onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Daniel Sturridge - why do clubs bother ?

RailwayRowdy

Tonight, Sturridge plunged new depths of fleecing clubs he plays for. The six figure a week player was “injured” less than three minutes after kick off in Albion’s relegation battle at Stamford Bridge. However, the “injury” did not prevent him running off the pitch and straight down the tunnel. He may well have a talent, but he’s as good as me in the treatment room. Why do clubs entertain him and others of a similar ilk ?:doh:

Advert

Tonight, Sturridge plunged new depths of fleecing clubs he plays for. The six figure a week player was “injured” less than three minutes after kick off in Albion’s relegation battle at Stamford Bridge. However, the “injury” did not prevent him running off the pitch and straight down the tunnel. He may well have a talent, but he’s as good as me in the treatment room. Why do clubs entertain him and others of a similar ilk ?:doh:

Fleecing is in my view a bit harsh.

He looked gutted as he came off, on the verge of tears. He jogged off the pitch probably cus he's embarrassed this keeps happening and it become a joke now. Just because he can lightly jog doesn't mean he was exaggerating his injury, just he knew he couldn't sprint, turn, shoot etc.

I genuinely like Sturridge; a quality player and a very nice guy who is getting ravaged by injuries. Will be one of the greater 'what ifs' of English strikers. The season with Suarez he was unreal (even in the spell when Suarez was banned for biting)

Clubs at all levels (Port Vale included) take a chance on players who might have injury problems because at their best they are valuable playing assets and better than they could otherwise sign for the price.

Walsh and Matthews were often injured for us but class when they played. Sturridge is the same. He's a real English talent at his best and I don't suppose WBA could have found anyone else at that price with the same quality. But it is a risk, I agree.

He's played 300 games at club and international level at the age of 28. Lee Matthews retired at that age with 138 appearances. Pugh has only 112 more appearances and he's seven years older than Sturridge. But he is certainly injury prone and therefore cannot be relied upon.

It was only the other week pundits were saying West Brom have signed Sturridge so they'll be fine. He's injured now and they saying the Baggies are certain to go down.

Chelsea, Man City and now Liverpool have all packed him off. Are they all wrong? As Old Sage correctly points out, he piggy backed off the back of a genuine world class player for a year in Suarez several years ago, and has never shown the same quality since.

City didn't "pack him off", he refused their offer of a new contract and moved up to a bigger club.

City didn't "pack him off", he refused their offer of a new contract and moved up to a bigger club.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/manchester-city-dont-regret-letting-7205259

Perhaps you are right Mr H. However, this article suggests perhaps City were not that bothered Sturridge made the decision he did.

I don't know why he is injured continually but wasn't Michael Owen injury prone with hamstring problems, on and off, all his career?

Forrester has been a bit like that for us and, as Aspin said the other week, perhaps some of it is a mental thing in that you are always wary that it might happen again at any time and therefore never prepared mentally to stretch that extra half a yard in case something untoward occurs.

I guess no one is more frustrated than the player himself in all this. It's bad enough being injured and not playing but if it's niggling away in the back of your mind all the time it must be really hard to deal with.

A 100% fit Sturridge would walk into the England squad. He's got loads of talent. It's a real shame.

Archived