onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

2 hours ago, geosname said:

Brief outline.....

There was a vote to change the constitution...... no public debate was allowed.... dissent was frowned upon and punished.

It's a two chamber system, similar to ours, the army have taken a majority of the upper house.... as per the constitution..... everything has to go through the upper house to get passed.

Party leaders and parties have been banned and or prosecuted..... votes have probably been rigged.

Local town/village elections are decided by vote..... the canvassing goes as follows..... I represent the X party, here is 200bht, vote for me.

A cynic would say that was rigged.

Just come back from holiday and I asked my hotel owner how things were going in Greece.

His reply was "We have elections coming up and I'm unsure of what corrupt pig to vote for"?

😀

Advert

18 minutes ago, philpvfc said:

I’m off to Thailand in 8 days for  3 weeks. Flying to Phuket where we are staying in Patong for a few nights and Kata for the last week but not booked anywhere else yet. Can you recommend anywhere Geo, not looking to travel too far and was thinking of Koh Sai Noi and Ko Lanta?

Patong is a bit touristy for me but enjoyable..... karon beach is nice, or was, beware of rip tides though, very dangerous..... krabi is ok..... lots of boat trips to the islands and snorkelling .

Few tips incase you haven't been before.

Get a jar of tiger balm for the mosquitos... make sure the taxis put the meter on.... tuck tuks are not all 3 wheelers, cheap in the day expensive at night.... the local open mini buses are extremely cheap.... so are moped hire and moped taxis 100cc usually.... bike hire is cheap..... 7 11 stores everywhere.... don't touch Thais on the head..... don't put your feet up and show your soles... markets will charge you more so barter hard, even if it's cheap, jump in at about 50-60% of asking price.... the law isn't like the UK you can buy yourself out of almost anything..... heavy penalty for drugs..... the Bangkok Hilton isn't a hotel.... all the ladies are not all ladies..... you get a lot further with a smile.

If you haven't booked yet check out Asian rooms.... booking.com..... check the prices in Thai baht....... only about 38 to the £ at the moment.

Don't change your money in the UK...... or the airport you land at...... change a bit for incidentals ...... find one of the many exchange booths....... check a few for the best rate on the day..... avoid the banks.

Hope this helps a little...... if you need more specific info let me know.....

Remember it's rainy season (so hotels should be cheap) that doesn't mean it's cold...... 30c to 35c in the day..... bring some aftersun.

6 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Cheers. My 4th time to Thailand but always found the taxis don’t use meters outside Bangkok and have always had to negotiate the price before getting in. 

Bloody hell mate, you could have said, would have saved some typing.

On 13/07/2019 at 15:26, geosname said:

:rollonthefloor::rollonthefloor::woot:

Best described in one word mate.

Rigged.

If you want detail I can provide it in general terms.

Sounds familiar.

The MEP's in the EU Parliament have just received their ballot papers to decide the new EU Commission President.

Number of candidates on the the ballot paper - One.

You couldn't make it up.

18 minutes ago, For Us All said:

Sounds familiar.

The MEP's in the EU Parliament have just received their ballot papers to decide the new EU Commission President.

You couldn't make it up.

It is  an approval vote.  

1 hour ago, For Us All said:

Sounds familiar.

You couldn't make it up.

52 % of the vote......

8 hours ago, For Us All said:

Sounds familiar.

You couldn't make it up.

Do they get to do it again if they get it wrong?

Archived