failing economies in the EU?

What about the fact that 90% of economic growth will happen outside of the eu?

These are all relevant facts surely?

Of course you can sign trade deals outside the EU but that's not the point is it, the UK wants trade deals that favor the UK but it will be harder on as a small country rather than being part of a block of 28 countries.

The other 3 sentences above say everything, you're clutching at straws with no facts or evidence to back up your statements.

3 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

Of course you can sign trade deals outside the EU but that's not the point is it, the UK wants trade deals that favor the UK but it will be harder on as a small country rather than being part of a block of 28 countries.

The other 3 sentences above say everything, you're clutching at straws with no facts or evidence to back up your statements.

Has the deal between usa and EU favoured british and Irish beef farmers? 

It's an eu deal so it must be absolutely fantastic for Britain. 

47 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

Has the deal between usa and EU favoured british and Irish beef farmers? 

It's an eu deal so it must be absolutely fantastic for Britain. 

US beef is banned as far as I know, so British and Irish farmers must be better off.

Archived