onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Ross Barkley transfer

Jacko51

The Mayor of Liverpool is demanding an investigation into the circumstances of this transfer. He has a point!

9 January 2018

Dear Sirs,

Ross Barkley transfer

I write to you as a lifelong supporter of Everton Football Club - and as someone with a broader interest in the future of the game. The matter at hand is the recent transfer of Ross Barkley from Everton FC to Chelsea FC.

It was widely reported and confirmed by Mr Farhad Moshiri, a Director of EFC - in an interview on August 31 with Sky Sports News - that a deal had been reached with Chelsea for a fee of £35 million.

The fee was believed by many, including myself, to be a good deal and was based on him having just a year left of his contract.

However with less than an hour remaining on deadline day it was revealed that the deal had been rejected by Ross Barkley. At the time, it was stated by his agent that Ross had a hamstring injury and had decided to regain his fitness and then consider his options in January.

Since then, Ross Barkley has not played a single minute for Everton. The stated reason is that he has a groin strain. As I mentioned Mr Barkley had one year left on his contract with Everton and his saleable value at the time clearly was based on him having only this period left.

The January window opened and within hours Chelsea had tabled an offer to Everton of £15 million - some £20 million less than offered just four months earlier - a decrease in value of more than one million pounds a week. At best, this represents a very poor deal for Everton Football Club. At worst, it could be seen as a deliberate attempt to drive down a player’s value in the transfer market so as to benefit the player, his agent and the buying club.

As you well know, there is much speculation about the role of agents in transactions such as this and the impact it has on the modern game, including their role in the transfer of players.

I believe that the player has a contract and it should be honoured by both parties but clearly, the value of a player decreases as the contract runs down. It must surely concern you that the value of this player decreased so sharply, losing the selling club over £1 million per week, (plus the costs of the continuation of the player’s wages).

Had he left at the end of the season, it is clear he could then have departed on a free transfer and I accept that would and could have happened, costing Everton more. However, I believe that the circumstance of his transfer now warrants serious investigation.

There seems to me to be at least a public perception that collusion has taken place. While that may not be the case it is in your interest that this is at least looked at to reassure fans that transfers will be monitored more closely in future and that no individuals are benefitting inappropriately.

Football fans are often treated as the forgotten minority and the premier league would not be the fantastic product it is without them. Those committed fans pay exceptional ticket prices to watch their team play which I believe gives them a stake in this whole process and they deserve the right to a degree of transparency.

I am so concerned about the circumstances surrounding this transfer that I am asking the appropriate police authorities to consider whether any fraud has taken place.

As a politician - and someone who supports and rightly welcomes scrutiny under the Nolan Principles - I feel it is right that the public receive an assurance on this matter - and that transfers are monitored more closely. I hope we can count on the sport’s governing bodies to provide those assurances.

Yours faithfully,

Joe Anderson

Mayor of Liverpool

Advert

The Mayor of Liverpool is demanding an investigation into the circumstances of this transfer. He has a point!

9 January 2018

Dear Sirs,

Ross Barkley transfer

I write to you as a lifelong supporter of Everton Football Club - and as someone with a broader interest in the future of the game. The matter at hand is the recent transfer of Ross Barkley from Everton FC to Chelsea FC.

It was widely reported and confirmed by Mr Farhad Moshiri, a Director of EFC - in an interview on August 31 with Sky Sports News - that a deal had been reached with Chelsea for a fee of £35 million.

The fee was believed by many, including myself, to be a good deal and was based on him having just a year left of his contract.

However with less than an hour remaining on deadline day it was revealed that the deal had been rejected by Ross Barkley. At the time, it was stated by his agent that Ross had a hamstring injury and had decided to regain his fitness and then consider his options in January.

Since then, Ross Barkley has not played a single minute for Everton. The stated reason is that he has a groin strain. As I mentioned Mr Barkley had one year left on his contract with Everton and his saleable value at the time clearly was based on him having only this period left.

The January window opened and within hours Chelsea had tabled an offer to Everton of £15 million - some £20 million less than offered just four months earlier - a decrease in value of more than one million pounds a week. At best, this represents a very poor deal for Everton Football Club. At worst, it could be seen as a deliberate attempt to drive down a player’s value in the transfer market so as to benefit the player, his agent and the buying club.

