Home Forum News History Predictions About Contact
Sign in to follow this  
j_grainger10

John McCombe

Whats Remi Street up to nowadays ?

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Unfortunately, seeing as he seems to have completely disappeared from the football radar, I suspect Mr. Brown's 'slip of the tounge' was accurate and he's suffered a career finishing injury. A pity if true because I thought he had very good potential and boy could we do with him in the squad right now.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Boom Boom did a great job for us and played with passion and commitment. Having said that when he left felt his legs had gone and it was time for him to drop down the leagues. That was several years ago so cant imagine he has gained pace, surely lost more.

Still a player remembered with great fondness and if he turned up as an opponents player one I would happily get up out of my seat to applaud.

Unfortunately, seeing as he seems to have completely disappeared from the football radar, I suspect Mr. Brown's 'slip of the tounge' was accurate and he's suffered a career finishing injury. A pity if true because I thought he had very good potential and boy could we do with him in the squad right now.

No, no. Brown denied ever saying that. The supporters who heard him were either lying or mishearing.

That thing where Brown went round the Burslem pubs talking to fans was such a stupid load of old ********, wasn't it?!

One of the rumours re Streete was he'd struggle to pass a medical if he signed for anyone due to injuries picked up. I'm guessing it's true as he hasn't gone anywhere. Sad for the lad if it's the case he'd have had a steady career.

I liked McCombe when he was with us before, good solid CB I was slightly surprised we cancelled the last year of his deal when we went up but he's played pretty much all his career in League Two and now Conference. Probably a bit past his best I'd image and best left there I'd say.

Loved Boom but this is an odd one. The only reasoning I can think for this, if true, is that Aspo wants at least a bit of experience at the back. Our defence is incredibly young, and does need some experience to help out. In January he's probably one of the better available options I suppose.

Mcombe was dire ,no pace always made mistakes and not the sort of player we need to get us out of this mess we are in. Proves he can not do anything for us when he can not get a place in the starting eleven at Chester and they are clutching at straws to offload him . They would be laughing all the way to the bank if we gave them 50,000 for their under achieving player and to take him on loan would not do anything for us except add nothing to our under achieving squad. I hope it is not true that Vale are actually thinking about signing him and have another player with lack of game time and old with no pace cause he is just what we do not want at this stage of the season when we need to accumulate points to stay in this league

Mcombe was dire ,no pace always made mistakes and not the sort of player we need to get us out of this mess we are in. Proves he can not do anything for us when he can not get a place in the starting eleven at Chester and they are clutching at straws to offload him . They would be laughing all the way to the bank if we gave them 50,000 for their under achieving player and to take him on loan would not do anything for us except add nothing to our under achieving squad. I hope it is not true that Vale are actually thinking about signing him and have another player with lack of game time and old with no pace cause he is just what we do not want at this stage of the season when we need to accumulate points to stay in this league

Current ability aside, Boom was one of the most consistent, successful, and well-liked Vale players of the time we were in League 2. We had a lot of garbage but he was a very decent centre half who served very well.

I'm not massively keen on seeing him back but your first sentence is an abomination (I always remember him as virtually never making mistakes).

Hagrid you talk utter nonsense and it is obvious to me you never watched many games he played in. He was a liability for the vale and was carried and made to look better than he was when he played for us

McCombe was a definite crowd favourite and Hagrid is spot on. I think rooserredtrollbloke must have been mishearing 'Boooom!' as 'boo'. I remember thinking it a little bittersweet when he helped us get promoted but in doing so probably made himself surplus to requirements. Doesn't mean I want him back but to slag him off based on his generally dependable performances is bizarre.

Hagrid you talk utter nonsense and it is obvious to me you never watched many games he played in. He was a liability for the vale and was carried and made to look better than he was when he played for us

I saw quite a bit of McCombe including Dartford away when he saved us.

Can you remind me of the major mistakes he made that made him a liability ? I'm assuming you've got several examples.

McCombe is is similar standard to Kay. The main difference is if McCombe makes a mistake he won't be looking around to blame a younger teammate.

McCombe was significantly better in the air. Kay was a very good player a few years ago but had decent pace for a defender, which he has lost. A few years ago Kay had enough mobility to get himself out of trouble. With the two players we have lost we do look more more vulnerable to crosses and set pieces.

Am I being wound up or are there actual Vale fans who don't think Boom was a decent player for us?

McCombe was a decent league 2 stopper for us. It's division 2 and a team needs a decent stopper whose not afraid to put his head where it hurts. If he'd had pace, or was better on the ball, he wouldn't have been playing at division 2 level. He was and probably still is a bit of a lump who makes life hard for a big centre forward. Never bottled a challenge, took the knocks and elbows without complaint. Not the greatest player I've seen but nowhere near the worst.