onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Damning indictment of crewe alexandra/Bennell/Hard to Believe

darren1810

Advert

I don't know any of the details, but I'm in no way surprised that we were after him as Coach. Crewe fans on twitter are trying to sling mud our way as a result of this...

It's rubbish. If Vale or Crewe had appointed someone who had passed all the checks and had a clear record then that is no slight on the club.

What is extremely concerning is - if you had such a person in your employment and you were warned on multiple occasions (with one apparently being a minuted at board level complaint) and then took no action - then that is despicable. I can't see any excuse or mitigating circumstances for not treating allegations of sexual abuse on children with the utmost seriousness and urgency.

I think football fans do mistake genuine criticism of individuals as an attack on their club. I don't think anyone is criticising Crewe fans or staff who were not aware/not in positions of authority - what we are deeply concerned about is that key individuals at Crewe seemingly swept this under the carpet which on a minor level has damaged the reputation of the club but on a far more serious level has put children's welfare in serious danger.

If Bennell had gone to Vale Park and the Vale hierarchy had done the same I would be as critical of them as I am of the Crewe and Man City hierarchy. But he didn't go to Vale so it's a moot point.

So, rather than talking about theoreticals, if I were a Crewe fan (or indeed anyone who wants children to be not put in danger) I would demanding questions of those involved to explain their (lack of) actions.

dispatches on Ch4 last night interviewed an ex crewe director who claimed officials at the club knew what was going on. Was an excellent prog, maybe it'll be repeated

Maybe the same man who was on today.It was brought up at a board meeting.”If you didn’t know what was going on ,you weren’t at Crewe”.

It's rubbish. If Vale or Crewe had appointed someone who had passed all the checks and had a clear record then that is no slight on the club.

What is extremely concerning is - if you had such a person in your employment and you were warned on multiple occasions (with one apparently being a minuted at board level complaint) and then took no action - then that is despicable. I can't see any excuse or mitigating circumstances for not treating allegations of sexual abuse on children with the utmost seriousness and urgency.

I think football fans do mistake genuine criticism of individuals as an attack on their club. I don't think anyone is criticising Crewe fans or staff who were not aware/not in positions of authority - what we are deeply concerned about is that key individuals at Crewe seemingly swept this under the carpet which on a minor level has damaged the reputation of the club but on a far more serious level has put children's welfare in serious danger.

If Bennell had gone to Vale Park and the Vale hierarchy had done the same I would be as critical of them as I am of the Crewe and Man City hierarchy. But he didn't go to Vale so it's a moot point.

So, rather than talking about theoreticals, if I were a Crewe fan (or indeed anyone who wants children to be not put in danger) I would demanding questions of those involved to explain their (lack of) actions.

Well said Rob :clap:

Bennell was found guilty in the usa of child abuse in 1994, how come it’s taken until 2017/18 for him to be bought to justice in the uk.
It hasn't. He was convicted in 98 on his return to the uk and served another 9 years. These latest convictions have come from additional victims coming forward following Woodwards appearance on TV in 2016. People that had kept it secret for decades for a number of reasons, finally finding the courage to come forward. The scary thing is that the number of victims we know about is tiny compared to the true number he abused.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

It hasn't. He was convicted in 98 on his return to the uk and served another 9 years. These latest convictions have come from additional victims coming forward following Woodwards appearance on TV in 2016. People that had kept it secret for decades for a number of reasons, finally finding the courage to come forward. The scary thing is that the number of victims we know about is tiny compared to the true number he abused.

They are already investigating more cases. They expect the number to at least double I think. This isn’t going away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks fst but still a little perplexing why the additional victims didn’t come forward in 1998 or soon thereafter if only to shine a light on the scale, people and clubs involved so as to warn/provide information to parents considering allowing their kids to attend these academies.

Thanks fst but still a little perplexing why the additional victims didn’t come forward in 1998 or soon thereafter if only to shine a light on the people and clubs involved so as to warn/provide information to parents considering allowing their kids to attend these academies.
I know what you mean, but they have their reasons. There's a guardian article written by Micky Fallon that explains his reasons, and the fact it's something he has to live with. Personally I don't think they should feel guilty, as what they experienced must have been horrific. It's those at Crewe and Man City that knew bit did nothing about it that should share a large portion of guilt.

I think the individuals involved at Crewe should face consequences, but it would be a shame for geniune Crewe fans if it led to serious financial issues for the club itself. It probably would be the club that suffers, and legally they would be liable (if proven they knew, the key there is proof, I think it's inevitable that some people knew).

Archived