onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Embarrassing

butt lane vale fan

I,m embarrassed reading some of the posts on this thread. Gunning this Gunning that, hes gone get over it. We have had a not so good January regarding results but that will change this Sat.

Who's to say even if he had stayed the results would have or there again might not have been any different. I might have won the lottery, if he had stayed.

Advert

You read this thread and anyone would think we would be top of the table by now if Gunning had stayed

based on the high esteem that Gunning seems to be held in as some kind of footballing god it appears that Klopp made an almighty blunder signing Van Dijk instead of Gunning :laugh:

You read this thread and anyone would think we would be top of the table by now if Gunning had stayed

based on the high esteem that Gunning seems to be held in as some kind of footballing god it appears that Klopp made an almighty blunder signing Van Dijk instead of Gunning :laugh:

Gunning and Klopp,the 'Odd Couple'?

Gunning is no world beater, that's a straw man argument, but he's an experienced League Two defender and we're in a relegation battle.

Last season you could argue that we went down for the want of one decent League One standard player.

Personally I think the club are right on this one to not break our wage structure and thus badly needed team spirit and also to not try and compete with a club bankrolled by a sugar daddy who is creating a bubble club, if he gets run over by a bus tomorrow FGR will go bust before the end of the season. May as well pay the players with Bitcoins.

At the end of the day, none of us know for sure what the figures offered were.

I would have liked to keep Gunning, I thought he was a good player for us, both at left back and centre half.

If we offered him a suitable wage, good for our club but not breaking the budget, then fair enough. If he still went to Forest Green because of them spending beyond their means then that is their prerogative. I wouldn't want Vale doing that.

Just because Forest Green are paying more than we wanted to, doesn't mean Forest Green have made us look daft.

Ultimately, clubs put a price on players and what they're worth. Rightly or wrongly, we think that Gav was worth less than Forest Green did so he went there instead.

Garlick ought to have fleshed out his answer more to avoid assumptions like this.

Just because Forest Green are paying more than we wanted to, doesn't mean Forest Green have made us look daft.

Ultimately, clubs put a price on players and what they're worth. Rightly or wrongly, we think that Gav was worth less than Forest Green did so he went there instead.

Garlick ought to have fleshed out his answer more to avoid assumptions like this.

He did actually but the first poster based the thread on the Sentinel highlights blog and not the response from Colin Garlick. There was quite a discussion about this on the night.

Incidentally, Gavin Gunning is 27 and FGR is his 13th professional club. Apart from his 90 odd games for Dundee United he's never played more than 20 odd games anywhere. We got 27 out of him so that's more than par for the course. I suspect he has some gypsy blood in him!

As Colin Garlick pointed out last night, if we had matched FGR's offer to Gunning the manager would have had virtually every player in the squad knocking on his door asking for a rise. That would have done wonders for team spirit.

The issue isn't just losing Gunning, is it Jean?

Its that FGR are making the sort of signings we should be making; a 10-15 goal forward like Reuben Reid, a proven League 2 defender like Gunning or Haydn Hollis.

We all seem to have become experts on FGR's business model and its supposed sustainability, but their owner is sticking to his work and is doing far more in his power to keep his team in the FL than ours is.

I was told Smurf would do 'everything it takes'; he isn't. End of discussion.

The issue isn't just losing Gunning, is it Jean?

Its that FGR are making the sort of signings we should be making; a 10-15 goal forward like Reuben Reid, a proven League 2 defender like Gunning or Haydn Hollis.

We all seem to have become experts on FGR's business model and its supposed sustainability, but their owner is sticking to his work and is doing far more in his power to keep his team in the FL than ours is.

I was told Smurf would do 'everything it takes'; he isn't. End of discussion.

Fact is, Hagrid, we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. How many players have we tried to get who have gone to higher division clubs rather than come to us? To get the sort of players people on here are demanding to come to a club in our position, we need to pay way over the odds. Look at Alex Jones last season - we were desperate to keep him but would have had to pay probably more than we've ever paid to a player before to match the Bradford wage if rumour is to be believed.

Now if such an outlay would have guaranteed an extra 1,000 to 1,500 through the gate each week it might have been worth the risk but you know that wouldn't happen.

Running a football club is a high risk business but a lot of people on here don't want to take any of the risk - they just want someone else to do it. I am far from being an apologist for Norman but I can see that there is a limit to how far he can go financially, particularly if there is no response to any investment at the gate. There is a lot wrong with the club but I very much doubt it will be improved to any great extent by living stupidly beyond our means.

Incidentally, with regard to Reuben Reid, he had been out of the Exeter side for a couple of months before he left. Can you imagine the uproar on here if we had paid a very decent fee and big wages for an Exeter reserve!!

Guest TommyMac
As Colin Garlick pointed out last night, if we had matched FGR's offer to Gunning the manager would have had virtually every player in the squad knocking on his door asking for a rise. That would have done wonders for team spirit.

Did Garlick say what FGR's offer was? Without knowing, no-one can say if it would have been madness to compete with their offer.

Gunnings contract was up. Won't 'virtually every player in the squad' be asking for a rise when their contracts are up? It's then up to Aspin if he wants them and Smurthwaite if he's willing to pay them.

You can't not give a pay rise to a player you want to keep and whose contract is up just so you don't upset players whose contract isn't up and were presumably happy to sign the contract they have.

and another thread ends up with normally educated people arguing the toss with an ass hole club.

Couple...plural! Maybe they have short memories of administration, and the contributing factors that cause it to happen? Maybe they don't care? - splash the cash...it doesn't matter...we have to keep up with FGR!!! Bollox

This silly thread just goes on and on, you would think we were talking about Coutinho or Sanchez going. No we have lost Gunning a journeyman defender. Don't get me wrong I liked Gav, he had a great performance against Oxford in the cup. But Just because FGR are throwing silly money out, I don't want the Vale to do the same, let's keep it business like, mark my words FGR will join a long list of clubs who have over cooked it.

For a club that has been in administration twice, it staggers me that we have a number of fans that would happily splash cash we haven't got and would risk a third (and potentially fatal) administration.

The Vale haven't got that cash but Smurf reputedly has and what's more he posted that he will do whatever it takes, or words to that effect, to keep Vale from relegation. After all he has to take much of the blame for Vale being in this mess.

I wish to see Vale run in a business like manner but there are times when needs must and now is one of those times to "Slash the cash" and back the manager.

I doubt there would be much of a club left to support within a year or so after any relegation from Lge2. If Smurf won't fund the club to stay in Lge 2 he's more than likely not going to fund the club to get out of the National League.

Archived