• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geosname

• Fosse69

• For Us All

• Regal Beagle

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I don't accept the narrative that the EU is destroying our sovereignty and is any more anti-democratic than a country that has just elected a PM based on less than 0.01% the electorate, including 15 y

I don't agree.  There are a considerable number of male MPs who talk utter rubbish and don't know what they're talking about.  Andrew Bridgen for example, was on Radio 5 telling the world that as an E

This is reaching the stage of two bald blokes arguing over a comb. Tweak May’s backstop, put it back to the Commons, vote without three line whips and get it done. 

Posted Images

12 hours ago, mr.hobblesworth said:

No Deal ruled out and put beyond the reach of Johnson's duplicitous machinations, and then a general election in which Labour will pledge to negotiate a deal with the oft repeated red lines and take it back to the people with 2 options; leave with a deal or remain. Admittedly, Labour's position on what we will campaign for when it comes to that is currently up in the air but it seems to be going they way of either neutral (and allowing each MP to campaign for whichever side they see fit) or remain. I was at my local CLP meeting on Tuesday and there was some heated debate as to whether we should campaign for remain; I personally favour the neutral option.

So in essence..... negotiate a deal that does not take us out of the EU..... then offer the public a choice of not leaving or remaining.... sounds like a plan.

9 hours ago, geosname said:

There is only supposition and accusation, difficult to see any actual evidence.

That used to be called a kangaroo court.

Has parliament been suspended for long periods before?

Was there a legal challenge when parliament wasn't suspended as is the norm?

All the question marks in your post suggest the motive is far from clear..... yet the curt decided the motive and judged accordingly?.... is that judgement of fact or assumption/presumption ?

How long will it be before legal challenges become the norm..... from any side.... because they don't like what's going on.

Will the next social bill be challenged because the motives may be dubious? 

I don't know what the motive was..... I can guess.... should that guess be allowed as evidence because I could make the facts and the circumstances fit?

The last 'long period of suspension' in the UK was at the end of WWII. Although I'm not sure why.

If my memory still serves me well Geo, Australia is similar to the UK when it comes to the convention of suspending Parliament, but when it does happen such suspensions are for short periods - 1 to 2 weeks.

A recent suspension 'Downunder was, in my opinion, driven by political expediency to stifle debate on tax cuts seen as unfavourable to the lowest income earners. It may have been the wrong way to resolve the tax debate - which was confirmed and passed when Parliament returned - but it was a normal, though rarely used convention.

The High Court of Australia was established in 1901 by Section 71 of the our Constitution and functions to interpret and apply Federal and State issues of significance plus challenges to our Constitution.

The operative word 'significance' means just that. The High Court takes a dim view of all or anyone from the body politic referring issues simply because they may be 'dubious'.

3 hours ago, geosname said:

So in essence..... negotiate a deal that does not take us out of the EU..... then offer the public a choice of not leaving or remaining.... sounds like a plan.

Problem is Geo with No Deal taken off the table (as far as I understand it) the UK is not in negotiating mode, it's in persuasion mode because it can't walk away from some form of membership of the EU. The EU has said May's deal is the only deal on the table and her deal was worse than being a full member.

8 minutes ago, Aussie Rules said:

The last 'long period of suspension' in the UK was at the end of WWII. Although I'm not sure why.

If my memory still serves me well Geo, Australia is similar to the UK when it comes to the convention of suspending Parliament, but when it does happen such suspensions are for short periods - 1 to 2 weeks.

A recent suspension 'Downunder was, in my opinion, driven by political expediency to stifle debate on tax cuts seen as unfavourable to the lowest income earners. It may have been the wrong way to resolve the tax debate - which was confirmed and passed when Parliament returned - but it was a normal, though rarely used convention.

The High Court of Australia was established in 1901 by Section 71 of the our Constitution and functions to interpret and apply Federal and State issues of significance plus challenges to our Constitution.

The operative word 'significance' means just that. The High Court takes a dim view of all or anyone from the body politic referring issues simply because they may be 'dubious'.

The notion of the judiciary and the executive crossing lines and "messing" is dangerous to me Barry 

52 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

Problem is Geo with No Deal taken off the table (as far as I understand it) the UK is not in negotiating mode, it's in persuasion mode because it can't walk away from some form of membership of the EU. The EU has said May's deal is the only deal on the table and her deal was worse than being a full member.

But the deal isn't really the deal..... it's only the withdrawal agreement..... we can't come to a deal until after "the deal" has been agreed, then we can agree deals...... so which deal are labour going to renegotiate ?.... the deal the EU have said can't  be renegotiated or a new deal the EU have stated they won't negotiate..... but that's not the real deal.... that's the deal they voted down 3 times..... are we getting confused yet..... that's only a fraction of the political sound bites yet to come..... from the people in the know.

22 minutes ago, geosname said:

The notion of the judiciary and the executive crossing lines and "messing" is dangerous to me Barry 

I agree Geo. But the founding fathers of Federation in their wisdom decided it would be the right way to manage the differences between the States and Territories.

35 minutes ago, Aussie Rules said:

I agree Geo. But the founding fathers of Federation in their wisdom decided it would be the right way to manage the differences between the States and Territories.

The difference here Barry, as I'm sure you know, the territories is anything outside parliament whilst everything inside parliament is in a state .

Wish I could do smilies 

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Aussie Rules said:

A factor could be that the election was in July 45 and clashed with Lancashire Wakes weeks, some of which voted 1 or 2 weeks later, also allowing for forces overseas votes to be posted back meant that the results were not declared until 3 weeks after most people had voted..

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

That's about three years old, geo, which makes it even more depressing!!

I came across it by accident when watching cheap flights.... another funny one..... which I posted in what are you listening to..... there are some amusing similarities between cheap flights and brexit.

8 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

Not how it works paul. I've told you my source. I've posted screenshots in this thread. 

It sounds like your issue here is with the eu. Perhaps contact them.

Then you should be able to post the link or the screen shot very easily.

My issue is porkies being told to make a point.