onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Swindon Town v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Just got back, not sure why I bothered to read through the last few pages other than to catch up the usual trolls and critics who weren’t even there. Who is even putting the player ratings on here? Some of those are way off imo. Are thy based off the radio commentary?

Anyway there was very little between both sides today. As a neutral you wouldn’t have thought there was much of a gulf between us as the positions may indicate. But unfortunately yet again it came down to individual errors that have cost us. So my take on those were the first saw Montano switch off for a split second and give Taylor space to run off him, before Richards found space himself in the box whilst our centre halves were ball watching. Second is a complete calamity, poor clearance from Boot and a poor touch from Howkins and they were in one on one. Third looked like Montano got caught under the ball (maybe that’s harsh on him as I’ve not seen it back yet) and I’m not sure their striker meant the finish but it doesn’t matter as it went in. But certainly for the first 2 we can’t keep making errors like that, people will post on here and social media and slate the defence and they will get stick as a collective, but how can you possibly account for individuals going out and making mistakes like that or not doing their jobs properly? You just can’t legislate for it. Listening to Aspin on the way home and he said the same himself, it must be frustrating that it keeps happening. He drops players for bad mistakes and the ones that come in do the same. Howkins started off looking really nervous and Boots kicking was poor for him first half too, I also get the impression from players reactions that he isn’t much of a talker either?

Despite those mistakes I thought we looked much more up for it first half, we defended properly, just heading and kicking it away with no frills, midfield pressed better and we scored 2 good goals from set pieces. I thought Tonge and Pugh did well in there. My only criticism (mistakes aside) of that first half is that Gibbons didn’t push on much, although I’m not sure if that’s under orders from the management or maybe their formation dictated that he couldn’t get out. I suspect the latter based on them pushing 3 up front at times.

Second half I felt Aspins decision to push Gibbons up was a master stroke, as it not only took Matt Taylor out of the game but it also allowed him more license to push on and get crosses in and that’s exactly what he did. First half Worral and Harness didn’t have the disciple to cut out Taylor’s threat. I thought initially we had gone wing backs but as the half wore on it was definitely 4-4-2 with Hannant and Gibbons pushing up higher when necessary. I don’t think they created much at all second half, and I felt we had the better of it at times, so to concede so late was a killer. I actually thought Montano played well apart from that final goal, especially considering it’s not his natural position. Pope and Barnett battled well and won their fair share of headers. Hannant worked hard again, without as much quality this week and I thought he was lucky to stay on the pitch at the end after that challenge, when he got a bit of revenge on their lad.

Overall there’s more positives to take out of this week than last, but if you analyse the goals scored against us this week and last week then the majority come down to individual mistakes.

We’ve seen some of our more consistent players namely Smith and Gibbons come in for some over the top stick this week imo, yet we have far more pressing issues in other positions namely keeper and left back for starters. But get used to Smith and Gibbons, they along with Worrall, Hannant and Pope will probably be the players we build a squad around for the next couple of seasons. It’s going to be a huge job for Aspin.

Interesting seeing some of the posts on here calling for him to be sacked, which just shows how little understanding some people actually have of our situation and how we got into this mess. How can we be expected to build something if we changed manager again? We’ve already had 2 managers do 2 rebuilding jobs in the last 2 summers and now Aspin has to do the same come this summer. We need stability and time for someone to build it up again, it just isn’t going to happen over night, I think we’re in this league for a few more seasons.

Just got back, not sure why I bothered to read through the last few pages other than to catch up the usual trolls and critics who weren’t even there. Who is even putting the player ratings on here? Some of those are way off imo. Are thy based off the radio commentary?

