onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Embarrassing

butt lane vale fan

FGR have spent loads getting into the FL. They used to always stay up in the conference because other teams went bust etc I recall! Their owner doesn’t want that to all go to waste after one season to be back in non league so throwing money at it.

Not something we should be doing if we want a club in years to come.

Advert

We were paying remi streete £130k a year, is Gav on more than that at FGR you reckon?

I have no idea but I do recall a number of posters on here giving Colin Garlick dog’s abuse for not offering Remie the same contract in the summer. That would have worked out well!!

and another thread ends up with normally educated people arguing the toss with an ass hole . There are some who must think that because a nutter throws down the daftest statements in the world to get a rise out of them they must challenge the nutter. at the end of the day they will bring you down to their numpty level and they will win because they have been practicing being a WUM for years and years. Please put the shovel down and walk away from the hole and let the strippy WUM go back to the club.

Not embarrassing at all. If a 'smaller' club wants to pay over the odds for a very very average player then so be it. It should not reflect badly on us at all.

For a club that has been in administration twice, it staggers me that we have a number of fans that would happily splash cash we haven't got and would risk a third (and potentially fatal) administration.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Not embarrassing at all. If a 'smaller' club wants to pay over the odds for a very very average player then so be it. It should not reflect badly on us at all.

I wouldn't even count FGR as a "smaller" club in financial terms. They are being bankrolled by their multi-millionaire owner. They are already planning to move into their second purpose-build ground after all.

I think there is some perception among some fans that FGR are some tiny league club with no money. Not true at all. Dale Vince - founder of Ecotricity is clearly throwing money at the club to try and keep it up (after he threw money at it to go up in the first place).

For me, while I wouldn't want Vale to go down through being too frugal I do agree with the club on this one. We have to keep within our means, we shouldn't pay massively over the odds for one player and I reckon that even without Gunning we will be OK.

So to go back to the thread title. It could well be "embarrassing" but the embarrassment may well be that of FGR owner Dale Vince if he's paid a fortune to put Gunning on a long-term contract and his club still go down...

I wouldn't even count FGR as a "smaller" club in financial terms. They are being bankrolled by their multi-millionaire owner. They are already planning to move into their second purpose-build ground after all.

I think there is some perception among some fans that FGR are some tiny league club with no money. Not true at all. Dale Vince - founder of Ecotricity is clearly throwing money at the club to try and keep it up (after he threw money at it to go up in the first place).

For me, while I wouldn't want Vale to go down through being too frugal I do agree with the club on this one. We have to keep within our means, we shouldn't pay massively over the odds for one player and I reckon that even without Gunning we will be OK.

So to go back to the thread title. It could well be "embarrassing" but the embarrassment may well be that of FGR owner Dale Vince if he's paid a fortune to put Gunning on a long-term contract and his club still go down...

I agree and hence I put 'smaller' in inverted commas to emphasise the point.

Will be interesting to see how sustainable their model is and how far it may take them.

That’s a poor excuse. I doubt Gunning was being offered more by FGR than say Tom Pope is on.

We have been down this road before when Leitch Smith left and Smurf reckoned he wanted a 900% pay increase or something mad before signing elsewhere.

Later, he was on less than £1,000 a week at his new club.

I think you should forget about loan signings, they are more than likely always going to go to the highest level possible. If they can play at league one level over league two then they will. Callum Guy played at league one last year, why would he drop down to league two if a league one club is in for him? Thats a step backwards.

Alex Jones used the loan system very well. He came to us, scored goals and put himself in the shop window (which is what these loan moves are essentially). He then bagged himself a permanent deal at club that realistically has more chance of consistenetly challenging at the top end of league one and probably has a bigger wage budget too.

I heard Gunning was offered an 18 month deal on 4 figures a week, whereas we offered him 6 months on 3 figures. That either shows our own lack of funds/ambition or our lack of confidence in Gav as a long term player for us or it shows we can't break a certain wage structure thats in place.

For a club that has been in administration twice, it staggers me that we have a number of fans that would happily splash cash we haven't got and would risk a third (and potentially fatal) administration.

Since we owe Norman £3Million+ in loans and the club has no assets, are we not technically insolvent anyway? Didn't he threaten to put the club back into administration a while ago when he threw his toys out of the pram.

FGR's owner, like the fellas at Fleetwood and Fylde, wants to throw mega bucks at his club to get them up the leagues or at least avoid relegation. Some (lucky) teams are like that. And, no, we are not in a situation like that, so can't and never have been able to splash the cash willy-nilly.

Gunning was a decent player for us. No more, no less. I certainly would not have broken the bank for him. No way. He can be replaced, more easily in the summer.

These critical threads always come up from time to time when we're in a poor run of form. Not so long back it was all about dropping Pope from the team. Lol. A measure of realism is needed, as is an awareness of our financial means viz a viz other clubs.

Archived