onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Advert

Sorry you have lost me, the larger cities mainly voted for remain because they benefit from better jobs and better pay.

The original argument was that people voted for Brexit partly because of immigration. I used London as an example of that. 37% of London's population at the 2011 census were born abroad. That is over 3 million people.

So guess what. Sorry you Northern folk you can't have no money for your powerhouse. We need it to build a new sewer system and cross rail to cope with the overall growth in London population. And you young folk, you can't buy a house because we foreigners have taken them all. And if you can find a residual house, we forced up the price so you can't afford it etc.

Now, to be fair I know lots of immigrants and I have no problem with them on an individual basis. It's the complete lack of management of immigration I have a big problem with. Either this gets resource managed properly or it has to stop. Ditto demand on the NHS. Ditto increase in road traffic. Ditto demand on local authority services.

It’s a bit like politics, nearly all Indians I have spoken to voted leave and pretty well all Muslims I have spoken to voted remain. London has a very high concentration of Muslims and if that goes along with those I’ve spoken to it would be correct. Also, the cities have a younger population which again had a higher percentage of remain voters.

Very nice if you can get it... and these 2 can.

Brussels was accused of 'unacceptable greed' last night as it emerged Jean-Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk are in line for nearly £440,000 in 'golden goodbyes'.

The Eurocrats, whose terms finish in November, are entitled to the bumper severance payments after leaving office.

It means Mr Tusk, president of the European Council, is in line to rake in up to £288,000 for a 'transitional allowance', while European Commission chief Mr Juncker can pocket £144,000.

Mr Juncker, 64, missed out on a further £144,000 because he reaches pensionable age half-way through the two-year payout period.

The handouts begin the day after they leave office. The pair will still be entitled to the handouts even if they secure new jobs. The amounts will only be reduced if other incomes combined with the 'golden goodbye' exceed their current salary.

When other allowances are included, both presidents already receive more than £350,000-a-year in pay – £200,000 more than the UK Prime Minister's salary.

The revelations come as Brussels demands that Britain pay a £39billion divorce bill even in the event of a No Deal.

Last night the EU defended the payments, saying they ensure 'a certain level of financial security' after stepping down – but critics condemned the lavish packages.

Last night a European Commission spokesman said: 'The objective [of the payments] is to ensure a certain level of financial security until their next paid employment.

Very nice if you can get it... and these 2 can.

Brussels was accused of 'unacceptable greed' last night as it emerged Jean-Claude Juncker and Donald Tusk are in line for nearly £440,000 in 'golden goodbyes'.

The Eurocrats, whose terms finish in November, are entitled to the bumper severance payments after leaving office.

It means Mr Tusk, president of the European Council, is in line to rake in up to £288,000 for a 'transitional allowance', while European Commission chief Mr Juncker can pocket £144,000.

Mr Juncker, 64, missed out on a further £144,000 because he reaches pensionable age half-way through the two-year payout period.

The handouts begin the day after they leave office. The pair will still be entitled to the handouts even if they secure new jobs. The amounts will only be reduced if other incomes combined with the 'golden goodbye' exceed their current salary.

When other allowances are included, both presidents already receive more than £350,000-a-year in pay – £200,000 more than the UK Prime Minister's salary.

The revelations come as Brussels demands that Britain pay a £39billion divorce bill even in the event of a No Deal.

Last night the EU defended the payments, saying they ensure 'a certain level of financial security' after stepping down – but critics condemned the lavish packages.

Last night a European Commission spokesman said: 'The objective [of the payments] is to ensure a certain level of financial security until their next paid employment.

Won't job seekers allowance do the same thing.

The original argument was that people voted for Brexit partly because of immigration. I used London as an example of that. 37% of London's population at the 2011 census were born abroad. That is over 3 million people.

So guess what. Sorry you Northern folk you can't have no money for your powerhouse. We need it to build a new sewer system and cross rail to cope with the overall growth in London population. And you young folk, you can't buy a house because we foreigners have taken them all. And if you can find a residual house, we forced up the price so you can't afford it etc.

Now, to be fair I know lots of immigrants and I have no problem with them on an individual basis. It's the complete lack of management of immigration I have a big problem with. Either this gets resource managed properly or it has to stop. Ditto demand on the NHS. Ditto increase in road traffic. Ditto demand on local authority services.

Management and austerity are the problem, most of the large cities and London voted for Remain. Lack of proper funding of the NHS and housing caused the problems, housing renewals in London forced residents and the housing of refugees northwards but without the necessary funding of services. Immigration is no longer a high profile as the benefits have been highlighted.

It’s a bit like politics, nearly all Indians I have spoken to voted leave and pretty well all Muslims I have spoken to voted remain. London has a very high concentration of Muslims and if that goes along with those I’ve spoken to it would be correct. Also, the cities have a younger population which again had a higher percentage of remain voters.
Leicester with a 20% Indian population voted to remain.

Leicester with a 20% Indian population voted to remain.

And 18.6% Muslim population so that would fit in with what I said. That leaves over 60% other so it doesn’t mean a definite outcome but can make a massive difference should there be a large Indian or Muslim population in a certain area.

This cities voted remain thing doesn't stack up. 17.4 million people, the majority voted leave. They don't all live in a Shropshire field or up a Cumbrian mountain. I think Stoke voted leave, for example!? A vote was a vote, not first past the post in constituency, so there was always a mix wherever the count.

Why do you think Cash, Mogg, Bone, Johnson etc want to come out, because they will be on a big gravy train. We have been conned all along by the RW of the Tory party, they have no intention of a deal they want to crash out. You backers on here have been conned, the Labour Party obsessed with wAnting a General Election have played right into the hands of Mr (I want a deal)Johnson.

Possibly, but not to keep them in the manner they are used to, or until they get another gravy train...

This cities voted remain thing doesn't stack up. 17.4 million people, the majority voted leave. They don't all live in a Shropshire field or up a Cumbrian mountain. I think Stoke voted leave, for example!? A vote was a vote, not first past the post in constituency, so there was always a mix wherever the count.

Of the 30 major cities listed on the link 16 voted leave which is the same pretty well as the final percentage but 4 of the 5 largest cities in Britain voted remain.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2016_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum

Of the 30 major cities listed on the link 16 voted leave which is the same pretty well as the final percentage but 4 of the 5 largest cities in Britain voted remain.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Results_of_the_2016_United_Kingdom_European_Union_membership_referendum

Labour votes concentrated in metro areas hence 60% voted remain, conversely Tory votes in suburban and rural areas so 60% voted leave. Neglected areas tending to UKIP so voted leave. Cant see how leaving will help.

Archived