onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

What are those expenses for and how would they compare to UK MP's expenses? Ever considered check and balance when forming an opinion? As always, two wrongs don't make a right so what's your thoughts on Jacob Rees-Mogg claiming £7m from the UK taxpayer for renovation works on his family pile? I'm not justifying EU expenses and I think publically funded expenses should be transparent but these are issues that could be levelled at virtually every government organisation in the world and certainly in the UK. Even after the post-scandal changes what our MP's are allowed to claim is questionable.

This is not a good enough reason to leave the EU it's something member states' governments should tackle but they haven't, including ours. I wonder why? Maybe you should ask Nigel Farage and the other anti-EU MEP's who milked the expenses without objection for years.

That's the big question,what are those expenses used on if they aren't transparent.At least our MP's have to show receipts for theirs.

What have the EU MEP's got to hide and where does all that money go.

Doesn't add up and shows what the corrupt EU is all about,the same goes for their accounts.

Advert

That's the big question,what are those expenses used on if they aren't transparent.At least our MP's have to show receipts for theirs.

Doesn't add up and shows what the corrupt EU is all about,the same goes for their accounts.

For once I can acknowledge you have a valid point but I don't accept the EU is any more, if as, corrupt as the UK or many other political entities. Greater accountability would be welcome across the globe. MEP's expenses system is certainly not a good enough reason to economically cripple ourselves and reduce our international influence.

For once I can acknowledge you have a valid point but I don't accept the EU is any more, if as, corrupt as the UK or many other political entities. Greater accountability would be welcome across the globe. MEP's expenses system is certainly not a good enough reason to economically cripple ourselves and reduce our international influence.

I agree it shouldn't be used in a singular context to leave, but the accumulating discrepancies/problems are weighty... even so I still think there are more compelling reasons to stay than leave.

It may not be about the corruption... more the perception of corruption... and the desire to know the megs on the ducks ass
Perception is often more important than reality in politics, unfortunately. The Brexit debacle is a shining example of it, a poignant reminder that many people believe what they want to believe even in the face of evidence to the contrary.

This is showing your prejudice against the EU mate. MPs in the UK didn't want to disclose their expenses in the UK until not all that long ago really. Think it was 2009. Someone had their moat cleaned didn't they?

You've got no problems with super wealthy people of Britain such as Rees-mogg's wife receiving £7m of tax payers money (him and his wife's net value is £100m - very fair of him on the rest of us peasants) to do up Wentworth House. (as a good example). If you don't moan about this, but moan about MEP's (who, operating across Europe and hiring assistance etc will naturally incur higher costs than a domestic MP) for not disclosing where the money is spent it does kind of sum up the fact no matter what you'll always see the EU as something terrible even though the same things happen here. A few months ago the parliamentary watchdogs revealed they had written off £35,000 of debt owed by MPs to the taxpayers. Our own MP's are spending more on expenses now than before the 2009 scandal. I've had a quick look (you should really look into things about Britain, no matter how blindly patriotic you may be) and our MPs claimed £105m in 2015...... So who's worse? 751 MPs spending €40m or 650 MPs spending £105m (2015) of our tax money?

How much does our unelected royal family blow and do we know exactly what that's been spent on? No.

As much as I agree with you it should be disclosed, the reality is this is as good as you can give in regards to why we should be anti-EU... Its a weak point of interest in the grand scheme of things.

At least our MP's have to show receipts for theirs.

Anyone who claims expenses in any capacity needs to show receipts, otherwise how can they receive the expense back? They don't get given 4,400 Euro to just go out and blow as they please.

They are deciding not to disclose these receipts to journalists.

Anyone who claims expenses in any capacity needs to show receipts, otherwise how can they receive the expense back? They don't get given 4,400 Euro to just go out and blow as they please.

Whilst I share your point of view you can't defend the indefensible as in elected public officials should be transparent in how they spend tax payers money. That applies everywhere, UK, EU, any elected body.

