onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

I don't think much thought is given to us Brits who live on the continent and are in much the same position as Europeans living in the UK. In fact this never comes up. It is like all Brits living in Europe are rich pensioners in Spain so eff them.

Not true. I've lived my entire working life in NL, raised both our kids here. Speak the lingo. Own our house. Then you get called to go to the alien police (last year)? This is not a nice thing for people just going about their business. 

And we never even got a vote on the whole mess.

Advert

3 hours ago, Regal Beagle said:

Did remainers know what they were voting for?

And if we do end up overturning democracy, will they advocate having a third referendum to decide "how" we remain? 

Chalk this one up as another point in the brexit column shall we? 

I agree, if we have a 2nd referendum it will set a precedent, all you have to do is cause a fuss  and you get another...with a general election you vote for the party you want first past the post wins, if your party lost then you know in at the most 5yrs you will have another chance...

12 minutes ago, toyahw said:

I don't think much thought is given to us Brits who live on the continent and are in much the same position as Europeans living in the UK. In fact this never comes up. It is like all Brits living in Europe are rich pensioners in Spain. 

Not true. I've lived my entire working life in NL, raised both our kids here. Speak the lingo. Own our house. Then you get called to go to the alien police (last year)? This is not a nice thing for people just going about their business. 

And we never even got a vote on the whole mess.

but didn't May say that all eu nationals in the uk upto brexit would be able to stay, plus any coming here for 2yrs after we left, so did not the eu reciprocate...

1 hour ago, Davebrad said:

I agree, if we have a 2nd referendum it will set a precedent, all you have to do is cause a fuss  and you get another...with a general election you vote for the party you want first past the post wins, if your party lost then you know in at the most 5yrs you will have another chance...

Before Cameron`s Tory party changed the rules we could have elections whenever Parliament voted for one, none of this dilly dallying, they never thought that 2/3 works both ways.

11 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Before Cameron`s Tory party changed the rules we could have elections whenever Parliament voted for one, none of this dilly dallying, they never thought that 2/3 works both ways.

That was the LibDems forced that. Along with vote on proportional rep. Part of the coalition agreement at that time.

4 hours ago, toyahw said:

No. Having to go to the alien police in a country you have quite happily legally lived in for years is rotten. I've had to go twice now. 

i'm sorry for you having to do that, May made the offer to the eu in june 2017 that the 3million eu citizens in this country and their families who had lived here for 5yrs could have full citizenship, plus anyone coming here for 2yrs after brexit the same, would the eu match the offer, apparently with your experience, they did not accept

9 hours ago, colin said:

Because in their manifesto they said they would get a deal. They got one. They thought it was a good one. So by your own logic ( they're in government), Mays deal has a public mandate. 

The backstop is not an issue. It's so far the only solution which has been presented to the border of Ireland.

They said they would seek an agreement. They also said we would definitely leave the single market and customs union.

They also said, as we agree, that no deal is better than a bad deal.

Not quite sure how technical you want to go here, it's quite clear what they said.

9 hours ago, colin said:

Remain is remain with the current relationship. There's no other version of remain.

Funny that. 

No one voted for the current eu. No one voted to be part of an eu empire.

Why does brexit need a specific water tight mandate but remain is remain? Even remainers said that they want to reform from within.

9 hours ago, colin said:

Its not my opinion that more Labour voters are remainers. That's a fact.

Plenty of jobs have already been lost in Labour areas. https://smallbusinessprices.co.uk/brexit-index/

Tell me how voting the Brexit party will increase anybody's quality of life?

Brexit was a middle class Tory vote. 59% of voters came from ABC1. 

Sorry I meant it is your opinion that people would be worse off.

8 hours ago, colin said:

The met police accepted they broke electoral law and Leave.eu receieved a fine but had no further action. Obviously breaking electoral law isn't serious enough. The unelected Boris Johnson also seems to think he is above the law.

A technical law. A small technical breach whereby further action would not be appropriate.

Like going 1 mph over the speed limit probably. 

Can I just point out that on the day the referendum was announced, I said that it was daft to have a vote to return the sovereignty of the UK by taking away the sovereignty of the UK Parliament.  I never believed the first referendum was a sensible way of dealing with a complex constitutional question which few people really understood.  I don't believe we should have a second referendum.

I voted remain on the basis that if staying in the EU turned out to be a bad decision we could revisit the decision.  If we left the EU and it went <ovf censored> up then we'd never get back in on the deal we have at the moment.

Even the leavers are now admitting that there will be problems.  It's like shooting yourself in the foot - you know it's going to hurt like hell and will make your life very difficult for a while.  But don't worry because in the long term it will all heal up - unless you get an infection and your foot drops off, or you get sepsis and you die.  It's all a hell of a risk isn't it?

Archived