onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

2 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

They said they would seek an agreement. They also said we would definitely leave the single market and customs union.

They also said, as we agree, that no deal is better than a bad deal.

Not quite sure how technical you want to go here, it's quite clear what they said.

But in the government's eyes their deal was a good one.... so you think that it had a public mandate, because they were elected into government? 

Advert

4 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Can I just point out that on the day the referendum was announced, I said that it was daft to have a vote to return the sovereignty of the UK by taking away the sovereignty of the UK Parliament.  I never believed the first referendum was a sensible way of dealing with a complex constitutional question which few people really understood.  I don't believe we should have a second referendum.

I voted remain on the basis that if staying in the EU turned out to be a bad decision we could revisit the decision.  If we left the EU and it went <ovf censored> up then we'd never get back in on the deal we have at the moment.

Even the leavers are now admitting that there will be problems.  It's like shooting yourself in the foot - you know it's going to hurt like hell and will make your life very difficult for a while.  But don't worry because in the long term it will all heal up - unless you get an infection and your foot drops off, or you get sepsis and you die.  It's all a hell of a risk isn't it?

Great post. And what a waste of three years when there are much bigger issues in this country to deal with.

Last week animal cruelty and domestic abuse bills were cancelled because of it.

Look at how many people are homeless or in poverty.

Social care.

Climate change.

E.t.c

25 minutes ago, colin said:

But in the government's eyes their deal was a good one.... so you think that it had a public mandate, because they were elected into government? 

That was Mays deal..... the government didn't back it, the party didn't back it, parliament didn't back it

25 minutes ago, colin said:

I honestly don't know what you are getting at now.

Facts are, they promised to seek a deal and that no deal is better than a bad deal. They sought one and it was rubbish.

Whether they thought it was a good deal or not makes no difference to those factual statements.

30 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Can I just point out that on the day the referendum was announced, I said that it was daft to have a vote to return the sovereignty of the UK by taking away the sovereignty of the UK Parliament.  I never believed the first referendum was a sensible way of dealing with a complex constitutional question which few people really understood.  I don't believe we should have a second referendum.

I voted remain on the basis that if staying in the EU turned out to be a bad decision we could revisit the decision.  If we left the EU and it went <ovf censored> up then we'd never get back in on the deal we have at the moment.

Even the leavers are now admitting that there will be problems.  It's like shooting yourself in the foot - you know it's going to hurt like hell and will make your life very difficult for a while.  But don't worry because in the long term it will all heal up - unless you get an infection and your foot drops off, or you get sepsis and you die.  It's all a hell of a risk isn't it?

What do you mean taking away sovereignty of the UK Parliament?

1. We don't have sovereignty, the EU does.

2. Any domestic sovereignty that parliament has is derived from the people who elect them.

3. Parliament voted in favour of the referendum being of such great importance that the people should decide.

4. They voted to enact article 50.

5. They stood on pro-leave manifestos and were elected on that promise.

So are you REALLY trying to say that giving the people the decision was taking sovereignty away from Parliament?

As for your point about wanting to remain, that is a legitimate point. I can't ever foresee wanting to rejoin the EU in it's current format however so that is where we will disagree.

3 minutes ago, Regal Beagle said:

I honestly don't know what you are getting at now.

Facts are, they promised to seek a deal and that no deal is better than a bad deal. They sought one and it was rubbish.

Whether they thought it was a good deal or not makes no difference to those factual statements.

You said no deal had mandate because the Tories were voted in in 2017 and in their manifesto it said no deal is better than a bad deal. Well it also said theyd get a deal which they did. And they obviously thought it was a good deal. So according to you it had a mandate. 

3 minutes ago, geosname said:

It's one of the unnoticed effects of arsing around for 3 years mate

If parliament had got its act together ie recognising the result, showed a joint response this could have been over in 6months and we would have left with a decent agreement to both sides...

6 hours ago, toyahw said:

I don't think much thought is given to us Brits who live on the continent and are in much the same position as Europeans living in the UK. In fact this never comes up. It is like all Brits living in Europe are rich pensioners in Spain so eff them.

Not true. I've lived my entire working life in NL, raised both our kids here. Speak the lingo. Own our house. Then you get called to go to the alien police (last year)? This is not a nice thing for people just going about their business. 

And we never even got a vote on the whole mess.

Same boat. I have no clue what will happen if Brexit happens and I have a 12 year old daughter, a business and a house here in Finland. And like you, I was given no vote and therefore no say in this matter. I have yet to meet a single Finn who thinks Brexit is a good idea.

It seems we have another day of Boris Johnson's smoke and mirrors, where Boris seems to think progress is bring made towards a deal and everyone else doesn't. Does anyone really believe anything this guy says? This is just a game with the goal of keeping him in power. 

2 minutes ago, VantaaVale said:

Same boat. I have no clue what will happen if Brexit happens and I have a 12 year old daughter, a business and a house here in Finland. And like you, I was given no vote and therefore no say in this matter. I have yet to meet a single Finn who thinks Brexit is a good idea.

It seems we have another day of Boris Johnson's smoke and mirrors, where Boris seems to think progress is bring made towards a deal and everyone else doesn't. Does anyone really believe anything this guy says? This is just a game with the goal of keeping him in power. 

It's a game that keeps them all in power.... And sets the scene for the start of the next game the GE.

I don't believe what any of them say

9 minutes ago, colin said:

I know that. I was using his logic. Mays deal has no mandate. No deal has no mandate either.

The  only question asked was answered..... it's the politicians who screwed it up.... Mays deal, no Mays deal. No deal. No no deal.

The only deal that was agreed by a large majority was no deal..... as the default..... which they put into play when they rejected Mays deal.

Archived