onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Is there any point in honesty in the modern game?

philmpv

Advert

Alexis Sanchez given a sixteen month suspended prison sentence and a £525,000 fine for tax fraud.

On his current salary he’ll have it paid off by the end of next week. I say don’t fine them as it’s like us being fined 2s&6d. Just throw them straight in the slammer with no appeal. He could then get to know Messi & Ronaldo a bit better. The meeting of three great minds ?. Not quite Yalta is it ?

I can understand what Aspin is trying to in still in the players. However, other managers don't work that way and teach their players to fall down at the slightest touch.

Then you see players pushing and arguing with the ref. Managers storming onto the pitch and arguing with the 4th official. It has just becoming another part of the game by the looks of things. Money means everything now and so teams are trying to win by all sorts of means fair and underhanded..

Wonder how long it will be before Aspin says - I got it wrong guys. Do as they do. Fall over, argue with the ref and we will be doing the same with the 4th official to try and get the win. when that happens it will be a sad day. Wish the football refs were more like Rugby refs.

Not a defender of refs as we seem to get our share of poor ones down the Vale . Having said that most managers are happy to point out when its the opposition players who are cheating. The same managers are then more than happy to overlook their own players doing the same thing.

If the players stop cheating then refs might stand a chance of spotting genuine incidents. It seems footballers are only more than happy to drop their fellow players in it by pretending to be seriously injured .

The referee assistants or linesmen as they were known seem to wait until the referee makes his decision before flagging and don't flag for obvious fouls on players being held and blocked by the opposition players.On Saturday the linesman could clearly see Tom Pope being held but didn't bother to flag it up to the referee.

Aren't the l/m only indicating the ref's decision?, unless the ref asks for the l/m opinion, anyway football should be played similar to rugby. Only the captains are allowed to approach the ref, and players in the sin bin for misconduct, that would stop complaining, diving, feigning injury, time wasting...

The referee assistants or linesmen as they were known seem to wait until the referee makes his decision before flagging and don't flag for obvious fouls on players being held and blocked by the opposition players.On Saturday the linesman could clearly see Tom Pope being held but didn't bother to flag it up to the referee.

As an ex ref(albeit at only local level) I used to tell linesmen only flag for offside and ball in or out of play. Why ? Because only one man can be in charge. We all see incidents differently and I may not agree with his interpretation of what happened. Players then jump on the split between the officials. Linesmen are generally frustrated referees and just want to be involved in the game, hence their continued flagging which, in my opinion, is unhelpful. I used to tell them if I wanted their opinion I would ask. If they flag willy nilly just to be involved (which happens) then we end up with a John Moss at Anfield situation. Only one man can make decisions and that HAS to be the ref. Hence VAR will only make things worse.

• 1 month later...

Archived