onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Advert

I would imagine he knows more about higher education, science,and innovation in the UK, research and development, students' opportunities to study abroad, and a whole host of other sensible and relevant reasons why we should remain in the UK, than you or I. I think his opinion is worth taking seriously.

I'd say that intelligence is about taking the best advice, weighing up the evidence and not choosing a path that is very costly and a complete leap in the dark when we already have marvellous benefits and an economy that is the envy of the world by belonging to the biggest and best market there is anywhere on god's earth. Intelligence is not putting all this success and prosperity at risk by wasting untold billions on a wanton act of self harm.

2 hours ago, TheSage said:

I would imagine he knows more about higher education, science,and innovation in the UK, research and development, students' opportunities to study abroad, and a whole host of other sensible and relevant reasons why we should remain in the UK, than you or I. I think his opinion is worth taking seriously.

I'd say that intelligence is about taking the best advice, weighing up the evidence and not choosing a path that is very costly and a complete leap in the dark when we already have marvellous benefits and an economy that is the envy of the world by belonging to the biggest and best market there is anywhere on god's earth. Intelligence is not putting all this success and prosperity at risk by wasting untold billions on a wanton act of self harm.

Sage, I hope you are not seriously suggesting that Mr Hawking knows more about the current situation than RB!!

Two other points to note today, 1 The pound has slid again. 2 PSA give a warning that if the UK does not secure a suitable departure from the EU it will pull Vauxhall production out of the EU.  Or is this just Project Fear, or another unsubstantiated fact.  Meanwhile the Buffoon tours the U.K. throwing millions around trying to bribe us.

1 hour ago, tommytunstall said:

Sage, I hope you are not seriously suggesting that Mr Hawking knows more about the current situation than RB!!

Two other points to note today, 1 The pound has slid again. 2 PSA give a warning that if the UK does not secure a suitable departure from the EU it will pull Vauxhall production out of the EU.  Or is this just Project Fear, or another unsubstantiated fact.  Meanwhile the Buffoon tours the U.K. throwing millions around trying to bribe us. 

Amazing how you don't see a private company threatening the UK into doing something they want us to do as a threat but you do see a PM announcing some brilliant policies as bribing the public.

And I do take car manufacterers comments on politics with a pinch of salt considering their whole industry is suffering generally at the moment. Brexit may be the straw but there's plenty of other more significant factors if they choose to leave the UK.

1 hour ago, Regal Beagle said:

Amazing how you don't see a private company threatening the UK into doing something they want us to do as a threat but you do see a PM announcing some brilliant policies as bribing the public.

And I do take car manufacterers comments on politics with a pinch of salt considering their whole industry is suffering generally at the moment. Brexit may be the straw but there's plenty of other more significant factors if they choose to leave the UK.

The most significant factor is the relative cost of production. If Brexit puts their costs up higher than their other Continental European plants they'll make a decision based on cost.

Aren't PSA effectively Peugeot? If so, they have form for closing British factories as they shut the Talbot plant in Coventry for the same reason. 

33 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

The most significant factor is the relative cost of production. If Brexit puts their costs up higher than their other Continental European plants they'll make a decision based on cost.

Aren't PSA effectively Peugeot? If so, they have form for closing British factories as they shut the Talbot plant in Coventry for the same reason.  

Sure I understand that.

Thesage will probably blame the Coventry plant closing down on brexit even though it was probably 15 years ago.

Car manufacturers need free access to the EU market and 500 million consumers. That's why 1000 Japanese companies came here and why the Japanese PM has pleaded with May twice to negotiate a sensible deal or cancel Brexit. No overseas car manufacturer will stay here without cheap access to 500 million customers. I'm sure RB think they can sell these cars to the Faroe Islands and Singapore instead because reality alludes him.

And as TT says, sterling has dropped like a stone today. It's at its lowest for about 3 years and going south. Or maybe I'm making it up and its fake news. And yet this catastrophic damage to our economy can be avoided. It's all self inflicted. It's sheer madness and stupidity, the like of which I've never seen a UK government do before. The world thinks we've lost our marbles and we have.

17 hours ago, TheSage said:

Ah Nick! What a novel concept - politicians combining intelligence with common sense when developing economic and other policies for the benefit of Vox Populi. 

On 27/07/2019 at 10:16, TheSage said:

And in the meantime, in the latest news, we are told that a No deal threatens the science industry but we can always bury our heads in the sand and pretend otherwise if we don't like what we are told.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-49133625

If there is a No Deal it will be solely down to intransigence of the EU.They won't accept that their withdrawal agreement is a dead duck in parliament.They only want to keep the backstop in because it ties us to the customs union forever.

Delaying tactics until the vote is reversed has always been their strategy when other countries have tried to leave.It won't happen this time and until they see sense and decide to sit around the table again it's a lose/lose situation for everbody.

Archived