onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Do you refer to the Germans who are the British royals?

If there's one thing I can't understand in this country it's the class conditioned love of royalty and an unelected head of state. Why would anyone hold someone else in esteem purely by accident of birth? Not only that but pay for the privilege too! The biggest pile of tripe ever spouted in support of royalty is to suggest they bring in significant tourism expenditure. The USA and France, for example, earn greater tourism revenues than us without suffering the indignity of being subjects to royalty, tourism to Britain would be totally unaffected by the royal ceasing to be. Anyone who supports funding of royalty through the civil list is not in a position to criticise anyone in receipt of benefits because the royals are the greatest individual recipients of benefits in the country and are even exempt the means testing applied to certain benefits.

A great thing about the EU is, like America, it's fundamentally a republic. The farce of royalty should be consigned to history where it belongs.

Thank you Jeremy for your insight.Now pack your bags and leg it with your buddy.GSTQ.

Advert

If there's one thing I can't understand in this country it's the class conditioned love of royalty and an unelected head of state. Why would anyone hold someone else in esteem purely by accident of birth? Not only that but pay for the privilege too! The biggest pile of tripe ever spouted in support of royalty is to suggest they bring in significant tourism expenditure. The USA and France, for example, earn greater tourism revenues than us without suffering the indignity of being subjects to royalty, tourism to Britain would be totally unaffected by the royal ceasing to be. Anyone who supports funding of royalty through the civil list is not in a position to criticise anyone in receipt of benefits because the royals are the greatest individual recipients of benefits in the country and are even exempt the means testing applied to certain benefits.

A great thing about the EU is, like America, it's fundamentally a republic. The farce of royalty should be consigned to history where it belongs.

Republicanism sounds like a good idea until you consider who the president could be.

If the Royal Family hadn't been around in the 1990s how does 'President Thatcher' sound? We could have been saddled with the old bag long after her sell by date. And if you say 'but we just wouldn't have elected her', well, that would depend on whether we went for an elected presidency or an appointed one like in Ireland. What should the president be? An executive figure, like in the US, or a figurehead like the Irish example? If the latter, we've already got one of those and having an hereditary monarch is to my mind infinitely better than the assorted has been politicians we inevitably would get.

Republicanism sounds like a good idea until you consider who the president could be.

If the Royal Family hadn't been around in the 1990s how does 'President Thatcher' sound? We could have been saddled with the old bag long after her sell by date. And if you say 'but we just wouldn't have elected her', well, that would depend on whether we went for an elected presidency or an appointed one like in Ireland. What should the president be? An executive figure, like in the US, or a figurehead like the Irish example? If the latter, we've already got one of those and having an hereditary monarch is to my mind infinitely better than the assorted has been politicians we inevitably would get.

Sorry but I fundamentally disagree, I don't believe in hereditary political privilege in any form. Whatever system is employed for an elected head of state at least they'd be the choice of the population and would serve a limited time, plus they can be removed, ie, they're accountable. Donald Trump may be a clown but he's the choice of the US electorate and will only get 8 years maximum. As for hereditary goons & despots England has a massive list of them, e.g., Henry VIII, George IV, Edward VII and next will be Charlie, a grade A useless half wit if ever there was one.

Again showing your true colors. You just don't like the EU or Europeans. I'm sure you, FUA et al are the kinds shouting "we paid our debts to Europe in British blood circa 1939-1945 we owe them nothing!!"

Your anti European and you can't really tell anyone anything of any detailed intellect why your actually against them, that weren't reasons used by the likes of UKIP and Co.

Any deal we make will be better for the EU than us. Meaning we lose out to what we have now. We need the trade it brings. Without it we will be knackered. Any deal will be bad and a no deal would be disastrous. Lets get the Philippines and Indonesia as our partners, they know what the crack it!!

Nothing wrong with not trusting huns waps spix dagoes frogs and slavs not forgetting quislings of course, remembering the temperance seven THE ENGLISH THE ENGLISH THE ENGLISH ARE BEST I WOULDN'T GIVE TUPPENCE FOR ALL OF THE REST,very true on with the german helmet sorry coal scuttle.

Sorry but I fundamentally disagree, I don't believe in hereditary political privilege in any form. Whatever system is employed for an elected head of state at least they'd be the choice of the population and would serve a limited time, plus they can be removed, ie, they're accountable. Donald Trump may be a clown but he's the choice of the US electorate and will only get 8 years maximum. As for hereditary goons & despots England has a massive list of them, e.g., Henry VIII, George IV, Edward VII and next will be Charlie, a grade A useless half wit if ever there was one.

now whos showing their true colours,corbyns sucker and bum boy.

So.... we trade a monarch who has no power but we pay for.... fo a trump we pay for but has huge power.... we also cary on paying for the upkeep of historical buildings etc... etc.

We also get the British people to decide who should have that power..... the same people who gave us Boris, Diane and brexit.

Now that is scary.

I can’t believe the USA have bigger tourist income than us.Who’d have thought it?The most visited city in Europe is?One of the main reasons is?

I can’t believe the USA have bigger tourist income than us.Who’d have thought it?The most visited city in Europe is?One of the main reasons is?
You might know your station in life and be glad of it but I don't, you're a victim of class conditioning and I feel sorry for you.