Anyway there was very little between both sides today. As a neutral you wouldn’t have thought there was much of a gulf between us as the positions may indicate. But unfortunately yet again it came down to individual errors that have cost us. So my take on those were the first saw Montano switch off for a split second and give Taylor space to run off him, before Richards found space himself in the box whilst our centre halves were ball watching. Second is a complete calamity, poor clearance from Boot and a poor touch from Howkins and they were in one on one. Third looked like Montano got caught under the ball (maybe that’s harsh on him as I’ve not seen it back yet) and I’m not sure their striker meant the finish but it doesn’t matter as it went in. But certainly for the first 2 we can’t keep making errors like that, people will post on here and social media and slate the defence and they will get stick as a collective, but how can you possibly account for individuals going out and making mistakes like that or not doing their jobs properly? You just can’t legislate for it. Listening to Aspin on the way home and he said the same himself, it must be frustrating that it keeps happening. He drops players for bad mistakes and the ones that come in do the same. Howkins started off looking really nervous and Boots kicking was poor for him first half too, I also get he impr soon from players reactions that he isn’t much of a talker either?

Despite those mistakes I thought we looked much more up for it first half, we defended properly, just heading and kicking it away with no frills, midfield pressed better and we scored 2 good goals from set pieces. I thought Tonge and Pugh did well in there. My only criticism (mistakes aside) of that first half is that Gibbons didn’t push on much, although I’m not sure if that’s under orders from the management or maybe their formation dictated that he couldn’t get out. I suspect the latter based on them pushing 3 up front at times.

Second half I felt Aspins decision to push Gibbons up was a master stroke, as it not only took Matt Taylor out of the game but it also allowed him more license to push on and get crosses in and that’s exactly what he did. First half Worral and Harness didn’t have the disciple to cut out Taylor’s threat. I thought initially we had gone wing backs but as the half wore on it was definitely 4-4-2 with Hannant and Gibbons pushing up higher when necessary. I don’t think they created much at all second half, and I felt we had the better of it at times, so to concede so late was a killer. I actually thought Montano played well apart from that final goal, especially considering it’s not his natural position. Pope and Barnett battled well and won their fair share of headers. Hannant worked hard again, without as much quality this week and I thought he was lucky to stay on the pitch at the end after that challenge, when he got a bit of revenge on their lad.

Overall there’s more positives to take out of this week than last, but if you analyse the goals scored against us this week and last week then the majority come down to individual mistakes.

We’ve seen some of our more consistent players namely Smith and Gibbons come in for some over the top stick this week imo, yet we have far more pressing issues in other positions namely keeper and left back for starters. But get used to Smith and Gibbons, they along with Worrall, Hannant and Pope will probably be the players we build a squad around for the next couple of seasons. It’s going to be a huge job for Aspin.

Interesting seeing some of the posts on here calling for him to be sacked, which just shows how little understanding some people actually have of our situation and how we got into this mess. How can we be expected to build something if we changed manager again? We’ve already had 2 managers do 2 rebuilding jobs in the last 2 summers and now Aspin has to do the same come this summer. We need stability and time for someone to build it up again, it just isn’t going to happen over night, I think we’re in this league for a few more seasons.

Excellent post. Agree with every word.

Excellent post. We were desperate in Jan for a Keeper and a LB. it is absolutely criminal that we did not sign proven players for these positions

Anyway there was very little between both sides today. As a neutral you wouldn’t have thought there was much of a gulf between us as the positions may indicate. But unfortunately yet again it came down to individual errors that have cost us. So my take on those were the first saw Montano switch off for a split second and give Taylor space to run off him, before Richards found space himself in the box whilst our centre halves were ball watching. Second is a complete calamity, poor clearance from Boot and a poor touch from Howkins and they were in one on one. Third looked like Montano got caught under the ball (maybe that’s harsh on him as I’ve not seen it back yet) and I’m not sure their striker meant the finish but it doesn’t matter as it went in. But certainly for the first 2 we can’t keep making errors like that, people will post on here and social media and slate the defence and they will get stick as a collective, but how can you possibly account for individuals going out and making mistakes like that or not doing their jobs properly? You just can’t legislate for it. Listening to Aspin on the way home and he said the same himself, it must be frustrating that it keeps happening. He drops players for bad mistakes and the ones that come in do the same. Howkins started off looking really nervous and Boots kicking was poor for him first half too, I also get he impr soon from players reactions that he isn’t much of a talker either?

