onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Embarrassing

butt lane vale fan

Advert

Couple...plural! Maybe they have short memories of administration, and the contributing factors that cause it to happen? Maybe they don't care? - splash the cash...it doesn't matter...we have to keep up with FGR!!! Bollox

You're missing the point, this isn't about Gavin Gunning or FGR it's about the future ans survival of Port Vale FC period.

Its almost the end of January and not much has happened since that promise of funds for Aspo. Then again, Smurf has got what the fans wanted in offering Neil a longer cotract. Maybe that's what he meant with the so called funds!!!Fingers crossed for next week.

Sent from my [device_name] using the http://onevalefan mobile app

Contract

I share the frustrations of many fans on here. For league 2 our gates are good. We have a big commercial department by league 2 standards and should be able to sign league players.

All these recent signings are basicallly non league players that leave the squad as big as ever.

If they are crap, then once again we need a clear out like last year.

Having players with massive gulfs in ability and experience means the established ones we do have don’t need to make the effort and they can call the shots as they are all we have.

Fact is, Hagrid, we have no idea what is going on behind the scenes. How many players have we tried to get who have gone to higher division clubs rather than come to us? To get the sort of players people on here are demanding to come to a club in our position, we need to pay way over the odds. Look at Alex Jones last season - we were desperate to keep him but would have had to pay probably more than we've ever paid to a player before to match the Bradford wage if rumour is to be believed.

Now if such an outlay would have guaranteed an extra 1,000 to 1,500 through the gate each week it might have been worth the risk but you know that wouldn't happen.

Running a football club is a high risk business but a lot of people on here don't want to take any of the risk - they just want someone else to do it. I am far from being an apologist for Norman but I can see that there is a limit to how far he can go financially, particularly if there is no response to any investment at the gate. There is a lot wrong with the club but I very much doubt it will be improved to any great extent by living stupidly beyond our means.

Incidentally, with regard to Reuben Reid, he had been out of the Exeter side for a couple of months before he left. Can you imagine the uproar on here if we had paid a very decent fee and big wages for an Exeter reserve!!

We both know no one would have kicked off with the Vale signing Reuben Reid, Jean. He's a player with an excellent record in League 2, on a couple of months out of form, still with 7 in 21.

My point still stands; in my view, Norman promised us 'anything it takes'. He isn't delivering. Whether thats down to sustainable business practise (which we're restricted on due to the damage to income and attendances that he has caused over the past 18 months), or the fact that he isn't willing to put any more money into the club, we'll never know.

I just want him to be doing everything he can to keep us in the FL (a predicament he has caused), and it simply doesn't strike me, as we gamble on unproven young lads, that he's doing so.

What do you mean "may be"? Of course it's down to fighting against relegation near the bottom of L2 versus joining a L1 club

Hasn't hindered Forest Green though, has it?

For all those taking the high road with 'sustainable business', I doubt many will care come May if we go down and they stay up.

Survival is dependent on investment on players who can come in and improve us, right now.

We both know no one would have kicked off with the Vale signing Reuben Reid, Jean.

You have more faith in some of our posters than I do, Hagrid!

My point still stands; in my view, Norman promised us 'anything it takes'. He isn't delivering. Whether thats down to sustainable business practise (which we're restricted on due to the damage to income and attendances that he has caused over the past 18 months), or the fact that he isn't willing to put any more money into the club, we'll never know.

I just want him to be doing everything he can to keep us in the FL (a predicament he has caused), and it simply doesn't strike me, as we gamble on unproven young lads, that he's doing so.

I'll wait until the window closes before final judgement.

Hasn't hindered Forest Green though, has it?

For all those taking the high road with 'sustainable business', I doubt many will care come May if we go down and they stay up.

Survival is dependent on investment on players who can come in and improve us, right now.

Three or four years ago Leyton Orient missed promotion to the Championship by a whisker. The following year they went daft with money in an attempt to make it second time lucky. Darius Henderson was signed on a reported £12,000 a week whilst Jobi McAnuff was getting paid something in the region of £8,000. It was a huge risk. So much of a risk in fact that Leyton are now fighting against relegation from the National League.

Risks don't always pay off.

Three or four years ago Leyton Orient missed promotion to the Championship by a whisker. The following year they went daft with money in an attempt to make it second time lucky. Darius Henderson was signed on a reported £12,000 a week whilst Jobi McAnuff was getting paid something in the region of £8,000. It was a huge risk. So much of a risk in fact that Leyton are now fighting against relegation from the National League.

Risks don't always pay off.

You aren’t allowed to talk sense on here. If you don’t think we were outrageous to not break the bank for a frankly bang average league 2 defender you are clearly wrong

Sent from my iPhone using the onevalefan mobile app

The point I was getting at, perhaps in a ranting and Ill thought out way was, if it was just Gunning I could accept that. But how many have we lost due to penny pinching and lack of investment. Jones, Marshall, Pope originally to just name a few. Scunny £5mil budget last Season where are they. We spend peanuts &get monkeys like Paterson.

I could accept if they were bigger clubs than Vale but they aren't.

If Smurf can't do it then look for investment instead of doing it all himself. Oldham and Chesterfield are looking at investment, why aren't Vale. I'm just sick of no ambition and apathy at club

Smurfs answer is more fans need to need up. But sorry football is not like that. You need to give fans ambition and hope and then they will come. If the owner shows no ambition then we plod along, stagnating. What is the club doing to entice fans???. Bugger all it seems all the time.

Mansfield, Lincoln, Scunny, Bury, bloody Forest Green, Fleetwood. ***** sake all clubs we would of laughed at years ago. They are smaller clubs but have overtaken us. Why??? Lincoln used to average less than us, but now they have built on promotion and are getting 9000

The point I was getting at, perhaps in a ranting and Ill thought out way was, if it was just Gunning I could accept that. But how many have we lost due to penny pinching and lack of investment. Jones, Marshall, Pope originally to just name a few. Scunny £5mil budget last Season where are they. We spend peanuts &get monkeys like Paterson.

I could accept if they were bigger clubs than Vale but they aren't.

If Smurf can't do it then look for investment instead of doing it all himself. Oldham and Chesterfield are looking at investment, why aren't Vale. I'm just sick of no ambition and apathy at club

Smurfs answer is more fans need to need up. But sorry football is not like that. You need to give fans ambition and hope and then they will come. If the owner shows no ambition then we plod along, stagnating. What is the club doing to entice fans???. Bugger all it seems all the time.

Mansfield, Lincoln, Scunny, Bury, bloody Forest Green, Fleetwood. ***** sake all clubs we would of laughed at years ago. They are smaller clubs but have overtaken us. Why??? Lincoln used to average less than us, but now they have built on promotion and are getting 9000

How do you measure size? Where is Lincoln`s nearest competition?

Archived