If you honestly think tourism to Britain would significantly decline if we were rid of the royals you are utterly deluded. BTW France is the European country that attracts most tourists and London is always going to be popular as with any major city. Also, what an abysmal reason to maintain a system of hereditary privilege that reinforces a rigid class system!

How on earth anyone who not only doesn't benefit from having a monarchy but is actually considered a pleb subject within it's hierarchy can support such a system is beyond me. Think about it, you'd have to be mental to want to be a lesser person in society than someone else purely by accident of birth. These people are put in a pedestal by our sycophantic media wheras in reality they're like characters in a soap opera; Phil the Greek supports the WWF having spent many a trip blasting endangered species from the face of the earth, Andrew is a playboy and paedophile funded by the British state and Charlie is as thick as a plank and arrogant with it and if he were born into an ordinary family would be in a menial job requiring little ability.

People from wealthy backgrounds will always enjoy privilege, relative to those unfortunate enough to be born in places like Chad or Laos anyone born in Europe enjoys it, but to add political and societal status to that, protected by the constitution of the state, is gross inequality and injustice.

I honestly think the imperialist, monarchist, class conditioned influence on British society has had a great deal to do with why the leave vote gained the slight majority it did in the referendum. The majority of those voting leave certainly didn't consider the consequences from a logical or factual perspective and the posts throughout this thread demonstrate that.

You might know your station in life and be glad of it but I don't, you're a victim of class conditioning and I feel sorry for you.

If you honestly think tourism to Britain would significantly decline if we were rid of the royals you are utterly deluded. BTW France is the European country that attracts most tourists and London is always going to be popular as with any major city. Also, what an abysmal reason to maintain a system of hereditary privilege that reinforces a rigid class system!

How on earth anyone who not only doesn't benefit from having a monarchy but is actually considered a pleb subject within it's hierarchy can support such a system is beyond me. Think about it, you'd have to be mental to want to be a lesser person in society than someone else purely by accident of birth. These people are put in a pedestal by our sycophantic media wheras in reality they're like characters in a soap opera; Phil the Greek supports the WWF having spent many a trip blasting endangered species from the face of the earth, Andrew is a playboy and paedophile funded by the British state and Charlie is as thick as a plank and arrogant with it and if he were born into an ordinary family would be in a menial job requiring little ability.

People from wealthy backgrounds will always enjoy privilege, relative to those unfortunate enough to be born in places like Chad or Laos anyone born in Europe enjoys it, but to add political and societal status to that, protected by the constitution of the state, is gross inequality and injustice.

I honestly think the imperialist, monarchist, class conditioned influence on British society has had a great deal to do with why the leave vote gained the slight majority it did in the referendum. The majority of those voting leave certainly didn't consider the consequences from a logical or factual perspective and the posts throughout this thread demonstrate that.

So ,let me get this right.Some of the thick Brexiters voted to leave because of the Monarchy.There’s me thinking they’ll still be living here when we LEAVE.You have become such a barrel scraper have you considered changing tack?How about Brewery for instance?Or are you quite happy with your business,forcing up house prices ,out of the reach of the less well off and vulnerable in our society?

The only way to create an equal society is to bring everyone in line with the lowest common denominator....

You don't like the rich and privileged but it's comparative... to the genuinely poor the UK working class is rich... and privileged.

If you start from the position that everyone is equal you start to fail because everyone isn't equal, simply because everyone isn't the same.

If we ban inherited wealth do we set a cap?... is that equal?... or do we ban it all?

The monarch in the UK has no real power... but we swap that for a trump? Putin? Mao? The power lies with the elected and therefore the electorate... isn't that what you are advocating? Or do we just swap the figurehead for some super rich ass who can buy his way in?

So ,let me get this right.Some of the thick Brexiters voted to leave because of the Monarchy.There’s me thinking they’ll still be living here when we LEAVE.You have become such a barrel scraper have you considered changing tack?How about Brewery for instance?Or are you quite happy with your business,forcing up house prices ,out of the reach of the less well off and vulnerable in our society?
As usual you've got it wrong because as usual you choose to interpret what's written in a way that you want it to read.

I didn't say many people voted leave because of the monarchy, I said the conditioned thinking they're influenced by as a result of monarchistic, imperialist influences was a factor in their choice. There's an underlying superiority complex amongst many English / British people whereby they see themselves and us as a nation as superior to other nations. This, I believe, had an impact on the vote to leave the EU and is to the great detriment of the nation. There's a great jealousy of, for example, the Germans in this country which is ironic as our royals are German but rather than promote anti-German sentiment our press and politicians should be looking at why they're more successful than us and what we need to do to catch up with them. Instead all we get is jingoism about two wars we fought them in, both of which we'd have lost if we hadn't had such strong allies. Another irony of that is by defeating Germany in WW1 we contributed to the demise of their monarchy and dismantling of their traditional class system.

Britain will continue to decline outside the EU, it's been in decline since the 1870's in the view of many historians and economists and we won't reverse that trend by retreating into our island and maintaining a system of thinking steeped in feudal monarchism.

I know my place in life most of the time... because I decide where it is... I don't consider myself to be any class.

I can't be working class because I don't work... I can't be middle class because I don't look up to or down on anyone... I can't be upper class because I don't look down on anyone... I just see people with attitudes , some of which I like or don't like, there status,wealth,position,worth(?) Is immaterial.

Archived