As you well know, there is much speculation about the role of agents in transactions such as this and the impact it has on the modern game, including their role in the transfer of players.

I believe that the player has a contract and it should be honoured by both parties but clearly, the value of a player decreases as the contract runs down. It must surely concern you that the value of this player decreased so sharply, losing the selling club over £1 million per week, (plus the costs of the continuation of the player’s wages).

Had he left at the end of the season, it is clear he could then have departed on a free transfer and I accept that would and could have happened, costing Everton more. However, I believe that the circumstance of his transfer now warrants serious investigation.

There seems to me to be at least a public perception that collusion has taken place. While that may not be the case it is in your interest that this is at least looked at to reassure fans that transfers will be monitored more closely in future and that no individuals are benefitting inappropriately.

Football fans are often treated as the forgotten minority and the premier league would not be the fantastic product it is without them. Those committed fans pay exceptional ticket prices to watch their team play which I believe gives them a stake in this whole process and they deserve the right to a degree of transparency.

I am so concerned about the circumstances surrounding this transfer that I am asking the appropriate police authorities to consider whether any fraud has taken place.

As a politician - and someone who supports and rightly welcomes scrutiny under the Nolan Principles - I feel it is right that the public receive an assurance on this matter - and that transfers are monitored more closely. I hope we can count on the sport’s governing bodies to provide those assurances.

Yours faithfully,

Joe Anderson

Mayor of Liverpool

Good luck with that one Mr Mayor.

I have little, if any, sympathy with Everton as a club because they have helped to create the monster that the Greed Is Good League has become. They didn’t give two hoots for the rest of what was left of the Football League when they played a major part in forming what was in effect the breakaway FA Premiership. Now they are the ones being s**t on they don’t like it. Perhaps they now have some idea how the rest of the “real” football world felt in 1992 when we were cast aside like some old oily rag for the riches of the infant Premier League. But for the record, I think Barkley has acted like an ar**hole.

I have little, if any, sympathy with Everton as a club because they have helped to create the monster that the Greed Is Good League has become. They didn’t give two hoots for the rest of what was left of the Football League when they played a major part in forming what was in effect the breakaway FA Premiership. Now they are the ones being s**t on they don’t like it. Perhaps they now have some idea how the rest of the “real” football world felt in 1992 when we were cast aside like some old oily rag for the riches of the infant Premier League. But for the record, I think Barkley has acted like an ar**hole.

I have misgivings about the Premier league as well. Does that mean I don't ever want to see Vale in it? No as it still represents the pinnacle of the English game.

It needs to be reformed and the FA have missed opportunity after opportunity to do so, this being a prime example (if true). But I still want Vale to be there.

I have misgivings about the Premier league as well. Does that mean I don't ever want to see Vale in it? No as it still represents the pinnacle of the English game.

It needs to be reformed and the FA have missed opportunity after opportunity to do so, this being a prime example (if true). But I still want Vale to be there.

The problem is that the FA see the Premier League as a roaring success so I suspect that they feel “reform” is not required. I too would like to see us feast at the top table, but to actually enjoy the experience and not to be there just to gorge on swaythes of abundant cash, which is all that seems to matter nowadays. No one talks about winning the title anymore, it’s about finishing in the top four. At the other end it’s not about avoiding relegation, it’s about how much money they will lose. Which in itself is rather ironic with the transfer fee’s and salaries thrown away on “Johnny Foreigner” who someone saw on a DVD once.

He was supposed be holding out for a move to Spurs in the summer and didn't want be forced to go Chelsea so turned them down at the last minute.

This mayor type reckons Barkley and Chelsea colluded to diddle Everton out of a few quid. This is the same Chelsea that is owned by a multi-billionaire yeah? Sure they'd try screw over a powerful Premier League club for the sake of a few quid, risk getting hit with a transfer ban.

The day that the premier league,the FA ,the multi-millionare owners and shyster agents play fair for the benefit of the supporters a star will rise in the east and a squadron of pink pigs will land on every football ground in the country on a goodwill visit.:ninja::ninja:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived