onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Advert

1 hour ago, Nofinikea said:

Carry on being whatever it is you are trying to be.

You know exactly why folk didnt turn out, it wasnt apathy as that suggests they didnt care.  It was because they didnt think that this country had so many stupid people.  I did though, so I turned out because I have to work with people every day who were banging on about leave and to a man it was all about immigration because "Nige was right", some even saying we should have listened to Enoch Powell!

Pretend whatever you want Geo, you just haven't got the balls to say what you want and that is 17m people were wrong.  It's not the first time a majority is wrong and it wont be the last.  We arent bloody lemmings.

You aren't the sharpest tool in the box are you.

I have the testicular fortitude to stand my ground without calling people names for not agreeing with me..... I also have the experience to understand that there are a multitude of people who didn't give a rat's ass about leaving or remaining in the EU.... until it got screwed up..... they are probably the same people who don't vote at general or local elections because they think it's a useless, pointless exercise.

So your contention is that remain voters didn't think people who wanted to leave would be stupid enough to vote leave..... how stupid are they?..... they didn't listen when the polls said it might be close?..... Wow that's some admission of stupidity.

How many times do I have to state my position?

Yes 52% were wrong.  Just because it's the majority (if 17m of 43m is a majority) doesnt mean it's right.  It's not democratic to push on with something that is clearly wrong it's stupid.

What this referendum has done is show that proportional representation doesnt work and would return an unworkable situation time and again.

So proportional representation doesn't work and the best way is first past the post...... unless you don't like the result then second past the post wins?

If you consider the people who didn't vote in the count and apportioned them proportionately the leave vote % would have increased..... proportionately.

It's a little unusual to count votes that were not cast in the result..... they just represent the people who, for whatever reason, couldnt/wouldn't give a rat's ass

Yep, a right wing Tory led Parliment.

They have already slipped up and said we can be more competitive, what does that mean?  Min wage abolished?  Extended working hours?  Unfortunately the average shop floor worker who voted to leave the EU didnt understand that the EU actually protects there interests far better than ANY British government has.  .

They were uninformed and wrong.

So you think the Tories will win the next election with a large majority?

I hope not.

There is no chance the Conservatives will form a government with the Liberals or SNP. If the Brexit party don’t enter a general election the Conservatives will win a majority. My fear is if the Brexit party enter a general election we will end up with a Labour coalition with the SNP.

7 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

I think they will win and have to deal with either Lib dems or more likely the SNP to form a government which will involve a back down on Brexit.  However, if Labour ditch Corbyn, they could romp it, but they wont and they won't.

Tories giving SNP another referendum is unlikely.

Joining with lib dems is even less likely.

They can't afford to back down on brexit unless they find a suitable scapegoat.

Momentum won't ditch jezza.

14 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Proportional representation might on the surface seem like a fairer system but in reality it would deliver a government that cannot govern because it would be too close to form any meaning majority.

First past the post at least has a chance of putting a majority government in place.

I don't like PR. I'm not that keen on first past the post come to that, but without an alternative there isn't a viable option.

I would be in favour of "NONE OF THE ABOVE" on every ballot paper. If NOTA happened to win then a new ballot being called until someone won.... as I have said previously. 

Be interesting on here with some of you if your man of the people, Mr Brexit himself, King Boris calls a snap referendum which is being speculated on this morning... 

I would laugh my <ovf censored> off at you!

Why?...... just curious.

What is a snap referendum...... it would take weeks to sort out and agree and organise.

Be interesting on here with some of you if your man of the people, Mr Brexit himself, King Boris calls a snap referendum which is being speculated on this morning... 

I would laugh my <ovf censored> off at you!

Academics at University College London's Constitution Unit concluded that the minimum time required would be 22 weeks.

They argued that shortening the timescale further would raise questions about the legitimacy of the referendum.

They also acknowledged that the process could take longer where there is significant dispute in parliament, which happens to be the prevailing climate.

29 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

Proportional representation might on the surface seem like a fairer system but in reality it would deliver a government that cannot govern because it would be too close to form any meaning majority.

First past the post at least has a chance of putting a majority government in place.

FPTP elects extremes, with multi-seat PR coalitions are elected which means that common ground has to be sought. It would also elect parties like UKIP if they reach the threshold, giving them a voice instead of causing chaos in other parties. The major advantage would be to have a central or middle of the road party more or less permanent, the mood of the country changing on whether the left or right parties had the most seats. An end to marginal seats, all votes being more or less effective, what could be fairer? Highly unlikely to be brought about by parliament as turkeys don't vote for Xmas. Will need a disaster similar to Brexit to bring about. As far as I know of any major nations only the UK and the US use FPTP, what sort of Governments have they got, I rest my case.

3 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

And there we have the mess, so it actually makes sense to hold a 2nd ref to try and clear it up because until we do Parliment is pointless.

Another referendum is pointless,the losers,like Swinson just wouldn't accept the result if it didnt suit.

It's EU and Remainer strategy.

Archived