As you say though, nowhere near a big enough issue to offset the benefits of EU membership.

Whilst I share your point of view you can't defend the indefensible as in elected public officials should be transparent in how they spend tax payers money. That applies everywhere, UK, EU, any elected body.

As you say though, nowhere near a big enough issue to offset the benefits of EU membership.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/mps-just-voted-keep-corruption-12947548

https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/houses/commons/news/97155/commons-watchdog-blasts-move-mps-make-westminster-misconduct

It's hardly as though we are transparent ourselves, even though we view ourselves as if we are.

Did MP's have their expenses made transparent the first time of asking in the UK? We'll find out soon enough, now the ball is rolling. Be interesting to see how many others have had their Moat's cleaned with our money in Europe :laugh:

(I say our money, but it's really not. It's all of our collective taxes across Europe)

This is showing your prejudice against the EU mate. MPs in the UK didn't want to disclose their expenses in the UK until not all that long ago really. Think it was 2009. Someone had their moat cleaned didn't they?

You've got no problems with super wealthy people of Britain such as Rees-mogg's wife receiving £7m of tax payers money (him and his wife's net value is £100m - very fair of him on the rest of us peasants) to do up Wentworth House. (as a good example). If you don't moan about this, but moan about MEP's (who, operating across Europe and hiring assistance etc will naturally incur higher costs than a domestic MP) for not disclosing where the money is spent it does kind of sum up the fact no matter what you'll always see the EU as something terrible even though the same things happen here. A few months ago the parliamentary watchdogs revealed they had written off £35,000 of debt owed by MPs to the taxpayers. Our own MP's are spending more on expenses now than before the 2009 scandal. I've had a quick look (you should really look into things about Britain, no matter how blindly patriotic you may be) and our MPs claimed £105m in 2015...... So who's worse? 751 MPs spending €40m or 650 MPs spending £105m (2015) of our tax money?

How much does our unelected royal family blow and do we know exactly what that's been spent on? No.

As much as I agree with you it should be disclosed, the reality is this is as good as you can give in regards to why we should be anti-EU... Its a weak point of interest in the grand scheme of things.

ive never concerned myself with those who are wealthy or those who are bone idle those who moan about other people and what they've got but haven't the balls to go out and earn a crust or three but those with wealth in telephone numbers do raise an eyebrow sometimes as to what they do with all that brass, brass and class don't arrive together as a package same as the dream of utopia and equality is just that as there are some who will always be more equal than others.:shutup::wink:

You really should stop reading all this fake news on Facebook about JRM.I know Remainers are scared to death of him but come on,do a bit of research instead of believing all that crap on FB.

Jacob's mother-in-law's father owned Wentworth Woodhouse until 1948 when he died.

As Jacob said "It has never belonged to my mother-in-law and is now in the ownership of a charity that is seeking to save it for the nation.

That's exactly what they do.I know it's hard to believe but they all get €4,400 expenses straight into their bank accounts every month with no questions asked.That's on top of their salary of €6,250 per month after tax.

Look it up.

ive never concerned myself with those who are wealthy or those who are bone idle those who moan about other people and what they've got but haven't the balls to go out and earn a crust or three but those with wealth in telephone numbers do raise an eyebrow sometimes as to what they do with all that brass, brass and class don't arrive together as a package same as the dream of utopia and equality is just that as there are some who will always be more equal than others.:shutup::wink:

I might be half cut still but that's the best post you've made!!! 👍

You really should stop reading all this fake news on Facebook about JRM.I know Remainers are scared to death of him but come on,do a bit of research instead of believing all that crap on FB.

Jacob's mother-in-law's father owned Wentworth Woodhouse until 1948 when he died.

As Jacob said "It has never belonged to my mother-in-law and is now in the ownership of a charity that is seeking to save it for the nation.

Don't use Facebook or ANY social media.

How can you possibly think this bloke is good for the people of Britain?

Archived