onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Keele Golf Course (Housing plans)

SuperValiant1876

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/news/stoke-on-trent-news/bunkered-plans-1800-homes-puts-1181590

Does anyone on here use this driving range? Surely the council shouldn't be able to knock down a successful business to make way for 1800 houses that will jam up the local roads and stretch infrastructure? Isnt there plenty of other brownbelt sites to build on without destroying an old golf course and a driving range. What sort of impact do action groups have on these sort of decisions at the council? Is it worth kicking off or do we just give up?

Advert

It’s not the driving range it’s the disused

golf course. There’s pink development signs gone up all over Apedale as they want to designate the land between the Apedale country park and Loomer Rd as development land as well as some in Chesterton.

You can write and object.

It’s not the driving range it’s the disused

golf course. There’s pink development signs gone up all over Apedale as they want to designate the land between the Apedale country park and Loomer Rd as development land as well as some in Chesterton.

You can write and object.

It is the driving range too, I have seen the plans. I am in the picture that's in the article.. The council have gone from giving a 30 year lease to offering a 5 year lease at which they can evict as they please. The roads around Keele and Silverdale cannot support another 3000(ish) cars, its gridlock at 5pm as it is now!

Yep, it is the range as well.

I’m use it all the time. In fact I had a lesson there today.

It’s a great facility, run by 1st class people. I believe it is the only range in the area (unless people can tell me another one?!). They can’t be allowed to destroy it, surely? It’s bad enough the course has gone.

Yep, it is the range as well.

I’m use it all the time. In fact I had a lesson there today.

It’s a great facility, run by 1st class people. I believe it is the only range in the area (unless people can tell me another one?!). They can’t be allowed to destroy it, surely? It’s bad enough the course has gone.

You will know who I am then George ;) There are a couple of other ranges nearby but none to the high standard of Keele and none in Newcastle under Lyme.

You will know who I am then George ;) There are a couple of other ranges nearby but none to the high standard of Keele and none in Newcastle under Lyme.

I’m sure I must have spoken to you then. My lesson was at 3.30 today with Sarah (although my name isn’t actually George!!)

Keep up the good work.

Ps..are you the fella in the blue top in the picture?

the two driving ranges in our town closed down recently, so frustrating, the nearest one is now ca 10 miles away. It’s claimed fewer people are playing golf in the USA with a reputed one course a week closing although people through the door doesn’t appear the problem at Keele.

A friend of mine tried in vain to buy one of them to give himself something to do in retirement but the land went to a bleeedin’ carmaxx.

This report describes the driving range as a “successful” business, but with the figures quoted that equates to less than 40 people a day using this facility. I’m no golfer, but these numbers don’t seem great to be.

I’m all for as many leisure facilities as possible, but presumably the driving range only opened up with council backing because the golf course itself. If the course hadn’t have been there, as is the case now, would the range have been allowed, or even viable, in the first place ?

One thing for sure is that the old course complex has become a derelict eyesore and the council needs to address the situation. Whether housing is the answer or not I’m not sure, but I do agree that the loss of another sporting facility in the borough would be a pity. But, unfortunately, the tail cannot be allowed to wag the dog.

This report describes the driving range as a “successful” business, but with the figures quoted that equates to less than 40 people a day using this facility. I’m no golfer, but these numbers don’t seem great to be.

I’m all for as many leisure facilities as possible, but presumably the driving range only opened up with council backing because the golf course itself. If the course hadn’t have been there, as is the case now, would the range have been allowed, or even viable, in the first place ?

One thing for sure is that the old course complex has become a derelict eyesore and the council needs to address the situation. Whether housing is the answer or not I’m not sure, but I do agree that the loss of another sporting facility in the borough would be a pity. But, unfortunately, the tail cannot be allowed to wag the dog.

I have to disagree with you RR and let you know that there are nearly 1m balls hit at Keele every year. We are in the top 25 busiest ranges in the country. We are a successful business in terms of golf ranges with coaching. The driving range was not built with council backing at all, it was built with backing from local business people and the land leased from the council.

The old course may be an eyesore but that is the fault of the council. There was plenty of footfall but the council allowed Jack Barker to run the place into the ground (along with Goldenhill and other courses around the country) The council are at fault for the closure of the course and now the reasons for that are becoming clearer. (council tax money)

It is also greenbelt land and should not be released for housing. I appreciate your interest in the subject but lack of knowledge of the situation has probably lead to some of your presumptuous and unhelpful comments.

I have to disagree with you RR and let you know that there are nearly 1m balls hit at Keele every year. We are in the top 25 busiest ranges in the country. We are a successful business in terms of golf ranges with coaching. The driving range was not built with council backing at all, it was built with backing from local business people and the land leased from the council.

The old course may be an eyesore but that is the fault of the council. There was plenty of footfall but the council allowed Jack Barker to run the place into the ground (along with Goldenhill and other courses around the country) The council are at fault for the closure of the course and now the reasons for that are becoming clearer. (council tax money)

It is also greenbelt land and should not be released for housing. I appreciate your interest in the subject but lack of knowledge of the situation has probably lead to some of your presumptuous and unhelpful comments.

I hear your comments and thank you for your input. As I said I am not a golfer and merely look at the situation as an ill informed outsider, like the vast majority of readers to this forum would be. It’s good to be informed on a subject that otherwise would just pass without a second thought.

For half the week I work out of the University and have seen the rapid decline of the site. I wholeheartedly agree with your comments about green belt land and for me personally that would be the biggest issue.

However, good luck with your efforts and I hope the outcome will be more fruitful than I expect. Again, good luck.

I used to enjoy playing at Keele which was a decent municipal course. Its a shame courses like this couldn't be given more public money like local parks are given etc. Private golf clubs can be expensive for membership and sometimes joining fees. Local municipal courses have closed all over the country probably due to goverment cutbacks to local authorities.

Archived