onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Worst pitch in league football and the National league

Tinheadman

Advert

Just another thought. Why has the pitch been taken in so far in recent seasons?

Is it because we don't have any decent wingers any more and are wanting to make the playing area smaller or is it something to do with the state of the pitch and drainage problems?

Is it because we don't have any decent wingers any more and are wanting to make the playing area smaller or is it something to do with the state of the pitch and drainage problems?

To put more distance from the fans to the linesmen so we can't lynch them after every poor decision!:laugh:

The pitch was dug up and a sand layer or some thing like that put down about 10yrs ago, to be fair to speedie when even the premier grounds have been shown some had hardly any grass on, and ours looked great, is it because this last couple of years we have had a great deal of wet weather, and its been too much for that sand layer to handle, most of the green spaces in this area are really water logged and boggy...

For those of us who are of an older generation we can remember when the pitch was RAISED near 4 foot above the terracing because it was known to have drainage issues, This was because the whole area was a tip and all sorts of **** was dumped in it to cheaply raise the level in 1948/49 era. Once it was full there was a layer of clay put all over it to keep the crap from bubbling up. Then the soil was put on top and all around the pitch was a nice concrete wall and at the bottom of the concrete wall there were 4" holes that were always dripping water - this was the drainage ... And low and behold Bill Bell went and built the terracing up so that all the initial drainage pipes were covered in concrete . So the problem precedes Smurf by several years. I'm sure there must be others in their 50s and 60s who remember the wall all around the pitch ?

But hey - ang on a minute didn't the pitch get dowsed in many fire tenders full of water prior to The Tottenham game ? Wasn't the pitch so **** that Tottenham wouldn't risk Ardilles ? And didnt we win through guts, drive, ambition, passion and a never give in attitude - Can't remember anyone complaining about the pitch then other than Tottenham and Jimmy Greaves .

True. I'm owd enough to remember post 1951 issues and the Spurs pitch too, as a Firefighter at the time

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

I've recently watched the Spurs video on You Tube and the pitch there was 100% worse than it is today yet we managed to beat Spurs that day, played some good stuff and there were no complaints other than from Tottenham.

I have to laugh that we now have pitch complaints from players with very limited ability, because I know for certain the side that beat Spurs on that dreadful pitch would thrash this current team on any surface.

Steve Speed is doing grand job in difficult circumstances, but with no cash the situation will not change so players have to adapt and get on with it.

I totally agree that the previous Rudge teams would put the current team to the sword even on this pitch. You only have to watch the old matches on youtube to see the work rate and effort that went in and that was at a time when there was only 1 substitution allowed. And yes I have fond memories of the bycars stand and the drainage channels in the 4ft drop which my brother used to run around in whilst me, my dad and cousins used to watch the match.

The stories about the history of the pitch are really instructive. My guess is that once they start to drill test bore holes to quote for the cost of a new one, the repair work will be enormous. Either that or, just like when we built the Lorne Street stand, they'll find all sorts of complications when they start digging, though they wouldn't be going anywhere near as far down. Personally, whatever the reasons for our lack of quality at present, I hope our priority is getting some better players, then we can start on the pitch. It's a bit of an embarassment to be honest.

I wish they would bring it in even further Sage. We may be able to beat the first man at any attempt at a cross we put it then :). It’s that wide we very rarely whip a cross in with pace!

Archived