onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Brexit again...

Davebrad

Nor can you.

The Daily Mail has excellent sports coverage. Much of its news coverage is, however, an absolute disgrace. Their pages are littered with ad hominem attacks againt anyone who dares to voice an opinion contrary to that of Mr Dacre and his cohorts. It demonstrates some of the very worst of tabloid journalism.

Just had a look thru yesterdays DM.

22 pages of general news, (rate relief, smoothie dangers, Posh Becks,hosepipe ban etc)

10 pages on World Cup

4 Brexit

2 Britains most wanted criminal

3 The dangers of cousins marrying

2 Trumps visit

2 Love Island

2 Suspended Labour MP who used sexist & homopgonis comments

2 Londons drug gangs

2 Childrens gender

2 Savagery of IS

2 Disneyland

2 Madonnas liking for young guys

5 Gossip

4 City news

20 General Sport

The rest is ads.

Where exactly are these ad hominem attacks you refer to?

Or is it you just don't like a paper that supports Brexit?

Advert

Thanks to not being in the Schengen area we have always had control of our borders to those outside of the EU. This is why we had the "jungle" camp at Calais - refugees who had made their way to the EU and had crossed its internal borders without problems, could not get to the UK. Those who voted to leave the EU "to keep the Muslims out", did not seem to understand this.

The EU put pressure on us to allow x amount of so called refugees in to help ease the burden on other EU countries plus once a none EU person has gained citizenship to an EU country they can freely move and live in the U.K. so being out of the EU does help to control immigration from none EU countries but I do agree with you that it isn’t going to make a drastic difference. We need to be stricter and leave the Human rights act if we really want to take control of our borders.

[/u][/i]

Just had a look thru yesterdays DM.

22 pages of general news, (rate relief, smoothie dangers, Posh Becks,hosepipe ban etc)

10 pages on World Cup

4 Brexit

2 Britains most wanted criminal

3 The dangers of cousins marrying

2 Trumps visit

2 Love Island

2 Suspended Labour MP who used sexist & homopgonis comments

2 Londons drug gangs

2 Childrens gender

2 Savagery of IS

2 Disneyland

2 Madonnas liking for young guys

5 Gossip

4 City news

20 General Sport

The rest is ads.

Where exactly are these ad hominem attacks you refer to?

Or is it you just don't like a paper that supports Brexit?

So you didn't read Quentin Letts attack on Sadiq Khan- "did ever a more lightweight, plasticky figure dawdle towards the top of British politics?" Similar comments about Khan in the editorial where he was referred to as "pathetic" and "jumped up".

Or how about the response to the three judges who ruled that the government couldn't use the Royal prerogative to trigger Article 50 and needed the consent of Parliament - "Enemies of the people" - which was accompanied by personal attacks on the judges? That article was referred to the Press Standards Organisation because of the number of complaints received.

So you didn't read Quentin Letts attack on Sadiq Khan- "did ever a more lightweight, plasticky figure dawdle towards the top of British politics?" Similar comments about Khan in the editorial where he was referred to as "pathetic" and "jumped up".

Or how about the response to the three judges who ruled that the government couldn't use the Royal prerogative to trigger Article 50 and needed the consent of Parliament - "Enemies of the people" - which was accompanied by personal attacks on the judges? That article was referred to the Press Standards Organisation because of the number of complaints received.

Yes, I read about the Lord Mayor of London and I completely agree with the article. For him to agree for a giant satirical balloon of Trump to be flown over the Houses of Parliament is an insult and stupid. How dare he reduce the Houses of Parliament to a fun fair. Don't forget Kahan is a trained solicitor, yet fiddled his MP expences over the years on a number of accassions. With knife crime and muggings at an all time high in London he's got other things to occupy himself with.

As for the other article, no I haven't read it but I haven't voted for any judges, but I have voted for my MP.

philpvfc ref your post #1668;

You advocate our abandoning the Human Rights Act. Have you considered the implications of that? It's the sort of action taken by despotic and totalitarian regimes, human rights under the law apply to you in the same way as everyone else. One day you might need that protection.

Ofcourse. We would go back to the dark ages!

There are many countries not signed up to it who lead a very open and fair judicial system. Wether you agree on being signed up to it or not is up for debate but by being a member to it we will always take on board many immigrants who otherwise we would choose not to be living in this country.

Ofcourse. We would go back to the dark ages!

There are many countries not signed up to it who lead a very open and fair judicial system. Wether you agree on being signed up to it or not is up for debate but by being a member to it we will always take on board many immigrants who otherwise we would choose not to be living in this country.

Hmmmm, I accept the act (which is in UK law) is open to questionable use on occasion but I would think the number of immigrants who would otherwise be deported is pretty insignificant. I don't have any figures on that though.

Either way, the Human Rights Act is something we have legislated for and which interpretation is evolved through the courts in the normal manner for English law via precedents and rulings, it is not something we could, or would want to, easily abandon on renouncing membership of the EU.

Yes, I read about the Lord Mayor of London and I completely agree with the article. For him to agree for a giant satirical balloon of Trump to be flown over the Houses of Parliament is an insult and stupid. How dare he reduce the Houses of Parliament to a fun fair. Don't forget Kahan is a trained solicitor, yet fiddled his MP expences over the years on a number of accassions. With knife crime and muggings at an all time high in London he's got other things to occupy himself with.

So the Mail thinks the balloon should not be flown. Fine, give a reason why they think that protest of this nature should not be allowed. But do so with logical argument, not personal abuse of the London Mayor.

As for the other article, no I haven't read it but I haven't voted for any judges, but I have voted for my MP.

I'm surprised you haven't read it as the quote I put above was a banner headline on the front page. You say you have voted for your MP - that's exactly the point that the judges were making - it should be the MPs who make the decision on triggering Article 50, not a government using royal prerogative. I'm delighted you agree with their judgment and not the abuse directed towards them by the Mail.

Whilst I don't condone dodgy expense claims by those in public office I think we need a little perspective here; Khan has twice repaid wrongly claimed expenses, firstly around £500 for leaflets distributed that had a Labour rose 'too prominently displayed' (whatever that means) and secondly around £2500 for stationery and postage for greetings cards sent to constituents at Eid and Christmas because those expenses can only be claimed for parliamentary business and greetings cards don't count. None of these offences are either large or blatantly for self gain unlike, for example, Sir Peter Viggars infamous £1600 for his duck house or Douglas Hogg and his £2200 for cleaning the moat around his country pile.

Let's be honest, like virtually all Heil readers you don't like Khan because he's brown and thus 'not English', he's Muslim and thus a terrorist sympathiser and he's to the left of centre and thus wants to confiscate all private property and force everyone to live in gulag-like concrete tower blocks (not like we do that already in our major cities).

I don’t think we will unsubscribe but my point was that if we really want to take control of our borders this would be more significant than leaving the EU.
I see your point but I'm not sure it would achieve what you expect it to.

Europe needs to control its borders collectively and a common policy is needed whether we're in the EU or not. It's the biggest issue currently facing the Union, including Brexit.

I see your point but I'm not sure it would achieve what you expect it to.

Europe needs to control its borders collectively and a common policy is needed whether we're in the EU or not. It's the biggest issue currently facing the Union, including Brexit.

Well,you are spot on with that and the main reason why many people voted for Brexit.

Well,you are spot on with that and the main reason why many people voted for Brexit.
But Brexit won't resolve that issue and will (for reasons, see numerous previous posts) seriously damage our economy. As I've posted a few times no UK government of the past 70 years has done anything to control mass immigration from outside the EU yet that has always been within their power.

Archived