onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Damning indictment of crewe alexandra/Bennell/Hard to Believe

darren1810

Which has been refuted tonight on Granada,a special board meeting was called in the late 80's,an employee (Chief exec)was concerned about Bennells behaviour, a QC has said that this meeting would have been minuted and it would make very interesting reading.

Bennell was dismissed in the 90's for footballing reasons.

that statement is on the bbc web page or it was 20 mins ago.

Advert

It was very common knowledge in North Staffs/South Cheshire that these things were going on, or had gone on in the past.

I'm sorry I simply don't believe no-one officially associated with the club knew! They have just buried their heads for decades.

I just can't see any way in which this wouldn't have been rumoured, discussed or whispered about at the club. Its impossible to keep secrets at a football club because everyone gossips and talks. Either they weren't hearing the same rumours people around the area were or they were turning a blind eye because of the damage it would have done or they were just hoping it would go away.

However if there are no official records of any reports or club meetings about it then the club can deny it was ever brought to their attention and they were unaware of what was happening.

Either way Crewe are in the **** here. It doesn't look good on them no matter what. Plus theres the potential implication of their club legend in all this too. I don't believe he knew nothing or heard nothing, considering how close he worked with their academy.

Have any of their pundit ex-players said anything yet on the radio, tv or papers or have they not been allowed to?

I can't imagine how the victims and their families are feeling now, especially the parents as they gave their kids over to the club to look after and trusted them. Disgusting.

I just can't see any way in which this wouldn't have been rumoured, discussed or whispered about at the club. Its impossible to keep secrets at a football club because everyone gossips and talks. Either they weren't hearing the same rumours people around the area were or they were turning a blind eye because of the damage it would have done or they were just hoping it would go away.

However if there are no official records of any reports or club meetings about it then the club can deny it was ever brought to their attention and they were unaware of what was happening.

Either way Crewe are in the **** here. It doesn't look good on them no matter what. Plus theres the potential implication of their club legend in all this too. I don't believe he knew nothing or heard nothing, considering how close he worked with their academy.

Have any of their pundit ex-players said anything yet on the radio, tv or papers or have they not been allowed to?

I can't imagine how the victims and their families are feeling now, especially the parents as they gave their kids over to the club to look after and trusted them. Disgusting.

dispatches on Ch4 last night interviewed an ex crewe director who claimed officials at the club knew what was going on. Was an excellent prog, maybe it'll be repeated

Interesting sentence in this Guardian article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/15/barry-bennell-abuse-manchester-city-crewe

"Bennell had been offered a job as Port Vale’s youth-team coach before his first arrest..."

Looks like Vale were close to being involved if the job offer was in place. I'm certainly glad it never came to be and presumably Vale withdrew the offer and decided not to touch him with a bargepole as soon as the arrest was known about.

I would certainly have hoped if it had appointed him then we would have dealt with the issue responsibly and not tried to brush it under the carpet.

Me and 5 lads from Trubshaw Cross went to Stoke school of excellence in 92. Barry was the head coach of the SOE at the time, and took a number of us to his Stone Dominoes team. I know the lad who told his father about Bennell, after he returned from a trip the states in 94. I'd been dropped by Dominoes at that time. Stoke wanted me to carry on training with them but with Bennell as the coach who'd dropped me at Dominoes, I saw no point in carrying on with them. In 1993 he was still plying the same tricks that are now coming out in all of these reports. In the summer he took us all on a trip (with Dominoes not Stoke) staying over at a hostel in the peak district. We played a few games, every time we wore the Stoke strip of the time. He took us out in the middle of the night, pitch black, and told us all about the witches that lived in houses near to where we were staying. He never did anything to me, but I'll never forget that trip, especially after it all came out about him. I can honestly say I've never seen anyone as good as him at football, he was amazing, so as a kid we were all in complete awe of him. I'll also never forget my Dad sitting me down and asking whether anything had happened to me. As an 11 year old I hadn't got a clue why he was asking me those questions, but now I know how difficult it must have been for him. Years later back playing ladsandads there were coaches that knew I'd been coached by Bennell, that would get into arguments with my Dad (who ran our team) and would call me and the other lads Bennell's b*m boys. It was common knowledge back then.

I'm annoyed that people at Crewe knew what was going on, and put so many more kids in harms way. Dominoes' chairman from the time has come out recently and fully explained their role, their sympathy with victims, and that Crewe gave him a glowing reference. What really annoys me though is that Stoke are getting away from this completely Scott free without any real scrutiny in the media. The Sentinel keep referencing Crewe and Man City. There's brief mention in the national papers that he had links with Stoke (HE RAN THE WHOLE SCHOOL OF EXCELLENCE). Stoke themselves came out in Nov 16 saying that they were aware he did some coaching for them but records don't exist that far back, and no complaints have been received. Absolute joke.

There are a lot of people still trying to cover things up, and denying how involved he was within their club. Gradi and Bowler have a lot to answer, but so do Stoke!!

Interesting sentence in this Guardian article:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/feb/15/barry-bennell-abuse-manchester-city-crewe

"Bennell had been offered a job as Port Vale’s youth-team coach before his first arrest..."

Looks like Vale were close to being involved if the job offer was in place. I'm certainly glad it never came to be and presumably Vale withdrew the offer and decided not to touch him with a bargepole as soon as the arrest was known about.

I would certainly have hoped if it had appointed him then we would have dealt with the issue responsibly and not tried to brush it under the carpet.

I don't know any of the details, but I'm in no way surprised that we were after him as Coach. Crewe fans on twitter are trying to sling mud our way as a result of this...why I've no idea. At that time, he was the best youth coach around and regularly produced top quality youth players. When Crewe were providing glowing references to the likes of Dominoes, and no doubt Stoke, I'm sure Vale would have had no reasons not to go after him.

Interesting about the reference to Ferguson removing him from their ground. Given the links between Rudge and Fergie, I wonder whether that had any influence on Vale not going ahead with his appointment.

Its a disgrace that Bowler Gradi and the Crewe board were told by another director of the allegations from a parent yet did nothing just swept it under the carpet. Gradi admits he himself took boys to stay at his home. I know one youngster a neihbour of mine who stayed at his house at weekends, his father told me of his concerns. Bowler and Gradi need to be kicked out of football and should be facing police action.

Archived