onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Damning indictment of crewe alexandra/Bennell/Hard to Believe

darren1810

I don't know any of the details, but I'm in no way surprised that we were after him as Coach. Crewe fans on twitter are trying to sling mud our way as a result of this...why I've no idea. At that time, he was the best youth coach around and regularly produced top quality youth players. When Crewe were providing glowing references to the likes of Dominoes, and no doubt Stoke, I'm sure Vale would have had no reasons not to go after him.

Interesting about the reference to Ferguson removing him from their ground. Given the links between Rudge and Fergie, I wonder whether that had any influence on Vale not going ahead with his appointment.

I was told last year that in Billy Bell's time a bloke whose name I've forgotten, wanted to invest in the Vale and bring Bennell with him as a coach. There were those at the club who, knowing Bennell's reputation, strongly advised against this so it didn't happen.

Advert

I was told last year that in Billy Bell's time a bloke whose name I've forgotten, wanted to invest in the Vale and bring Bennell with him as a coach. There were those at the club who, knowing Bennell's reputation, strongly advised against this so it didn't happen.

Circa 1994 - would it have been David Bundy?

I saw the Dispatches programme last night and it was pretty shocking to hear how those poor lads were abused and see the long term effects it has had on them in their adult and family life. I thought it was a tough watch and the bit that stuck with me was the player whose father was on his death bed and he was still apologising to his son for leaving him with that monster. Absolutely heartbreaking.

Crewe did not come out of it looking good at all. From their point of view it was a complete systemic failure to provide the required protection for the children in their care. I'm sure the victims will have every right to claim compensation for that failure.

I’ve just read that Dario gave a glowing reference on Crewe Alex headed paper to the court in America who first convicted Bennell of child abuse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I got to know Dario fairly well through my work over the last couple of years (not seen him for a few months) and he told me the only thing he was guilty of was knowing about accusations and not saying anything although he says it was a different way of thinking back then...he also said the FA suspended him as they have had it in for him since he turned down the England youth (or u18) job in the early 90s.

Still a ******* wrong un in my eyes.

I got to know Dario fairly well through my work over the last couple of years (not seen him for a few months) and he told me the only thing he was guilty of was knowing about accusations and not saying anything although he says it was a different way of thinking back then...he also said the FA suspended him as they have had it in for him since he turned down the England youth (or u18) job in the early 90s.

Having so many kids in your care, hearing accusations, and not doing anything, is absolutely disgusting.

I don't dispute what you say as if you go on Gradi's wiki there's a whole section alleging that he smoothed over assault allegations at Chelsea, as was asked by parents to look into Bennell's behaviour at Crewe.

Regardless of whether it was a 'different time' (a horrendously weak excuse), ignoring kids and parents actively asking for an investigation is indefensible, exacerbated further by his 'glowing' character reference when Bennell was first charged in the States.

Obviously all of this is alleged.

Has he said why he gave Bennell a key to his house?

I fail to see how Crewe as a club survives this.

Their whole identity is their pride in their academy, the game time of young players, all done on a budget.

I can't see many parents wanting to send their child to the Alex Academy again considering what seems to be, at the very least, negligence on the club's part, and at worst, turning a blind eye to this sort of behaviour.

Without their academy, I don't see Crewe with a long-term football league future. This isn't out of local rivalry bitterness (I feel little towards Crewe), more concern over how a club so reliant on their academy will cope with recent developments.

I feel so sorry for the victims and their parents. My father wasn't a figure in the football scene other than ladsandads, so we were none the wiser to his reputation. That was obviously the case for so many people back then. I can't emphasise enough how good he was as a coach, and the skills he had I've never seen rivalled. That along with his CV for bringing through talent made him (for those that didn't know better) the perfect person to coach your kids. I was starstruck around him. Knowing now that so many of us as late as 93, were put in that position where he could take us for nights away, despite the rumours and the crimes going back to the 70s, is infuriating. Like I said before I know the lad who was abused in the US that led to his arrest over there. I still see him around even now. He's remained anonymous throughout this. What must annoy him is that it's taken ex professional players to bring this to the attention of the masses. His crimes have been public knowledge since 1994.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

I’ve just read that Dario gave a glowing reference on Crewe Alex headed paper to the court in America who first convicted Bennell of child abuse.

That, if true, is a damning reflection of Dario. If that ****** knew what he was up to, and allowed others to be put in harms way, he needs locking up too. Disgusting.

The youngsters (now adults) who were abused by him are now aiming to get compensation from the clubs involved. Won't hurt Man City much (nor Stoke if they are further implicated) but could have dire consequences for Crewe

City are as guilty as Stoke and Crewe.They should be all expelled.

That, if true, is a damning reflection of Dario. If that ****** knew what he was up to, and allowed others to be put in harms way, he needs locking up too. Disgusting.

Back page of the times, so a decent source, but some random social media rumour. I presume court documents testify to it.

Archived