onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Aspin In

philmpv

An increasing number of people on here seem to be calling for aspins head. Quite frankly, I think this is ridiculous.

He inherited a squad that is clearly terrible and unbalanced. From 5 points after 11 games, he's taken us to 34. Most agreed that if he could avoid relegation with this squad it would be a miracle. Despite the doom mongers still predicting this, I honestly don't think it will happen. There are worse clubs than us in this league, thankfully, and we will scrape through.

Aspin has come in for criticism for his recruitment/actions in January. From what has happened I think that aspin took the view that he did not want, unless absolutely necessary, to tie up next year's budget in making panic permanent signings, given that most permanent signings in January would likely have been players that:

1. Other clubs didn't want;

2. Wanted at least an 18 month contract; and/or

3. Wanted too much money for their ability knowing we were struggling.

The above may explain the gunning situation, and I can't say that I blame him for doing this. He obviously wants pretty much a completely clean slate for July to get his own team in and I suspect that most of the current players will be gone at the end of the season including some of those under contract for next season.

As for the failure to sign a keeper in January, I'm sure he would have loved nothing more. However, signing a decent keeper in January is nigh on impossible, as most clubs will not want to let any experienced keepers go, given the potential for injuries in the second half of the season. Again, I don't blame him for not recruiting one in January.

Current form is not good. We would all agree that. Is that aspins fault? He must, as the manager, bear some responsibility, and I'm sure he accepts that, but what on earth can he do to prevent:

1. Players not sticking with their designated man, leaving them completely free in the penalty area?

2. Our gks making horrendous errors of judgment that you wouldn't see most weeks in the Sunday pub league?

3. Professional players not being able to pass a ball to a teammate over 5 yards, nor being able to clear the first man on most set pieces that we take?

The common denominator this season has been the players. They have to bear the lions share of the responsibility. Unfortunately, many seem unwilling to do so, instead preferring to blame the pitch or, in the case of our outfield players, the gk. They seem to think that they can shirk themselves of responsibility by simply hoofing the ball up to Tom as soon as they get it. I can't accept that that is aspins instructions.

Can anyone name a side that has ever been successful in the long term by changing their manager every year? Success is born of stability and long term thinking. Given time, I've no doubt whatsoever that aspin and Jr will change the fortunes of this club for the better. You may criticise our chairman, but how is changing the manager every 12 months going to help? If he doesn't get the backing from norman, I have little doubt that he will either walk of his own volition, or come out and say that (he has been refreshingly honest since being appointed).

He has been criticised for persisting with 1 up top most of the time, but who can blame him with our centre midfield and insistence from the players in simply hoofing it? If we play 2 up top, our midfield and defence is completely exposed. I believe that Angus represents how he will set out his side next season when he has the players, with pacy wide men getting in behind. We simply don't have the players to do that this season.

If, come November next season, our squad is no better and in a similar position to this season then, quite rightly, serious questions will be asked, particularly if he has been backed appropriately. Until then, please give the man a chance. He is not infallible by any means, and will have learnt a lot this season (not least from the regis situation), but nobody else would have done an appreciably better job with the hand that he was dealt.

Back the manager. He will be hurting as much as any of us, given his love for the club. Until he has had a proper opportunity to address the issues in the squad, on his terms, it's completely wrong to judge him as some have done.

Utv.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Advert

My opinion is that you can’t blame Aspin for the fact that players don’t want to come here because Norman has tarnished our reputation as a club.

The only fault I can pick at Aspin for is that he doesn’t seem to have the passion that I thought he would have for this job. He seems very downbeat when giving interviews and isn’t as animated on the touchline as I thought he would be. I want to hear him be pissed off when we lose and delighted when we win; he always just seems the same either way..

I’m not sure if that’s just me or whether Norman has pissed him off so much that he’s lost any passion he had for the Vale.

I do have faith that he could build a decent squad if given the right budget and some time to offload some of the total garbage that we have but if I’m honest, I can’t see that happening and my opinion is that if he doesn’t get a decent budget then he will stand down in the summer. I wouldn’t really blame him if he did, either..

When Aspo arrived the almost unanimous opinion amongst fans was if he got us to third from bottom at the end of the season that would be success and a huge achievement. People who are now calling for his removal are like those who voted for Brexit and were ringing in to the radio the day after the referendum wanting to know why the borders hadn't been closed and why an extra £350m a week hadn't been instantly allocated to the NHS.

The OP is excellent and promotes rationale over unthinking emotional reaction.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

My opinion is that you can’t blame Aspin for the fact that players don’t want to come here because Norman has tarnished our reputation as a club.

The only fault I can pick at Aspin for is that he doesn’t seem to have the passion that I thought he would have for this job. He seems very downbeat when giving interviews and isn’t as animated on the touchline as I thought he would be. I want to hear him be pissed off when we lose and delighted when we win; he always just seems the same either way..

I’m not sure if that’s just me or whether Norman has pissed him off so much that he’s lost any passion he had for the Vale.

I do have faith that he could build a decent squad if given the right budget and some time to offload some of the total garbage that we have but if I’m honest, I can’t see that happening and my opinion is that if he doesn’t get a decent budget then he will stand down in the summer. I wouldn’t really blame him if he did, either..

The passion is there, but what do you expect after disappointing mistakes that are proving costly. He is saving his delight for when we are safe, which was why he came.

In Aspin I Trust

He cares for the club , he values the club ,he puts the club / job first -

This is obviously not just the criteria cause we would all tick that box, but Neil got the team organised when he first came in and got better results than M brown highlighted by December results only for him to have the rug pulled from under him.

Personally I think until he can get his own team together and a pre-season with a good high budget where he can sign who he wants for the wage no one can judge him or want him out..

Thank you Neil keep up the good work we know the Job is harder with the preverbal monkey on your back..

Next home game lets sing his name give him a boost and do all we can to take the pressure off him whilst putting pressure on the real problem

What has changed since December?

Made a considerable profit on a sell on clause

Lost two players in the window

Brought in 8 players from non league and beyond - resulting in a lower weekly wage total than before the window.

Aspin needs to take some blame for the dip in form, just like Brown needs to take blame for assembling a bad squad and playing dreadful football.

I think we all know the issue here, you can't polish a turd every single week.

Archived