onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

You gleaned all that from a crap song in a contest we regularly fail in.

We have won it maybe half a dozen times since 1956?.... and not since the late 90s..... so Europe has thought badly about us for 20+ years?..... no change there then

Isn`t the prize the cost of hosting next years contest?

Advert

After seeing a few photos of the event i am reminded of a Groucho Marx quote....

, PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON'T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.

They also remind me of the carnival freak shows common many years ago.

You gleaned all that from a crap song in a contest we regularly fail in.

We have won it maybe half a dozen times since 1956?.... and not since the late 90s..... so Europe has thought badly about us for 20+ years?..... no change there then

Overall we are in the top three with five wins,fifteen runners-up and three third place finishes in sixty three years.

Ireland have seven wins and Sweden six.

We have been runners-up eleven times more than anyone else.

A bit of a hard luck story on our behalf?

This is a good video which breaks down the democracy (or supposed lack thereof) of the EU and its governance:

Nice and simple, and really professional.

There is definite flaws in the EU, such as the Parliament's lack of power to propose laws, but if you gave them that power you would cede some power from the Council, which is made up of Theresa May and all the other Member States' leaders. As with any successful large scale political system, it is a compromise. The Commission is undoubtedly questionable and the most controversial, but the choice is made by the leaders of the Member States and has to be ratified by the Parliament, of which we both have direct elections for.

Of course, with 27 other states represented and their views needing to be heard, it isn't just Britain's decision, but in my view that is part of the compromise of a globalised world we enjoy and profit from so much (despite the current negativity). We can't have it both ways; if we want full sovereignty, we withdraw quite substantially from the globalised world which bring us such prosperity and wealth (relative to historical comparisons). If we want full access to prosperity and wealth, we concede sovereignty, which, in our heart of hearts, isn't really that big of a deal unless you're a legal expert, or have some vague notion of British exceptionalism. Sometimes, you have to make decisions in partner with others in order to reap the most benefits.

People will disagree, and see Britain's ability to solely make all the laws that affect it of paramount importance. I disagree. Its really not that important, and no one has pointed out an EU law which directly damages us in any substantial way (please don't come at me with fishing arguments, which are both tenuous and impacting approx 0.12% of our economic output. Get over the fisherman)

We either directly or indirectly elect the people in the EU. Its not perfect, but reclaiming some vague notion of sovereignty is, in my opinion, really not the worth risking the economy and existing trade deals we have with nations via the EU.

Full list of academic sources for that video: https://sites.google.com/view/sourceseu-elections/

You can't really argue with the thrust of the argument presented.

The only issue for debate is whether full and entire sovereignty in a globalised, interconnected world, is worth withdrawing from the largest free market in the history of our planet. Its down to preference, I guess. If you genuinely care about our parliament and executive's ability to make literally every single law that impact's the United Kingdom, then fair enough. I don't really get it, but that's the perspective people have got.

I see the 'Donkeys' have started taking the billboards down saying ‘We’ve been getting some justified criticism today on social media for posting a billboard of Ann Widdecombe’s homophobic views.

Just because we’re outraged by her views it doesn’t mean everyone will be, and more importantly there will be some who’ll take her words at face value".

Homophobic? As far as I know all she has done is disagree with so-called 'gay marriage'. That's far from demonising an entire class of people because of what they are or believe.

If that's homophobic then there are an awful lot of homophobes out there.

Homophobic? As far as I know all she has done is disagree with so-called 'gay marriage'. That's far from demonising an entire class of people because of what they are or believe.

Exactly,like I said a few posts ago,they are getting really desperate now?

She said homosexual acts were morally wrong. Slight difference, and outrightly homophobic.

Whether you agree or not that gay marriage should exist, a gay man/woman loving another gay man/woman is not morally wrong.

Exactly,like I said a few posts ago,they are getting really desperate now?

Nope.

She said homosexual acts were morally wrong.

Not getting desperate. Just showing her up for the old bigot she is.

I see the 'Donkeys' have started taking the billboards down saying ‘We’ve been getting some justified criticism today on social media for posting a billboard of Ann Widdecombe’s homophobic views.

Just because we’re outraged by her views it doesn’t mean everyone will be, and more importantly there will be some who’ll take her words at face value".

They've taken it down not because her views are correct, but in their billboards they mockingly use her quote as a manifesto pledge of the Brexit Party (who are without any concrete proposals, policies, or manifestos). As a consequence, the billboard, in its guise as a faux-Brexit Party manifesto, mockingly suggests the gays should be 'targeted', lampooning Widdecombe's archaic views.

The fear is, some people won't be intelligent enough to gather that it is satirical and will now go out and 'target the gays'.

It isn't the most ingenious political marketing but Donkeys are the only people calling out the likes of Farage, Davis, Widdecombe etc for their distasteful views on homosexuals, private healthcare, and, in Davis' case, how easy Brexit would be.

They've taken it down not because her views are correct, but in their billboards they mockingly use her quote as a manifesto pledge of the Brexit Party (who are without any concrete proposals, policies, or manifestos). As a consequence, the billboard, in its guise as a faux-Brexit Party manifesto, mockingly suggests the gays should be 'targeted', lampooning Widdecombe's archaic views.

The fear is, some people won't be intelligent enough to gather that it is satirical and will now go out and 'target the gays'.

It isn't the most ingenious political marketing but Donkeys are the only people calling out the likes of Farage, Davis, Widdecombe etc for their distasteful views on homosexuals, private healthcare, and, in Davis' case, how easy Brexit would be.

It was the wrong time to do it though and they obviously hadn't thought it through,especially with recent issues in Birmingham last week where parent rallies outside Parkfield Community School resulted in teachers having to stop lessons on homophobia indefinitely.

It was the wrong time to do it though and they obviously hadn't thought it through,especially with recent issues in Birmingham last week where parent rallies outside Parkfield Community School resulted in teachers having to stop lessons on homophobia indefinitely.

I listened to one of the opponents among parents at this school. He said "God made man, and then he made woman for the pleasure of man". On a TV News programme. I am minded that those sort of views, with all the much deeper bigotry that must flow from them, has to be challenged via the state education system.

Archived