onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

6 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

But not to prevent parliamentary scrutiny of a national project, in the past it was usually for party advantage  by majority governments. Pretty emphatic decision by the Supreme Court 11-0.

All bills fail when parliament is dissolved,  a huge percentage of bills are national projects.

Did the court rule it only applied to minority governments?

The dissolution of parliament can now be challenged in court.

Are you suggesting it's ok for party advantage?..... I'm not sure that's what the court said

Advert

If the people were told the facts of leaving or remaining it wouldnt help. 

Vote remain........ because we might be worse off if we leave..... we don't know

Vote leave......... because we might be better off if we do....... we don't know

.the rest is just guess work, projection, forecast, possibility

Closing Parliament occurs on a majority vote by all MPs, not on the wishes of the PM alone.

The Court decision was unequivocal. Johnson misled the Queen and was trying to shut down debate. That's clearly unlawful and unconstitutional and he should resign. When has a PM ever been called to task like this before? Never. 

4 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

I would hope that the situation would be explained that it was final for say 10 years, and perhaps a 60% threshold  put on the result to give a more emphatic result.

One decision has been democratically made...... if the second referendum doesn't reach the threshold what's the faĺback position?

5 minutes ago, TheSage said:

Closing Parliament occurs on a majority vote by all MPs, not on the wishes of the PM alone.

From what I think I understand..... the court did not question his right to prorouge just his motives..... ie his motives were unlawful his right to prorouge was not

1 hour ago, Fosse69 said:

A confirmation referendum confirms what the people want, it can go either way when then know what is at stake. What the threshold will be I do not know, but 6o% is a more convincing result., 66% is better.

If there is a confirmation referendum it has to be on the same question, a simple leave or remain.

If anything is added it becomes a new referendum .... a different question.... ie Labour's proposition to have a referendum on a negotiated deal or leave is fundimentally different than the original question and is not a confirmation of the original.

Summer 25 July 2019 3 Sept 2019
Easter 11 April 2019 23 April 2019
May 2 May 2019 7 May 2019
Whitsun 23 May 2019 4 June 2019

If there was/is such a national crisis shouldn't these parliamentery recesses have been cancelled?...... or at least one of them?..... or a one line bill and vote?

Adam Boulton “ Would you push for Remain in the event of a GE”.

Dianne Abbott “ My constituents know I want to remain “

Adam Boulton “And if the one off conference decides differently?”

DA” Oh well,we will have to  take a view”

Love people with conviction.******* dunce.

11 hours ago, geosname said:

All bills fail when parliament is dissolved,  a huge percentage of bills are national projects.

Did the court rule it only applied to minority governments?

The dissolution of parliament can now be challenged in court.

Are you suggesting it's ok for party advantage?..... I'm not sure that's what the court said

The court ruled on the case in front of them, any action against the function of parliament can be challenged. The court was not looking at previous cases with different circumstances. There will always be disputes whilst the PM retains powers previous held by a royal, when parliament is sovereign. The PMs power should result from retaining the confidence of the house. This clown has none.

Archived