Brexit again...

6 hours ago, toyahw said:

I don't think much thought is given to us Brits who live on the continent and are in much the same position as Europeans living in the UK. In fact this never comes up. It is like all Brits living in Europe are rich pensioners in Spain so eff them.

Not true. I've lived my entire working life in NL, raised both our kids here. Speak the lingo. Own our house. Then you get called to go to the alien police (last year)? This is not a nice thing for people just going about their business. 

And we never even got a vote on the whole mess.

Same boat. I have no clue what will happen if Brexit happens and I have a 12 year old daughter, a business and a house here in Finland. And like you, I was given no vote and therefore no say in this matter. I have yet to meet a single Finn who thinks Brexit is a good idea.

It seems we have another day of Boris Johnson's smoke and mirrors, where Boris seems to think progress is bring made towards a deal and everyone else doesn't. Does anyone really believe anything this guy says? This is just a game with the goal of keeping him in power. 

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geosname

• Fosse69

• For Us All

• Regal Beagle

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't accept the narrative that the EU is destroying our sovereignty and is any more anti-democratic than a country that has just elected a PM based on less than 0.01% the electorate, including 15 y

I don't agree.  There are a considerable number of male MPs who talk utter rubbish and don't know what they're talking about.  Andrew Bridgen for example, was on Radio 5 telling the world that as an E

This is reaching the stage of two bald blokes arguing over a comb. Tweak May’s backstop, put it back to the Commons, vote without three line whips and get it done. 

Posted Images

2 minutes ago, VantaaVale said:

Same boat. I have no clue what will happen if Brexit happens and I have a 12 year old daughter, a business and a house here in Finland. And like you, I was given no vote and therefore no say in this matter. I have yet to meet a single Finn who thinks Brexit is a good idea.

It seems we have another day of Boris Johnson's smoke and mirrors, where Boris seems to think progress is bring made towards a deal and everyone else doesn't. Does anyone really believe anything this guy says? This is just a game with the goal of keeping him in power. 

It's a game that keeps them all in power.... And sets the scene for the start of the next game the GE.

I don't believe what any of them say

9 minutes ago, colin said:

I know that. I was using his logic. Mays deal has no mandate. No deal has no mandate either.

The  only question asked was answered..... it's the politicians who screwed it up.... Mays deal, no Mays deal. No deal. No no deal.

The only deal that was agreed by a large majority was no deal..... as the default..... which they put into play when they rejected Mays deal.

5 hours ago, toyahw said:

No. Having to go to the alien police in a country you have quite happily legally lived in for years is rotten. I've had to go twice now. 

I know the feeling mate...... rules are changing here..... I have to "report in" every 3 months now

10 minutes ago, geosname said:

I know the feeling mate...... rules are changing here..... I have to "report in" every 3 months now

Funny feeling isn't it? When you are on first name terms with the neighbours and almost more local than the "locals" in many ways.

Edited by toyahw

1 hour ago, colin said:

Great post. And what a waste of three years when there are much bigger issues in this country to deal with.

Last week animal cruelty and domestic abuse bills were cancelled because of it.

Look at how many people are homeless or in poverty.

Social care.

Climate change.

E.t.c

Totally agree, so let’s leave at the end of October with or without a deal and move on.

32 minutes ago, toyahw said:

Funny feeling isn't it? When you are on first name terms with the neighbours and almost more local than the "locals" in many ways.

They have started to impliment laws, initially to restrict Cambodian workers, for any foreigner ..... away from your residence for more than 24 hours you have to "report "...... or fines can be imposed.

Not trying to detract from your problems mate.

2 hours ago, colin said:

You said no deal had mandate because the Tories were voted in in 2017 and in their manifesto it said no deal is better than a bad deal. Well it also said theyd get a deal which they did. And they obviously thought it was a good deal. So according to you it had a mandate. 

I dont know how much more simply I can say it colin.

No deal is better than a bad deal. 

They won the 2017 election. 

3 hours ago, colin said:

Find it very amusing that Boris Johnson can call people a chicken when he runs away from a press conference because he heard some protesters

I find a failed eu political ambush amusing. Boris spot on again, 1 step ahead. It was a disgraceful stunt and yet another in a long line that will blow up in the EUs face. It's almost as if they want us to leave. 

2 hours ago, VantaaVale said:

With all due respect, why should you get a vote on how we want to be governed? I dont get a say on how Finland is governed. 

7 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

With all due respect, why should you get a vote on how we want to be governed? I dont get a say on how Finland is governed. 

Finland are in the EU. You are allowed to vote for MEPs in the UK to sit in the European parliament so you do get a say. In fact the UK has one of the biggest share of MEPs in the European parliament. 

13 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

I am British. I hold a Uk Passport. Brexit directly affects me and yet I have no say in it. This is not about government.

3 minutes ago, colin said:

Finland are in the EU. You are allowed to vote for MEPs in the UK to sit in the European parliament so you do get a say. In fact the UK has one of the biggest share of MEPs in the European parliament. 

Is it also a fact that we are one of the least represented countries per capita? 

I assume vantaa can vote for MEPs so therefore gets a say on how we are governed anyway? 

Not in my case. I don't give a monkey's uncle who is in power, it has never affected me in any case, whether or not I was living in the UK. However, Brexit is a totally different animal. Brexit is one thing which will most likely directly affect me and as such I find it incredible that I was not allowed a say on that. This is not about government in my mind (ymmv), this is about my right to live in the EU as a British Citizen as I am currently doing, as I have been doing for 22 years.

Toyahw is absolutely right. British citizens living in the EU are very rarely mentioned in this farcical Brexit debate. Why is that? Would that fill any Brit living in the EU with any confidence should Brexit happen.