onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Is there any point in honesty in the modern game?

philmpv

In this age of constant diving, time-wasting (or 'game management' to use the phrase of choice by managers who condone this), pushing, grabbing and clearly wrong but vehement appeals, to name but a few, it seems to me that the vast majority of managers and players are, quite simply, cheats, who will seek to win at any cost. Whilst aspos approach to honesty seems refreshing and morally right, is it counting against us and other honest teams with weak refereeing? Discuss.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Advert

No longer a sport but a business, the higher you go the greater the stakes. As you say, only the refs can control it. Post match videos can be used at the higher levels to punish the blatant offenders, but L2 is a different matter with fewer camera angles. Do not think that Aspin will change his philosophy, and will endeavour to be competitive with better players. I suppose a better standard of game discipline can only be obtained my more full time refs, is L1 and L2 willing to pay?

In this age of constant diving, time-wasting (or 'game management' to use the phrase of choice by managers who condone this), pushing, grabbing and clearly wrong but vehement appeals, to name but a few, it seems to me that the vast majority of managers and players are, quite simply, cheats, who will seek to win at any cost. Whilst aspos approach to honesty seems refreshing and morally right, is it counting against us and other honest teams with weak refereeing? Discuss.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

There is so much money involved it the game now that it has taken the 'SPORT'out of the game.

Coleman accused us of time wasting the other week and then used it as a motivational tool at half-time to beat us in the second-half.

Morecombe's keeper started his game management in the first minute yesterday and carried it on until the 94th minute.The referee was abysmal and didn't seem concerned about his blatant cheating and added a pathetic one minute extra to the first 45 minutes.He was a bit more generous in the second half though and added four minutes of added time,of which three minutes of that was due to six substitutions.

I'm afraid Ben Toner hadn't got a clue,he booked one player all game and

that was one of our players.Their keeper Nizic kept pushing the limits in the second half for all to see and Toner did nothing.It's ever wonder this 'game management' continues with such weak officials on the field.

The root of the problem lays in the hands of the referee and unfortunately the standard of reffing is next to useless. First of all is time-wasting a bigger offence in the 89th minute or in the opening 10 minutes? Next why do we have linesmen or as they now call them referees assistants and that is a joke because when do you see refs reacting to their assistant? Very rarely I would say. So perhaps we should rename them 'Referees Puppets' because that would be a more accurate discription of them now the refs have those silly wired up head sets so they can tell the linesmen where to stick their flags (I know exactly where they should stick them but it would be a criminal act I'm afraid). Thirdly what is the 4th official all about? What does he bring to the table to improve our rapidly deteriorating game. Do they ever tell the ref 'Boy your reffing today was rubbish'? I very much doubt that. Fourth point why did they change the offside rule because sure as day it hasn't made the game better in fact it just seems to confuse the issue for the officials. My fifth question is why do they allow especially in the lower leagues huge defenders to man handle attacking players especially at corners and freekicks but in Tom Pope's case all over the pitch and they use the 'get out of jail card' that the striker has made a back into the defender. I thought in one case yesterday that one of the defenders on Popey was actually an SAS man putting a death hold on his neck. What did the ref do? Absolutely nothing. Do they not realise that by allowing constant pushing and grabbing the game deteriorates into something of a wrestling match?

Yesterday's game was quite frankly gargage but is that partly due to a very poor standard of the refereeing? I certainly think so because if it was nipped in the bud with a booking or two early in the game the match would surely flow better and improve games into the bargain.

I remember one of the great referees Arthur Ellis blowing his whistle in a bad tempered match and calling the captains together and saying gentlemen are we going to play football or shall we all have an early bath,from then on good football was played.Unfotunately refs of his stature don't exist anymore.

This ‘game management’ seems to drive us all up the wall and it will get worse as new ‘tricks’ become available. Surely it is up to the management and the players from each club to try and cut it out or else supporters will become so fed up with it eventually that they stop going to games which will take away their livelihoods. The visiting goalkeepers in the last three home games have all been guilty of time wasting for long periods of the game and I’m sure that we would be guilty of it too if (on the odd occasion) we ever get take the lead judging by Coleman’s remarks. We pay to watch the football - not the goalie brushing his hair, pulling his socks up, taking goal kicks from the opposite side, missing the ball when the ball boy throws it to him. Fed up with it !

The management and players won't change anything because of the money and rewards a stake in the game now - it is up to the officials. I'm writing this having just watched the Liverpool v Tottenham game on TV, where Alli was booked for blatant diving in the box when no-one touched him, and seemed to accept his yellow card philosophically, as if it was a risk worth taking to see if he could get a penalty. In my view, Kane also dived to get his first penalty, which was saved. Players surrounded the match officials for each controversial decision, and the managers rushed to the fourth official to moan about anything that didn't go their way.

Contrast this to watching the highlights of England v Italy on the rugby shortly afterwards, where the officials are given their due respect. Foul play is called out by the referee on the microphone, audible to all listening on TV, and players are identified by number if they transgress, and called to account. The captains are also spoken to and warned about repeat infringements. Meanwhile the coach watches on from the stand, able to get instructions to the bench as he sees fit. No histrionics or running on to the pitch at the end to remonstrate with officials.

Watching Premiership football saddens me these days, because cheating is ingrained, and it is a lousy example of professional sport for our youngsters. And all this crap about Respect, and handshakes with all and sundry before the game for the cameras makes me sick, since as soon as the whistle blows, the players and coaches are given free license to abuse the officials and cheat however they see fit. And the gutless wonders running the game do nothing to stop it. We need to have evidence made available to the officials as to when cheating has occurred using the same technology Sky use to replay "flashpoints" endless times seconds after it has happened - and if the referee misses it, a fourth official can advise the referee through his headphones when a player needs booking or sending off for cheating. Doing it retrospectively after the game is useless, since the points have usually been won by the cheats.

But will it change when the cheats can make millions for cheating, and referees and officials are constantly being harassed by cheating players with impunity? Let me think....

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The referee is the only honest man on the pitch. He may get odd decisions wrong, but is it any wonder with the 22 cheats that surround him with another potential 6 cheats from another 14 cheats waiting on the sidelines to join in the cheating. Possibly the best solution for the ref would be to award no fouls at all, because he will then make the right decision 99% of the time. A cynical viewpoint I accept, but certainly not as cynical the footballing cheats of today. I hope I made myself clear.

Archived