There were some earlier posts about Montano being injured, he didn’t look it to me and Aspin didn’t mention it afterwards so where did that info come from?

It beggars belief that we couldn’t get a left back at the least, we are crying out for one. Yet for the rest of the season, one of the most critical in the clubs history, we will be having to make do there. It really wouldn’t surprise me to see montano keep his place for the next game.

Just watched the goals Christ on a bike how hard can it be to kick a football or should I say Boot it.
Just done the same. Oh dear - again. Considering Swindon's third was a little bit fortunate Boot's latest cock up was a massive disaster. He just isn't good enough but nor is Lainton. The only plus side for us is that Chesterfield and Barnet are so utterly dreadful they probably won't close the gap on us, assuming we get at least a few more points before the end of season. Trouble is, if that fat git Smurthwaite doesn't sell up and go we'll only keep going one way and it'll be like Lizzie Yarnold - downhill very fast.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Anyway there was very little between both sides today. As a neutral you wouldn’t have thought there was much of a gulf between us as the positions may indicate. But unfortunately yet again it came down to individual errors that have cost us. So my take on those were the first saw Montano switch off for a split second and give Taylor space to run off him, before Richards found space himself in the box whilst our centre halves were ball watching. Second is a complete calamity, poor clearance from Boot and a poor touch from Howkins and they were in one on one. Third looked like Montano got caught under the ball (maybe that’s harsh on him as I’ve not seen it back yet) and I’m not sure their striker meant the finish but it doesn’t matter as it went in. But certainly for the first 2 we can’t keep making errors like that, people will post on here and social media and slate the defence and they will get stick as a collective, but how can you possibly account for individuals going out and making mistakes like that or not doing their jobs properly? You just can’t legislate for it. Listening to Aspin on the way home and he said the same himself, it must be frustrating that it keeps happening. He drops players for bad mistakes and the ones that come in do the same. Howkins started off looking really nervous and Boots kicking was poor for him first half too, I also get the impression from players reactions that he isn’t much of a talker either?

Thank Christ for a voice of sense!

I know 100% Aspin has lost the dressing room I've spoken to 3 players tonight who all confirmed.
So this is the second manager that is allegedly to blame for these players not performing? Get real. So far this season the player's poor performances have been blamed on the managers, pitch, gavin gunning and ryan boot. Theme emerging with a common presence?

So this is the second manager that is allegedly to blame for these players not performing? Get real. So far this season the player's poor performances have been blamed on the managers, pitch, gavin gunning and ryan boot. Theme emerging with a common presence?

Makes you wonder doesnt it how they ever become professionals if true which i hope it isnt and if i had a choice of who keep Aspin ( who was part of our team who always overcome obstacles and opposition )or the players who havent won a game since Dec 31 and have not deserved to then id Keep Aspin .

The manager cannot legislate for poor giveaway goals each and every game we play in general .

I dont usually watch the highlights when Vale lose so i havent seen the goals but the fact Marc Richards scored twice is very telling .

I never really rated him and thought he very rarely put a all round good performance in yet he as done v Vale a few times since leaving and both goals were avoidable if players do there jobs .

When u have to score 4 win a game it starts getting on your nerves .

Full respect to the away followers who spent there hard earned watch Vale give a late present to Swindon and go home major disappointed again .

One point above Crewe tells you what a joke of a season it is turning out be yet again .

Wheres the next win coming from ?

Can our goalkeepers not give average teams a leg up .

Can our young defence not give people free headers .

We are looking lkke we are one of the two to go down unless we play as a team with no errors but if watch the highlights of all the 49 goals conceded this season i bet there isnt 2 which were you cannot do nothing about that .

The other 47 goals were all avoidable and poor to say the least .

UTV

Archived