onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Disgrace to the City.

JohnJames

Advert

To be fair, most of the bigger cities I've been to in Europe have beggars in the streets and litter. Also, we were nearly robbed in Rome and also in Granada. There are areas of our country that are dodgy but we are not alone in that.

Naples is good for near death experiences.

Payable 50p per week.Lets hope she doesn’t need an ambulance anytime soon.

Therein lies the issue with fining people like the delightful Kirsty, she is benefit dependent and will have little spare cash after living expenses and as such the 'system' allows the fines to be paid at a tiny rate which effectively makes the punishment hardly worthwhile. Personally I think the sentence handed out is proportionate to the offence but - and it's a big but - the rate at which payment is likely to be made, if it's ever made at all as most fines go unpaid, means it has little or no effect. There needs to be some sentence applied that causes discomfort to the offender, for example, this particular young woman seems to like selfies, so, how much per month does she spend on her phone, a luxury item? That is the rate per month at which she should pay the fine, ie, deprive her of a luxury for a while. Alternatively she could, as suggested, help out at the hospital cleaning ambulances or something for a while. No doubt she'll have a million reasons why she can't but excuses have to be knocked out of the way. I like to consider myself a fair and liberal minded person but I've thought for years we, as a society, are far too easy going on people who are just nasty, selfish, anti-social takers and the laws on these types of offences need enforcing with proper consequences for behaving in such a manner, not overly punitive retribution but something that makes them think twice before doing these things again.

Therein lies the issue with fining people like the delightful Kirsty, she is benefit dependent and will have little spare cash after living expenses and as such the 'system' allows the fines to be paid at a tiny rate which effectively makes the punishment hardly worthwhile. Personally I think the sentence handed out is proportionate to the offence but - and it's a big but - the rate at which payment is likely to be made, if it's ever made at all as most fines go unpaid, means it has little or no effect. There needs to be some sentence applied that causes discomfort to the offender, for example, this particular young woman seems to like selfies, so, how much per month does she spend on her phone, a luxury item? That is the rate per month at which she should pay the fine, ie, deprive her of a luxury for a while. Alternatively she could, as suggested, help out at the hospital cleaning ambulances or something for a while. No doubt she'll have a million reasons why she can't but excuses have to be knocked out of the way. I like to consider myself a fair and liberal minded person but I've thought for years we, as a society, are far too easy going on people who are just nasty, selfish, anti-social takers and the laws on these types of offences need enforcing with proper consequences for behaving in such a manner, not overly punitive retribution but something that makes them think twice before doing these things again.

I think the publicity and subsequent outcry will have far more of an effect on this woman than any amount of fine. She's currently, probably, one of the most vilified young women in the country so I don't think we really need to confiscate her phone to make her think twice.

I think the publicity and subsequent outcry will have far more of an effect on this woman than any amount of fine. She's currently, probably, one of the most vilified young women in the country so I don't think we really need to confiscate her phone to make her think twice.

I was using the phone as an example of something she would likely miss and therefore feel some consequence, as I said there are alternatives. I don't feel vilification is punishment enough, that in itself is a further consequence of being an unpleasant person, something which she appears to be ok with given her behaviour as related by neighbours and the fact she already has a restraining order. It's not often I disagree with your posts Mr. Hobblesworth but I'm afraid I think some in our society need to feel some real discomfort as a consequence of their poor behaviour and I know of many examples where the law is applied as a token gesture and no real consequence is felt by offenders, the negligible rate of payments of fines and often the non-payment at all being a case in point. I think the punishment should fit the offender, no point in fining someone with no money the sentence should be related to something they would be uncomfortable with.

Now stop her benefits.

You can't do that... she's probably from a broken home, father didn't like her, mother didn't like her or the father, no friends, school didn't help her only expelled her, social worker threw her case out, she can't get on kyle's show her stories too bad for him...

Archived